Bill Gates says he's interacted with GPT-4 and that the public only uses older AI technology

funkervogt

Bill Gates says he's interacted with GPT-4 and that the public only uses older AI technology

Post by funkervogt »

Gideon Rachman
Are you worried by strong AI? I mean, there was this piece just recently somebody has been talking to Bing’s chatbot and said that they found it profoundly unsettling and that it seemed to have a mind of its own and to be trying to manipulate them.

Bill Gates
Well there’s, there’s all these people trying to make the AI look stupid. But anyway, I mean, it’s fine, there’s no threat. The technology most people are playing with, it’s a generation old. It’s the version three compared to what’s integrated into Bing, which some journalists have and will be opened up more broadly. So it’s much better. It still makes mistakes. You can still get it to say crazy things. You have to provoke it quite a bit, so it’s not clear who should be blamed, you know, if you sit there and provoke a bit. The improvement over the next two years in terms of the accuracy and the capabilities will be very rapid.

Gideon Rachman
Are you worried by the idea that at some point AI might develop a mind of its own, you know, have its own ideas about what it wants to do and escape human control?

Bill Gates
You know, in the long run, if AIs get good enough, it raises questions about, not just did you write your paper, but you know, what will the bans for certain jobs be? And you know, what’s the value of an education? That’s a long way south in the future. There will be some labour displacement, but mostly there’ll be more efficiency. Your ability to research articles or have things summarised for you so that you can write better articles that, you know, helping doctors be more efficient. We’re very backlogged in terms of do we have enough educators, enough doctors? And so for the next decade, there’s a lot of very good things. If it get smart enough, which there’s no predicting me this reading and writing came from scaling up. You know, GPT2 was kind of a trick. GPT3 uhhh it started to say if you understand, GPT4, it’s like, wow! You know, I challenge them in June to do some things GPT3 couldn’t. And then by early September, they showed me that they could do those things. And that was very surprising to me.

Gideon Rachman
About what things were they?

Bill Gates
Oh, pass an advanced placement biology exam (hmmm). And I knew a lot of biology questions so I had de novo so it couldn’t have been trained (hmmm) in these things. And these are super abstract things that, you know, when you read a biology textbook, you don’t remember the words, but you start, you know, what’s mitochondria, what are organelles, what’s the energy balance. You, in a very rich way, store that knowledge in order to be able to apply it. And until really GPT4, I didn’t see that as being, you know, super impressive. This was very impressive coming many years before I thought, what I thought we’d have to add explicit knowledge, storage and manipulations as opposed to just scaling up LLMs and then a few clever things, but it’s mostly a gigantic LLM.

Gideon Rachman
So if it’s surprising you now, there’ll be more surprises . . .

Bill Gates:
Absolutely (yeah). You know, now we kind of understand why it’s not good at math and we’re making it be good at math and there’ll be a lot of competition. Google has very strong people . . .
https://www.ft.com/content/4078d407-f02 ... b41a4afb91

And here's my thread from two weeks ago, in which Morgan Stanley said it had evidence GPT-5 was already being trained in secret.
https://www.futuretimeline.net/forum/vi ... =16&t=2911
funkervogt

Re: Bill Gates says he's interacted with GPT-4 and that the public only uses older AI technology

Post by funkervogt »

I'm both awed and chilled by the knowledge that Microsoft and Google have secret AI technology that is more advanced than anything they've shown so far.
ººº

Re: Bill Gates says he's interacted with GPT-4 and that the public only uses older AI technology

Post by ººº »

Nanotechandmorefuture wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:17 pm
spryfusion wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:48 am Image
If you look at this timeline as 20 years behind as a general rule it becomes even more impressive. That also means amazing stuff has been or is completed by now in the 2020's. Yes some of it would be daunting because you would be putting your freedom at risk like fully digital world as currently in China for at least the past 20 years if not a little more though it is still exciting to see.
20 is too much although I can believe in 10 years behind.