ChatGPT vs Eugene Goostman

funkervogt

ChatGPT vs Eugene Goostman

Post by funkervogt »

Does anyone else remember the "Eugene Goostman" chatbot that passed the Turing Test in 2014?
Nine years ago, I remember a small shockwave made its way through the futurist and artificial intelligence community as news broke that a chatbot had passed the Turing Test. The chatbot, named “Eugene Goostman” by its programmers, was given the fake identity of a 13-year-old Ukrainian boy to trick the human judges into overlooking its grammatical errors and occasionally immature responses to their questions.

...Now we have ChatGPT, which some people say might be the first AI. To see how much chatbot technology has improved, I asked it the same questions Kurzweil asked Eugene Goostman. Here is the transcript:
https://www.militantfuturist.com/rememb ... -goostman/

Unsurprisingly, ChatGPT is better than Eugene Goostman, and with some tweaks could easily pass the five minute Turing Test most of the time.
Jakob

Re: ChatGPT vs Eugene Goostman

Post by Jakob »

I remember Eugene Goostman, I still don't know how the hell he fooled anyone. ChatGPT could absolutely pass the Turing Test if not for the fact that it's programming precludes it from deceiving people.
R8Z

Re: ChatGPT vs Eugene Goostman

Post by R8Z »

The turing test isn't really good at measuring consciousness and intellectual capacity, to be honest. Although it used to be a good benchmark in the past, nowadays it is no longer the case. ChatGPT passes it easily.
And, as always, bye bye.