COVID-19 News and Discussions

R8Z

Re: COVID-19 News and Discussions

Post by R8Z »

Another European country is lifting all the COVID-related restrictions. This time Denmark is planning to end it by the beginning of February. I think my prediction that this would be over this year is going to be met.

And, as always, bye bye.
raklian

Post by raklian »

R8Z wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:28 am Another European country is lifting all the COVID-related restrictions. This time Denmark is planning to end it by the beginning of February. I think my prediction that this would be over this year is going to be met.

I think that prediction is a bit premature. As long as most poor countries (Africa, Asia, etc.) have low vaccination rates, we will have countries re-imposing restrictions during outbreak flareups by new variants. Vaccinating the entire world is the key to ending this pandemic, no question about it.
To know is essentially the same as not knowing. The only thing that occurs is the rearrangement of atoms in your brain.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Spotify removes Neil Young music in feud over Joe Rogan’s false Covid claims

Wed 26 Jan 2022 22.41 GMT

The music streaming platform Spotify is in the process of removing Neil Young’s music after the company refused to take down Joe Rogan’s podcast amid the musician’s objections that it spread vaccine misinformation.

Rogan has been described by the New York Times as “one of the most consumed media products on the planet”. His podcast, the Joe Rogan Experience, is Spotify’s most popular. In 2020, Rogan signed a $100m deal that gave the streaming giant exclusive rights to his show.

But this week, Young posted an open letter to his manager and record label that was later taken down in which he said: “With an estimated 11 million listeners per episode, [The Joe Rogan Experience], which is hosted exclusively on Spotify, is the world’s largest podcast and has tremendous influence. Spotify has a responsibility to mitigate the spread of misinformation on its platform, though the company presently has no misinformation policy.”

The musician added: “I want you to let Spotify know immediately TODAY that I want all my music off their platform … They can have Rogan or Young. Not both.”

[...]

A few weeks ago, 270 doctors, scientists, healthcare professionals and professors wrote an open letter to Spotify, expressing concern about medical misinformation on Rogan’s podcast.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... nformation
raklian

Post by raklian »

Here's something for those who argue because vaccines don't do anything to reduce Omicron infection it shouldn't be mandated.

To know is essentially the same as not knowing. The only thing that occurs is the rearrangement of atoms in your brain.
andmar74

Post by andmar74 »

Here's something for those who argue because vaccines don't do anything to reduce Omicron infection it shouldn't be mandated.
That's just silly.
It's the vaccines that makes it possible for my country to open up completely. 60% of the population has the booster shot. There are only 37 persons in ICU today with Covid, for the whole country. Compare this to the USA, where there are about 26000 in ICU. In the states, only 25.8% has the booster.
USA has about 57 times more people than Denmark, so the number of ICU patients should be more like 57*37 = 2100.
raklian

Post by raklian »

andmar74 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:19 pm
That's just silly.
What is?
andmar74

Post by andmar74 »

raklian wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:58 pm
andmar74 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:19 pm
That's just silly.
What is?
That people can claim that vaccines don't do anything to reduce omicron. Why do that? It's delusional.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Flu vs. COVID: One has killed 7, the other has killed 3,344 in past few months in NC

January 28, 2022

RALEIGH, N.C. — As we’re in the midst of a surge in the COVID-19 pandemic, we’re also in the middle of flu season.

The two viruses are often compared to each other by people downplaying the severity of the pandemic.

How do the flu and COVID-19 really compare?

Death rate comparisons between COVID-19 and the flu since October, 2021
Flu deaths: 7
COVID deaths: 3,344

That's more than 450 times the number of lives lost to COVID in the same amount of time.

While flu symptoms may be similar to COVID – especially for those who are vaccinated and boosted and who contract omicron – the viruses are very different. Data shows COVID is having far more serious effects on people.

https://www.wral.com/coronavirus/flu-vs ... /20102856/
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

raklian

Post by raklian »