AI & Robotics News and Discussions

Yuli Ban

Re: AI & Robotics News and Discussions

Post by Yuli Ban »

AI Wrote Better Phishing Emails Than Humans in a Recent Test
NATURAL LANGUAGE PROCESSING continues to find its way into unexpected corners. This time, it's phishing emails. In a small study, researchers found that they could use the deep learning language model GPT-3, along with other AI-as-a-service platforms, to significantly lower the barrier to entry for crafting spearphishing campaigns at a massive scale.

Researchers have long debated whether it would be worth the effort for scammers to train machine learning algorithms that could then generate compelling phishing messages. Mass phishing messages are simple and formulaic, after all, and are already highly effective. Highly targeted and tailored “spearphishing” messages are more labor intensive to compose, though. That's where NLP may come in surprisingly handy.

At the Black Hat and Defcon security conferences in Las Vegas this week, a team from Singapore's Government Technology Agency presented a recent experiment in which they sent targeted phishing emails they crafted themselves and others generated by an AI-as-a-service platform to 200 of their colleagues. Both messages contained links that were not actually malicious but simply reported back clickthrough rates to the researchers. They were surprised to find that more people clicked the links in the AI-generated messages than the human-written ones—by a significant margin.
And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
andmar74

Post by andmar74 »

Jeff Hawkins: The Thousand Brains Theory of Intelligence | Lex Fridman Podcast #208
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

Artificial neural networks modeled on real brains can perform cognitive tasks
https://techxplore.com/news/2021-08-art ... rains.html
by McGill University
A new study shows that artificial intelligence networks based on human brain connectivity can perform cognitive tasks efficiently.

By examining MRI data from a large Open Science repository, researchers reconstructed a brain connectivity pattern, and applied it to an artificial neural network (ANN). An ANN is a computing system consisting of multiple input and output units, much like the biological brain. A team of researchers from The Neuro (Montreal Neurological Institute-Hospital) and the Quebec Artificial Intelligence Institute trained the ANN to perform a cognitive memory task and observed how it worked to complete the assignment.

This is a unique approach in two ways. Previous work on brain connectivity, also known as connectomics, focused on describing brain organization, without looking at how it actually performs computations and functions. Secondly, traditional ANNs have arbitrary structures that do not reflect how real brain networks are organized. By integrating brain connectomics into the construction of ANN architectures, researchers hoped to both learn how the wiring of the brain supports specific cognitive skills, and to derive novel design principles for artificial networks.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Impressive... 8-)

-----

Chameleon-like camouflage made for soft robot

16 hours ago

A soft-bodied robot that can change its colour to match its background like a chameleon has been built.

Professor Seung Hwan Ko of Seoul National University told the BBC the eventual applications of the technology would probably be as camouflage.

But he said it could also be used for "cosmetic" purposes to let clothes or buildings respond to their surroundings.

The research is published in Nature Communications.

To make the colour-changing skin of the robot, the researchers used "thermochromic liquid crystal ink" which changes colour with temperature, in combination with "silver nanowire heaters".

The resulting colour changes were fast enough to be "comparable to the physiological colour change found in animals" the researchers said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-58159730

Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
andmar74

Post by andmar74 »

#58 Dr. Ben Goertzel - Artificial General Intelligence
Machine learning street talk.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Lawn mowing robots are here, but face the same challenges as robot vacuums
If there’s a memory about my childhood that sticks out more than others, it has to be the summers filled with doing lawn work for my parents. Since I was a perfectionist, I made sure to do everything right — from using a weed wacker to get those perfect edges, to emptying the cut grass into bags for collection. Well, I haven’t needed to do any sort of lawn work in my adult life primarily because I’ve lived in apartments. But it hasn’t stopped me from wondering about how this chore could be automated.

Enter today’s lawn mowing robots, which to me seems like the kind of thing that could’ve been my savior growing up. Over the last couple of weeks, I’ve been able to check out a Husqvarna lawn mower robot in action. Just like its robot vacuum counterparts, these lawn mowing robots are here to save us from the heavy lifting of cutting the lawn — but at the same time, have the same challenges that robot vacuums have and continue to face. Sure, it’s swell that a robot is doing all of the dirty work, but it still needs a watchful eye.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

caltrek

Post by caltrek »

Rescue Robots Get a Speed Upgrade for Rough Terrain
August 20 2021

https://www.futurity.org/rescue-robots- ... 2614772-2/

Introduction:
(U. Michigan via Futurity) A new algorithm speeds up path planning for robots that use their arms to make their way across treacherous terrain such as disaster areas or construction sites.

The improved path planning algorithm found successful paths three times as often as standard algorithms, while needing much less processing time.
“In a collapsed building or on very rough terrain, a robot won’t always be able to balance itself and move forward with just its feet,” says Dmitry Berenson, associate professor of electrical and computer engineering and core faculty at the Robotics Institute at the University of Michigan.

“You need new algorithms to figure out where to put both feet and hands. You need to coordinate all these limbs together to maintain stability, and what that boils down to is a very difficult problem.”

The research enables robots to determine how difficult the terrain is before calculating a successful path forward, which might include bracing on the wall with one or two hands while taking the next step forward.
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill