Artificial General Intelligence (AGI) News and Discussions

weatheriscool

Re: Artificial General Intelligence (AGI) News and Discussions

Post by weatheriscool »

The far right and the republican party would rather send us all back into the fucking stone age then dare touch their precious wage slavery. The thing about the founder of A.I doing this is it gives the upper hand to some very evil and fucked up people to do exactly that. A.i would be preferable over what fundies and nazi's would do to our society.
Cyber_Rebel

Post by Cyber_Rebel »

weatheriscool wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 8:01 am The far right and the republican party would rather send us all back into the fucking stone age then dare touch their precious wage slavery. The thing about the founder of A.I doing this is it gives the upper hand to some very evil and fucked up people to do exactly that. A.i would be preferable over what fundies and nazi's would do to our society.
Funny thing is that I'm not too worried about that, for the simple fact that they are owned by corporate interest. Corpo interest wants A.I. development to automate workers, which in turn spurs more advancement into the private sector for better or worst. It's just a matter of developing these technologies fast enough to stem societal decay.

A.I. has the advantage of big data and sociological cues from its training data and many interactions with people. It'll know them better than they know themselves and come up with some especially crafty methods for societal order.
spryfusion

Post by spryfusion »

Google DeepMind CEO Says Some Form of AGI Possible in a Few Years
Artificial general intelligence, a system in which computers have human-level cognitive abilities, could be achievable within a few years, said Google DeepMind Chief Executive Officer Demis Hassabis.

Mr. Hassabis, speaking Tuesday at The Wall Street Journal’s Future of Everything Festival, said the speed of AI research could accelerate from its already-rapid pace.

“The progress in the last few years has been pretty incredible,” Mr. Hassabis said. “I don’t see any reason why that progress is going to slow down. I think it may even accelerate. So I think we could be just a few years, maybe within a decade away.

Researchers haven’t yet agreed on a suitable definition for artificial general intelligence, he added.

“I think we’ll have very capable, very general systems in the next few years,” Mr. Hassabis said.

The development of artificial general intelligence, or AGI, is a hot-button issue in the AI research community. While some observers have described it as a science-fiction concept, Mr. Hassabis and other executives, including OpenAI CEO Sam Altman, have openly stated ambitions to develop the technology while safeguarding humanity from the consequences.

Google made Mr. Hassabis CEO of Google DeepMind last month, combining parent company Alphabet Inc.’s two main AI research groups under his leadership. The company said the move would accelerate its progress in AI.
Read more here: https://www.wsj.com/articles/google-dee ... s-2705f452 (Archive)

Video interview: https://www.wsj.com/video/events/the-ra ... 357EE.html
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

Microsoft announces new features for AI-powered Bing - a quick summary
Educational Purpose Only
https://blogs.microsoft.com/blog/2023/0 ... -and-edge/
Microsoft announces new features for AI-powered Bing [Microsoft announcement Link]. Here's a quick summary:

Bing Chat will have richer, more visual answers including charts and graphs.

Improved summarization capabilities for long documents, including PDFs and longer-form websites,

Image Creator in Bing Chat will be available in over 100 languages.

Visual search in Bing Chat will allow users to upload images and search for related content.

Chat history in Bing Chat will allow users to pick up where they left off and return to previous chats.

Export and share functionalities will be added to chat for easy sharing and collaboration.

Third-party plug-ins will be integrated into Bing chat, enabling developers to add features.

Edge actions will allow users to complete tasks with AI assistance, such as finding and playing a movie.

Edge mobile will also soon include page context, so you can ask questions in Bing chat related to the mobile page you’re viewing.

The compose feature in sidebar can also now tailor drafts based on feedback you give like tone, length, phrasing and more.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

At the time of writing, AGI currently winning this poll by 51% to 49%.

spryfusion

Post by spryfusion »

Xyls

Post by Xyls »

Another AI Hype Bubble Pops

The age of improving giant AI models like ChatGPT is over

https://mindmatters.ai/2023/05/another- ... bble-pops/
funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »

spryfusion wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 6:31 pm
A key quote from that essay:
Given the picture as we see it now, it’s conceivable that within the next ten years, AI systems will exceed expert skill level in most domains, and carry out as much productive activity as one of today’s largest corporations.