AI & Robotics News and Discussions

Yuli Ban

Re: AI & Robotics News and Discussions

Post by Yuli Ban »

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

The Future of Deep Learning Is Photonic
Think of the many tasks to which computers are being applied that in the not-so-distant past required human intuition. Computers routinely identify objects in images, transcribe speech, translate between languages, diagnose medical conditions, play complex games, and drive cars.

The technique that has empowered these stunning developments is called deep learning, a term that refers to mathematical models known as artificial neural networks. Deep learning is a subfield of machine learning, a branch of computer science based on fitting complex models to data.

While machine learning has been around a long time, deep learning has taken on a life of its own lately. The reason for that has mostly to do with the increasing amounts of computing power that have become widely available—along with the burgeoning quantities of data that can be easily harvested and used to train neural networks.

The amount of computing power at people's fingertips started growing in leaps and bounds at the turn of the millennium, when graphical processing units (GPUs) began to be harnessed for nongraphical calculations, a trend that has become increasingly pervasive over the past decade. But the computing demands of deep learning have been rising even faster. This dynamic has spurred engineers to develop electronic hardware accelerators specifically targeted to deep learning, Google's Tensor Processing Unit (TPU) being a prime example.

Here, I will describe a very different approach to this problem—using optical processors to carry out neural-network calculations with photons instead of electrons. To understand how optics can serve here, you need to know a little bit about how computers currently carry out neural-network calculations. So bear with me as I outline what goes on under the hood.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

OSU Dynamic Robotics Laboratory's research team, led by Agility Robotics’ Jonathan Hurst, combined expertise from biomechanics and robot controls with new machine learning tools to accomplish something new: train a bipedal robot to run a full 5K on a single battery charge.

Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Kitchen robot in Riga cooks up new future for fast food
A pasta order comes in and the robotic arm springs into action at the Roboeatz eatery in Riga. After five minutes of gyrations, a piping hot plate is ready.

The Riga cafe, located under a crumbling concrete bridge, is designed in such a way that customers can observe the robotic arm at work.

It also has a seating area, although most customers prefer take away since vaccination certificates are required to be able to eat indoors in Latvia.

A Roboeatz app allows customers to order and pay for their dish before picking it up at the cafe.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

A talking robot is serving restaurant customers in California because the manager can't find enough workers during the labor shortage
A restaurant in Stockton, California, is using a robot helper to serve customers as it struggles to hire workers amid the US labor shortage.

"We are struggling to find people to come in and work, just like every other business right now," Ana Ortiz, general manager of the Sugar Mediterranean Bistro, told NBC News.

"I don't have enough employees to be running around food and serving tables," she added.

The robot was created by Richtech Robotics, and has been given the name Matradee by the company. It's capable of opening kitchen doors, allowing deliveries to go from the kitchen to the table, Richtech's website states.

The Matradee also uses LiDAR, among other technology, to maneuver and detect its surroundings up to 20 feet.

This helps it to carry up to four trays of food and dishes to hungry customers. "So, let's say I'm at table two, I'm taking the order for table two while the robot is running the food for me to table seven. I load up the robot with dirty dishes, and it takes it right back to the dishwasher," Ortiz told NBC News.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

[2107.12544] Human-Level Reinforcement Learning through Theory-Based Modeling, Exploration, and Planning
Reinforcement learning (RL) studies how an agent comes to achieve reward in an environment through interactions over time. Recent advances in machine RL have surpassed human expertise at the world's oldest board games and many classic video games, but they require vast quantities of experience to learn successfully -- none of today's algorithms account for the human ability to learn so many different tasks, so quickly. Here we propose a new approach to this challenge based on a particularly strong form of model-based RL which we call Theory-Based Reinforcement Learning, because it uses human-like intuitive theories -- rich, abstract, causal models of physical objects, intentional agents, and their interactions -- to explore and model an environment, and plan effectively to achieve task goals. We instantiate the approach in a video game playing agent called EMPA (the Exploring, Modeling, and Planning Agent), which performs Bayesian inference to learn probabilistic generative models expressed as programs for a game-engine simulator, and runs internal simulations over these models to support efficient object-based, relational exploration and heuristic planning. EMPA closely matches human learning efficiency on a suite of 90 challenging Atari-style video games, learning new games in just minutes of game play and generalizing robustly to new game situations and new levels. The model also captures fine-grained structure in people's exploration trajectories and learning dynamics. Its design and behavior suggest a way forward for building more general human-like AI systems.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Australian court rules an AI can be considered an inventor on patent filings
An Australian Court has decided that an artificial intelligence can be recognised as an inventor in a patent submission.

In a case brought by Stephen Thaler, who has filed and lost similar cases in other jurisdictions, Australia's Federal Court last month heard and decided that the nation's Commissioner of Patents erred when deciding that an AI can't be considered an inventor.

Justice Beach reached that conclusion because nothing in Australia law says the applicant for a patent must be human.

As Beach's judgement puts it: "… in my view an artificial intelligence system can be an inventor for the purposes of the Act.

"First, an inventor is an agent noun; an agent can be a person or thing that invents. Second, so to hold reflects the reality in terms of many otherwise patentable inventions where it cannot sensibly be said that a human is the inventor. Third, nothing in the Act dictates the contrary conclusion."

The Justice also worried that the Commissioner of Patents' logic in rejecting Thaler's patent submissions was faulty.

"On the Commissioner's logic, if you had a patentable invention but no human inventor, you could not apply for a patent," the judgement states. "Nothing in the Act justifies such a result."