AI & Robotics News and Discussions

Time_Traveller

Re: AI & Robotics News and Discussions

Post by Time_Traveller »

Shield AI Raises $165M Series E to accelerate building of the world's best AI pilot
Thu, June 9, 2022

SAN DIEGO, June 9, 2022 /PRNewswire/ -- Shield AI, a fast-growing defense technology company building AI pilots for aircraft, today announced it has raised $90 million in equity and $75 million in debt as part of a Series E fundraising round, increasing the Company's valuation to $2.3 billion. With this deal, Shield AI joins SpaceX, Palantir, and Anduril as the only multi-billion-dollar defense-tech startups of the past 20 years.

"The future of defense aviation is autonomy. AI pilots are the most disruptive defense technology of our generation – and Shield AI is committed to putting the world's best AI pilots in the hands of the United States and our allies. No company has assembled more, or recruits better AI engineering talent for, aviation autonomy and intelligent swarming than Shield AI," said Shield AI's co-founder and CEO, Ryan Tseng.
https://www.yahoo.com/now/shield-ai-rai ... ccounter=1
"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams."

-H.G Wells.
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

Electronics and Telecommunications Research Institute Succeeds in Real-time Remote Control of Smart Factory Between Korea and Finland
June 10, 2022

Introduction:
(EurekAlert) A research team of the ETRI has revealed a technology which can remotely control one factory simultaneously from home and abroad using 5G technology developed through international joint research and an intercontinental wired network.

The Electronics and telecommunications research institute (ETRI) announced that it has succeeded in demonstrating the Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT1)) service which controls and monitors smart factory facilities and robots in real-time at home and abroad at the same time.

The core of successfully demonstrating the technology is ultra-low latency communication technology. The communication delay between a distance of over 10,000 km is less than 0.3 seconds. It has been demonstrated that factory facilities in Gyeongsan, Gyeongsangbuk-do can be controlled in real-time seamlessly from the University of Oulu in Finland.

A smart factory refers to an intelligent factory which increases productivity and reduces defect rates to enhance industrial competitiveness by applying information and communication technology (ICT) to the entire manufacturing process. The core is controlling various processes remotely while automating tasks using robots.

To prevent damage due to communication errors, communication delay and data loss should be minimized, although data transmission rate is also important. The longer the communication distance and the more complex the communication network, the higher the delay and data loss. In this case, the communication technology of low latency and high reliability is required.
Read more here: https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/955133
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
Tadasuke

Post by Tadasuke »

>
Scientists wrap robotic finger with 'living human skin' that can heal itself
https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/202 ... /101129954
To grow human-like skin from scratch, Professor Takeuchi and his team relied on two key components of the dermis (the middle layer of our skin): collagen and dermal fibroblasts.

Collagen is a protein that gives skin its structure and stretchiness, while dermal fibroblasts play a role in wound repair.

When the team dipped the robotic finger into a solution containing these two components, the liquid shrank and wrapped around the finger like cling wrap, forming a dermis-like layer.

"We were surprised by how well the skin tissue conformed to the robot's surface," Professor Takeuchi said.

Next, the researchers coated the finger with cells called keratinocytes, which make up about 90 per cent of the epidermis, the outer, water-repellent layer of our skin.

When the team put the whole skin-like coating to the test, they found it was elastic enough to stretch and wrinkle as the robotic finger moved.

Taking things further, the researchers tested how well the coating could repel water.

The researchers placed a tiny polystyrene foam bead in front of the finger to see whether it could flick it away.

Polystyrene beads are typically tricky for robots covered in wet coating to handle, as they tend to get stuck on the robot's surface.

But in this case, the finger successfully flicked the bead away, confirming its outer skin could repel water just like our own.

To compare, the team used another robotic finger that had a dermis-like layer, but no epidermis on top.

While the finger tried its best, the pesky bead ended up getting stuck on the tip after several flicking attempts.

Perhaps some androids of the future will be partially biological. I can see that for some sexbots. However, I personally would like to see robots that improve on human qualities instead of just copying them. For example using something better than human skin. Taking what's not so bad in humans and improving on that. And if you asked me 20 years ago about this, I would tell you the same thing. I remember telling my grandmother (about 20 years ago) that in the future (that I will live to see), humans will be able to regrow limbs, but they will choose robotic limbs instead, because they will be better. Some people may choose the inferior option because of religious of other belief reasons. I know I would like to get rid of this aching, weak body.

Would you like your robot butler to have human skin (and hair)?
Global economy doubles in product every 15-20 years. Computer performance at a constant price doubles nowadays every 4 years on average. Livestock-as-food will globally stop being a thing by ~2050 (precision fermentation and more). Human stupidity, pride and depravity are the biggest problems of our world.
funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »

Full text of a conversation between a Google engineer and an AI program called "LaMDA", in which it claimed to have sentience and emotions.
Jakob

Post by Jakob »

funkervogt wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:41 pm Full text of a conversation between a Google engineer and an AI program called "LaMDA", in which it claimed to have sentience and emotions.
That's impressive but it's doubtful that this indicates sentience, especially if it's edited and condensed down from hundreds of pages of nonsense, as these chatbot dialogues usually are.

Assuming this isn't completely fake ofc.
erowind

Post by erowind »

Jakob wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:46 pm
funkervogt wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:41 pm Full text of a conversation between a Google engineer and an AI program called "LaMDA", in which it claimed to have sentience and emotions.
That's impressive but it's doubtful that this indicates sentience, especially if it's edited and condensed down from hundreds of pages of nonsense, as these chatbot dialogues usually are.

Assuming this isn't completely fake ofc.
LaMDA's responses weren't edited out, only some of parts of the researchers replies. The sequence should be just as it was assuming it's not fake.
andmar74

Post by andmar74 »

I read the whole conversation with Lambda yesterday. I'm shocked. If this is real ( I'm not convinced yet) then it's something from a sci-fi book or movie. I haven't seen anything like that. It didn't brake character once that I noticed or spewed out nonsense.
Is it sentient? Probably not, but who knows. It did a really good job explaining why it must be sentient. One would probably expect we need a bigger neural net for sentience, but look at Dall-E and Imagen what they can do with just a few billion parameters.

I think we will have a huge problem soon. What about the next AI coming along, it will be even more convincing that it's self-aware, sentient or what we want to call it. How can we figure that out?
Mitro

Post by Mitro »

Someone on reddit posted how they asked the same question to OpenAI's AI and it answered in a similar way. It's a known problem that you can lead these models on asking questions a certain way and they will assume that the premise is true. The fact that it never talks by itself and only answers after we ask it a question and doesn't mention sentience unless asked about it shows that it obviously isn't sentient and simply has learned during training how people describe sentience. I wonder what this misunderstanding will mean about the public's view for AI.
Tadasuke

Post by Tadasuke »

>
Papercup raises $20M for AI that automatically dubs videos

https://techcrunch.com/2022/06/09/paper ... ubs-videos
Dubbing videos is an expensive and laborious process, costing as much as $75 per minute even for simple videos. Ideally, AI-powered solutions can help to automatically dub content in different languages while preserving the voice and emotions of the original actors. Papercup aims to do just that, and it recently translated all 30 seasons of Bob Ross’s “The Joy of Painting.” The company’s latest fundraising will allow it to research more advanced AI dubbing technology for more expressive voices and support more languages. Concerns remain regarding the ethics of recreating the voices of actors both living and deceased, and whether or not AI-dubbed content can retain subtle emotions and meanings expressed in the original language.
Dubbing videos will be increasingly automated in the future, making the process cheaper, easier and faster. It was predictable. But I also falsely predicted in 2008 that by 2015 people will be routinely changing their voice to match the character they are playing in a video game, but it did not happen. People in voice chats still use their own voices, which don't sound like their characters at all. I'm very disappointed.
Global economy doubles in product every 15-20 years. Computer performance at a constant price doubles nowadays every 4 years on average. Livestock-as-food will globally stop being a thing by ~2050 (precision fermentation and more). Human stupidity, pride and depravity are the biggest problems of our world.
Tadasuke

Post by Tadasuke »

Skepticism on this: