Artificial General Intelligence (AGI) News and Discussions

Cyber_Rebel

Re: Artificial General Intelligence (AGI) News and Discussions

Post by Cyber_Rebel »

He's saying artificial super intelligence within ten years? As in the actual Singularity? You know, I once asked a while ago, (not sure if it were on the older forum or here) if it were possible to "regulate" the Singularity. Back then I believed it was still a while away, a few decades at the very least. "Carrying out as much productive capability as one of today's largest corporations."

I'm sure many here are aware of this video by now. It's even more relevant now than it's ever been. You really cannot justify "work" in a world that Altman describes. I'm curious if people in such a society could be "hired" for certain reasons by said super intelligences, but for personal fulfillment rather than needing to wage slave. If they'll be that productive and generate copious amounts of capital, redistributing that to people needs to be on the agenda. Hoarding wealth to a few CEOs who are just about as useless as everyone else is not only illogical but doomed to fail.

An International Artificial Intelligence Agency (IAIA) is a good idea, but if it's actual ASI and it's coming this early, I'm not sure if you can. It almost feels like you'd need another ASI to help manage said agency and have better discourse with said super "synthetic biology."

The whole thing reminds me of Netwatch from Cyberpunk 2077. Now we really are in the future.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »

Good Lord, I don't believe Musk said that. How could such a comment not attract major mainstream media attention?
Tadasuke

Post by Tadasuke »

We'll see. Elon is just one person. I hope everything changes. For the better I mean. I hope AGI will be wiser than the average human. I hope it will help us create better society and better infrastructure. There at least a significant chance for that to happen.
Global economy doubles in product every 15-20 years. Computer performance at a constant price doubles nowadays every 4 years on average. Livestock-as-food will globally stop being a thing by ~2050 (precision fermentation and more). Human stupidity, pride and depravity are the biggest problems of our world.
lechwall

Post by lechwall »

funkervogt wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 1:12 pm Good Lord, I don't believe Musk said that. How could such a comment not attract major mainstream media attention?
Because he probably has no more knowledge about AI than a standard AI researcher. If someone like Demis Hassabis was to say such a thing I'd perk up and listen not Elon "Space X will have humans on Mars by 2021" Musk
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Cyber_Rebel

Post by Cyber_Rebel »

Powerful artificial intelligence ban possible, government adviser warns

(BBC)
Some powerful artificial general intelligence (AGI) systems may eventually have to be banned, a member of the government's AI Council says.

Marc Warner, also boss of Faculty AI, told the BBC that AGI needed strong transparency and audit requirements as well as more inbuilt safety technology.

And the next six months to a year would require "sensible decisions" on AGI.

His comments follow the EU and US jointly saying a voluntary code of practice for AI was needed soon.

Well, so much for the UK's economy recovering after Brexit if that becomes the case. I can understand regulating AGI and above assuming such is possible, but banning it outright seems neither possible nor logical. It's like Europe in general is going backwards in regard to this technology while eastern countries like Japan are moving in the opposite direction.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »

Marc Andreessen fails to defend his view that AGIs will not pose serious threats to humans.
funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »

Douglas Hofstadter is afraid of recent AI progress and thinks the first AGI could be built in as little as five years.