Inflection AI

Tadasuke

other people's comments on AI and its usefulness, hype cycle

Post by Tadasuke »

It's not just me. There are a lot of random comments like that on the web. An example:

I'm not against AI, I just think that it's way overhyped and overmarketed, like everything. VR was also supposed to be "almost ready to explode in popularity and capabilities" in 2016. Or AR. Crappy Pokemon Go "AR" game regarded as a sign of things to come in the coming years. Not really. It is all always at least a decade in the future.

Virgin Galactic was supposed to take (commercially) people into space (meaning at least 100 km above Earth) for $200 000 for 45 minutes in 2007. It is 2024 and they are still not doing it. It will probably take 20-25 years longer than they expected and falsely advertised. Very usual thing to happen. It can be seen and experienced over and over and over again, every year, every decade.
Global economy doubles in product every 15-20 years. Computer performance at a constant price doubles nowadays every 4 years on average. Livestock-as-food will globally stop being a thing by ~2050 (precision fermentation and more). Human stupidity, pride and depravity are the biggest problems of our world.
firestar464

Re: Inflection AI

Post by firestar464 »

I know that everyone's usecases will be different and AI will be useful to varying degrees, so I asked what your needs are. What's so difficult about this question?

The difference between the things you just mentioned is that people weren't monitoring the trends carefully AFAIK. For AI, people certainly are.