Artificial General Intelligence (AGI) News and Discussions

Ozzie guy

Re: Proto-AGI/Transformative AI News and Discussions

Post by Ozzie guy »

Yuli Ban wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:27 pm Image
Indeed, I'm starting to get the sense that this whole boom may in fact be a false start towards AGI, that language models have fooled us because of the nature of language itself.
I never really took LLM seriously and I think subconsciously expected this boom and bust of hype. On this website I have sounded like a schizo for using the word GATO in every AI related post I made. This is because it made no sense to me that people followed LLM I kept thinking yes this is a cool tool but GATO is actually a proto type of proto ( :lol: ) AGI.

In a similar vein why should we focus on what Sam Altman is saying all OpenAI have bult is impressive language models when Deep Mind is likely building some kind of proto/frozen AGI.

I think the best way of looking at things is at any given time to look at the one AI that is the closest to AGI and then predict the AI being built that will supplant it as closest to AGI. It seems impossible to look into the future further than that although I really want to as a coping mechanism.
spryfusion

Post by spryfusion »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Nvidia CEO: "We're going to accelerate AI by another million times"

28th February 2023

In a recent earnings call, the boss of Nvidia Corporation, Jensen Huang, outlined his company's achievements over the last 10 years and predicted what might be possible in the next decade.

https://www.futuretimeline.net/blog/202 ... s-2030.htm

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Meta’s powerful AI language model has leaked online — what happens now?

Mar 8, 2023, 1:15 PM GMT

Two weeks ago, Meta announced its latest AI language model: LLaMA. Though not accessible to the public like OpenAI’s ChatGPT or Microsoft’s Bing, LLaMA is Meta’s contribution to a surge in AI language tech that promises new ways to interact with our computers as well as new dangers.

Meta did not release LLaMA as a public chatbot (though the Facebook owner is building those too) but as an open-source package that anyone in the AI community can request access to. The intention, said the company, is “further democratizing access” to AI to spur research into its problems. Meta benefits if these systems are less buggy, so will happily spend the money to create the model and distribute it for others to troubleshoot with.

“Even with all the recent advancements in large language models, full research access to them remains limited because of the resources that are required to train and run such large models,” said the company in a blog post. “This restricted access has limited researchers’ ability to understand how and why these large language models work, hindering progress on efforts to improve their robustness and mitigate known issues, such as bias, toxicity, and the potential for generating misinformation.”

However, just one week after Meta started fielding requests to access LLaMA, the model was leaked online. On March 3rd, a downloadable torrent of the system was posted on 4chan and has since spread across various AI communities, sparking debate about the proper way to share cutting-edge research in a time of rapid technological change.

Some say the leak will have troubling consequences and blame Meta for distributing the technology too freely. “Get ready for loads of personalized spam and phishing attempts,” tweeted cybersecurity researcher Jeffrey Ladish after the news broke. “Open sourcing these models was a terrible idea.”

https://www.theverge.com/2023/3/8/23629 ... ine-misuse

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Bard: Google's rival to ChatGPT launches for over-18s

1 hour ago

Google will begin rolling out its AI chatbot Bard today, but it will only be available to certain users and they will have to be over the age of 18.

Unlike its viral rival ChatGPT, it can access up-to-date information from the internet and has a "Google it" button which accesses search.

It also namechecks its sources for facts, such as Wikipedia.

But Google warned Bard would have "limitations" and said it might share misinformation and display bias.

This is because it "learns" from real-world information, in which those biases currently exist - meaning it is possible for stereotypes and false information to show up in its responses.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-65018107

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Bill Gates: AI is most important tech advance in decades

1 hour ago

Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates says the development of artificial intelligence (AI) is the most important technological advance in decades.

In a blog post on Tuesday, he called it as fundamental as the creation of the microprocessor, the personal computer, the Internet, and the mobile phone.

"It will change the way people work, learn, travel, get health care, and communicate with each other," he said.

He was writing about the technology used by tools such as chatbot ChatGPT.

Developed by OpenAI, ChatGPT is an AI chatbot which is programmed to answer questions online using natural, human-like language.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-65032848