AI & Robotics News and Discussions

weatheriscool

Re: AI & Robotics News and Discussions

Post by weatheriscool »

Nvidia unveils AI supercomputer that will put you out of a job much faster
By Michael Irving
May 29, 2023
https://newatlas.com/computers/nvidia-a ... dgx-gh200/
While AI systems amaze and alarm the world in equal measure, they’re about to get even more powerful. Nvidia has announced a new class of supercomputer that will train the next generation of AI models, and put us all out of work far faster.

The new system is known as the Nvidia DGX GH200, and it will apparently be capable of a massive 1 exaflop of performance. Between the 256 GH200 “superchips” it’s made of, the system will pack an astonishing 144 TB of shared memory, which is 500 times more than Nvidia’s previous supercomputer, the DGX A100, unveiled just three years ago.

To wring out every last drop of power, each GH200 superchip is made up of the company’s Grace CPU and H100 Tensor Core GPU in one package, letting them communicate with each other seven times faster than a PCIe connection and using just one-fifth of the electricity. They’ll all be connected together through the Nvidia NVLink Switch System, to function together as one big GPU.

The resulting supercomputer will be used to train the successors to ChatGPT and other generative AI and large language models. That most famous of AI systems was trained on a custom supercomputer that Microsoft built out of tens of thousands of Nvidia’s earlier A100 GPUs. The company is once again among the first in line for the new gear, along with Meta and Google Cloud.

Nvidia isn’t just supplying other companies with equipment though – it’s also announced plans to build its own DGX GH200-based supercomputer named Helios. Expected to fire up by the end of 2023, Helios will be made up of four DGX GH200 systems, or 1,024 GH200 superchips, networked together. That would make it capable of a total of 4 exaflops of performance, which sounds like an eye-watering amount of power.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Xyls

Post by Xyls »

:roll:
raklian

Post by raklian »

Personal home robots are coming sooner than we think, perhaps in wealthy homes within the next few years. I'd like one dedicated to laundry duty. :lol:

To know is essentially the same as not knowing. The only thing that occurs is the rearrangement of atoms in your brain.
Cyber_Rebel

Post by Cyber_Rebel »

Xyls wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 4:29 pm:roll:
To be quite honest, I prefer a skeptic to this technology than an outright doomer for one reason. A skeptic will never be satisfied until we have anything less than Commander Data walking around, which means the skeptic will at least not attempt to stop the advancement of AI itself.

I'm not nearly as skeptical, but I can understand the main issue right now is malicious humans rather than the AI itself in the short term. Hopefully superintelligence on humanity's side will render such malicious persons moot.
perhaps in wealthy homes within the next few years
They say the price (at least for Tesla) will be less than an automobile, which means adoption en masse could actually be much faster if said home generalized robots are efficient enough. Imagine these robots running on GPT 5 and above with customized voices from elevenlabs, the future looks sick. 8-) I just hope we'll eventually prefer more humanlike appearances as robotics takes off.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

AI 'godfather' Yoshua Bengio feels 'lost' over life's work

7 hours ago

One of the so-called "godfathers" of Artificial Intelligence (AI) has said he would have prioritised safety over usefulness had he realised the pace at which it would evolve.

Prof Yoshua Bengio told the BBC he felt "lost" over his life's work.

The computer scientist's comments come after experts in AI said it could lead to the extinction of humanity.

Prof Bengio, who has joined calls for AI regulation, said he did not think militaries should be granted AI powers.

He is the second of the so-called three "godfathers" of AI, known for their pioneering work in the field, to voice concerns about the direction and the speed at which it is developing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-65760449

lechwall

Post by lechwall »

wjfox wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 6:29 am AI 'godfather' Yoshua Bengio feels 'lost' over life's work

7 hours ago

One of the so-called "godfathers" of Artificial Intelligence (AI) has said he would have prioritised safety over usefulness had he realised the pace at which it would evolve.

Prof Yoshua Bengio told the BBC he felt "lost" over his life's work.

The computer scientist's comments come after experts in AI said it could lead to the extinction of humanity.

Prof Bengio, who has joined calls for AI regulation, said he did not think militaries should be granted AI powers.

He is the second of the so-called three "godfathers" of AI, known for their pioneering work in the field, to voice concerns about the direction and the speed at which it is developing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-65760449

I'm baffled by how people so much smarter than me (Hinton and Benigio) are all of a sudden shocked that there could be negative outcomes from a technology they helped create.
funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »

I agree that the number of public warnings from high-profile people about the dangers of AI in just the last month has been extraordinary. However, let's remember the other experts who still say the risk is overblown.
The most common reaction by AI researchers to these prophecies of doom is face palming.
Yann LeCun

In an op-ed for the New York Times, Noam Chomsky said that although the current spate of AI chatbots such as OpenAI's ChatGPT and Microsoft's Bing AI "have been hailed as the first glimmers on the horizon of artificial general intelligence" — the point at which AIs are able to think and act in ways superior to humans — we absolutely are not anywhere near that level yet.
https://futurism.com/the-byte/noam-chomsky-ai
But just to articulate where I think the large language models come in: I think they’re going to be better than the Watson Jeopardy! program, which IBM said, “It’s going to solve medicine.” Didn’t at all. It was a total flop. I think it’s going to be better than that. But not AGI.
Rodney Brooks
https://spectrum.ieee.org/gpt-4-calm-down
Xyls

Post by Xyls »

Cyber_Rebel wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 10:58 pm
Xyls wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 4:29 pm:roll:
To be quite honest, I prefer a skeptic to this technology than an outright doomer for one reason. A skeptic will never be satisfied until we have anything less than Commander Data walking around, which means the skeptic will at least not attempt to stop the advancement of AI itself.

I'm not nearly as skeptical, but I can understand the main issue right now is malicious humans rather than the AI itself in the short term. Hopefully superintelligence on humanity's side will render such malicious persons moot.
perhaps in wealthy homes within the next few years
They say the price (at least for Tesla) will be less than an automobile, which means adoption en masse could actually be much faster if said home generalized robots are efficient enough. Imagine these robots running on GPT 5 and above with customized voices from elevenlabs, the future looks sick. 8-) I just hope we'll eventually prefer more humanlike appearances as robotics takes off.
It's not even that I'm a skeptic of the technology per se. But the current hypecycle is over a technology that is still just a chatbot based on neural networks/graph theory. It has no agency and requires an input to do anything. The fact people are trying to claim this is AGI and that we are all going to go extinct is highly silly. Hell, half the answers it still gives are just wrong or incomplete. This thing is simply regurgitating information that human's have already published, it isn't generating anything new really. Even things that might be more predictive like AlphaFold are still just claims, everything needs to be verified, and I'm sure even it's predictions will still be found inaccurate for a long time.

Also if we were trying to make the system predictive vs simply an aggregator we would have to combine them. How do you program what is the right information based on what we know? Does the AI prioritize what it predicts or what is known by humans? The system has very little ability to verify stuff in the real world which makes it dependent on human verification.

Finally, I view a lot of this doomerism as just way to get marketing and push stocks for AI companies up. They have really escalated the "we are all going to go extinct" narrative since the AI stock bubble has already started to burst.

Puh-leezeeeee......
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »