wjfox
Site Admin

Re: Proto-AGI/Transformative AI News and Discussions

Post by wjfox »

Vakanai

Post by Vakanai »

wjfox wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 4:52 pm
Yes and no. I agree that the bots online will be good enough to trick people that they're alive, we've already seen the first examples of this. But irl it takes more than AI to pass as alive. Robotics will see improvements in the coming decade where I believe that they will imitate natural human movements on the high end - Ameca and Disney's Spider-Man robot being good early proof of concept projects in that arena. But the outside material passing for real living human skin is where my skepticism lies. The fake skin in use now can't pass quite right from the videos I've seen, especially how it hangs on the face. It still gives a creepy uncanny valley vibe seeing these human robots, and I don't know if that aspect will pass any remarkable milestone in a decade. Ameca works because it isn't trying to pass for human, made to look more like some CGI sci-fi character come to life. The Spider-Man robot works because it's in a costume and just has to perform stunts. I don't see us coming face to face with a robot and thinking it's alive even if the intelligence and movement are spot on naturalistic human, which it likely will be.

But then I don't keep up with material science all that much. Perhaps they're onto a breakthrough material that seems more like flesh and less like creepy sex doll. But I'm not sure if I want robots to look so human we can't tell them apart. Seems like an area ripe for abuse - imagine a robot brothel catering to underage rape fantasies, how can we be sure there's no real human victims mixed in with the robot "victims" if they're that lifelike? And that's just one of several dark ways this could be abused in the future. Making them look not really human is a nice safeguard against such potential scenarios.
spryfusion

Post by spryfusion »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

I mean, 100 trillion would literally equal the synapse count of a human brain...
Ozzie guy

Post by Ozzie guy »

Whist a low chance I really hope GPT-4 meets the requirements of Frozen AGI

Gigantic leaps in improvement are certainly not unheard of, pre-GATO we probably wouldn't have expected something like GATO until 2030.
funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »

Guys, calm down a little.