AI & Robotics News and Discussions

funkervogt

Re: AI & Robotics News and Discussions

Post by funkervogt »

In this interview, Sam Altman says that, while inelegant, LLM's like the GPT could become capable of AGI.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Bucking popular consensus, I'm not 100% convinced LLMs are the direct path towards AGI, only pseudo-AGI. I think they're the central nervous system of it, but there's still something else that we need to get to the promised land. We might be hearing more about what that something is in the next few months.
And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
jamestiago

Post by jamestiago »

Did you say that with some work in mind?
funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »

Yuli Ban wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:02 pm Bucking popular consensus, I'm not 100% convinced LLMs are the direct path towards AGI, only pseudo-AGI.
I agree. Still, a "fake AGI" like GPT-5 or -6 will be enormously powerful. It will take years for us to find ways to employ it to its full potential across many thousands of tasks.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

lechwall

Post by lechwall »

Yuli Ban wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:02 pm Bucking popular consensus, I'm not 100% convinced LLMs are the direct path towards AGI, only pseudo-AGI. I think they're the central nervous system of it, but there's still something else that we need to get to the promised land. We might be hearing more about what that something is in the next few months.
I agree I've been saying this for a long tine
Did you read the paper Microsoft released about an early version of GPT 4
https://arxiv.org/abs/2303.12712
If so well worth a read the main problem on the road to AGI appears to be developing planning and giving the AI a long term memory which its not clear LLM's can do with available resources
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

Geordie Rose – AI Humanoid Robot is the Biggest Business in the World
March 26, 2023 by Brian Wang

https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2023/03/g ... world.html

Geordi Rose is the CEO of Sanctuary AI, which has about $100 million in funding. They have deployed humanoid robots into actual commercial retail stores under a test program. During a week-long pilot test, the store, owned by retail chain Canada Tire Corporation (CTC), saw its mechanical intern handle 110 different retail-related activities in the front and back of the store. These included picking and packing merchandise, sales floor replenishment, cleaning, tagging, labeling, store display compliance, and folding – tasks that previously had been demonstrated only in a Sanctuary AI lab set up to mirror the store.
superfishy

Post by superfishy »

The RLHF methodology of OpenAI doesn't seem like a very elegant path to AGI. Somewhat akin to how fusion power will ultimately come from making steam to spin a turbine lol. Either way I'm excited and more than a little scared about the future of AI and how fast its seeming to come upon us.

I have a degree in history and wrote a paper on the microhistory of average citizens during the industrial revolution and how oblivious they were in the moment to the vast changes approaching society as a result. We are in one of those revolutions now and its quite exciting, though I'd be surprised if society 20-30 years from now resembles anything to the current paradigm. Technological change is far outpacing the ability for governments and economies to adapt and for the first time I'm questioning if we will be able to handle it. I'm generally not a pessimistic person but I'd say the chance of a societal collapse in the next couple of decades isn't as unlikely as I'd like it to be. As a result of this, I've officially stopped contributing to my 401k :lol:. Societal collapse or no, I'm convinced by the time I'm of retirement age things will be a lot different..
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

superfishy wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:57 am The RLHF methodology of OpenAI doesn't seem like a very elegant path to AGI. Somewhat akin to how fusion power will ultimately come from making steam to spin a turbine lol. Either way I'm excited and more than a little scared about the future of AI and how fast its seeming to come upon us.

I have a degree in history and wrote a paper on the microhistory of average citizens during the industrial revolution and how oblivious they were in the moment to the vast changes approaching society as a result. We are in one of those revolutions now and its quite exciting, though I'd be surprised if society 20-30 years from now resembles anything to the current paradigm. Technological change is far outpacing the ability for governments and economies to adapt and for the first time I'm questioning if we will be able to handle it. I'm generally not a pessimistic person but I'd say the chance of a societal collapse in the next couple of decades isn't as unlikely as I'd like it to be. As a result of this, I've officially stopped contributing to my 401k :lol:. Societal collapse or no, I'm convinced by the time I'm of retirement age things will be a lot different..
I honestly believe that any collapse will come from idiocy and the hatred of knowledge. It will come from the rights utter hatred of knowledge and advancement and the acceptance of such. People that are attacking chat-gpt are probably going to be part of the reasons that these people get elected that are spreading nothing but hatred throughout our society.
ººº

Post by ººº »

It's not just the right.