Artificial General Intelligence (AGI) News and Discussions

weatheriscool

Re: Artificial General Intelligence (AGI) News and Discussions

Post by weatheriscool »

Intel Says It Will Deliver 5x Increase in AI Performance by 2025
The statement was made during the company's most recent earnings call, indicating it is quintupling down on AI for the future.
By Josh Norem January 30, 2024
https://www.extremetech.com/computing/i ... ce-by-2025
When Intel launched its all-new Meteor Lake CPUs in late 2023, it announced the era of the AI PC had arrived. That's because it has dedicated AI hardware baked into it, and AMD is doing the same with its newest CPUs. Therefore, the race for AI dominance in the CPU world has officially begun, and now Intel is claiming it will achieve a 5X increase in AI performance in the coming years. This signifies that AI performance may become critical when considering a CPU's overall performance.

The announcement about Intel's AI ambitions came in the company's most recent earnings call and was delivered by CEO Pat Gelsinger. On the call, via Tom's Hardware, he stated that this year's Arrow Lake desktop and Lunar Lake mobile platforms will offer triple the AI performance of Meteor Lake. Those platforms will then be followed up in 2025 by Panther Lake on desktop, which will add another 2X uplift for AI. This is the first time we can recall Gelsinger mentioning the AI performance of upcoming platforms on an earnings call, highlighting how important this metric has become for the company's future.
Tadasuke

Post by Tadasuke »

weatheriscool wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:01 pm Intel Says It Will Deliver 5x Increase in AI Performance by 2025
The statement was made during the company's most recent earnings call, indicating it is quintupling down on AI for the future.
Intel stated in 2020 that they would deliver 1000x greater general performance by 2025. They also said it was necessary for both VR and AI.

My personal experience is that since 2012 there hasn't been any significant perceptible improvement with using computers.

In 2012, there were already tablets, touchscreen laptops, 240 or 256 GB SSDs, CPUs overclockable to 5 GHz and there was already Samsung Note II with a stylus. Laptops had Ivy Bridge CPUs, Nvidia 600 or AMD 7000 GPUs and 16 GB of RAM. There definitely was less of everything, but software worked similarly to today, WWW worked similarly to today, video games worked similarly to today. No annoying windows asking for permissions or privacy choices, far less ads on YouTube and far less microtransactions.

Artificial Intelligence is just news, discussions, news, discussions, news, discussions, news, discussions and repeat . For the past 25 years or longer. It has become extremely tiresome riding that hype train for the past 25 years. So much time, so little actual improvement. Mostly more spam, more hype, more fake news and more writing or talking about AI-related threats or hopes which don't come true. Why do I even get that AI newsletter on my mailbox?
Global economy doubles in product every 15-20 years. Computer performance at a constant price doubles nowadays every 4 years on average. Livestock-as-food will globally stop being a thing by ~2050 (precision fermentation and more). Human stupidity, pride and depravity are the biggest problems of our world.
Vakanai

Post by Vakanai »

Tadasuke wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:27 am Why do I even get that AI newsletter on my mailbox?
I assume because you haven't opted out yet? There should be a means to be taken off their list so you won't receive it anymore. :)
Tadasuke

Post by Tadasuke »

I haven't opted out, because I fear potentially missing out on something very important regarding AI. However, with each passing year, my excitement and hopes over AI gradually dwindle.
Global economy doubles in product every 15-20 years. Computer performance at a constant price doubles nowadays every 4 years on average. Livestock-as-food will globally stop being a thing by ~2050 (precision fermentation and more). Human stupidity, pride and depravity are the biggest problems of our world.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Tadasuke wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:01 pm with each passing year, my excitement and hopes over AI gradually dwindle.
I don't know how you could possibly think that, after the past few years of objectively massive AI improvements. It's frankly a bizarre statement.
firestar464

Post by firestar464 »

also
Tadasuke

reply regarding AI's current impact and societies' woes

Post by Tadasuke »

wjfox wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:16 am
Tadasuke wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:01 pm with each passing year, my excitement and hopes over AI gradually dwindle.
I don't know how you could possibly think that, after the past few years of objectively massive AI improvements. It's frankly a bizarre statement.
I've unfortunately found so far, that AI happened to usually make things more disordered, messy, complicated, convoluted, enigmatic, incomprehensible, perplexing, disconcerting, disorienting, unsettling, distasteful and disconnected than before (so let's say in the year 2015 or in the year 2008).

I myself used to be a teenager with very good grades, relatively high self-confidence and relatively low anxiety, despite not studying that much. I could engage in my hobbies, which gave me reasons to live. Later came anxiety and depression, which lowered my IQ by 20 points, terribly worsened my memory and focus, as well as making my life an unfortunate struggle, in which I don't find enjoyment or peace of mind.

I can totally relate to all the billions of people, who cannot comprehend and get the hang of all of this (exponentially?) growing complexity. I hear lots of people not making sense of all of what is happening. Various addictions, social media, short-video content, attention-economy, news and fake news are causing havoc in people's brains, when many retired people don't even know computer basics. Weird times.

I see only two good solutions:
→ augment humans by some transhumanistic genetic-bio-technology or whatever else works best
→ make things easier, simpler, more comprehensible, more manageable, more intelligible and unambiguous for unaugmented humans
Otherwise only a small minority will be happier and more satisfied.

Last year, one attorney got huge problems by using ChatGPT which gave him completely falsified data, which he presented in the court as true - just an example. Every day I try asking GPT 3.5 and GPT 4 something and it gets things wrong 80% of the time. Voice recognition (mostly from Google) works well only 30-40% of the time. AI is basically a silicon-valley techbros lie to make us even more anxious. :-/
funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »

spryfusion

Post by spryfusion »