Biology & Medicine News and Discussions

weatheriscool

Re: Biology & Medicine News and Discussions

Post by weatheriscool »

Chlamydia vaccine shows promise in early trial
https://medicalxpress.com/news/2024-04- ... trial.html
by Robin Foster
A chlamydia vaccine has triggered immune responses in an early trial, raising hopes that one day it might help curb the spread of the sexually transmitted infection (STI).

There is currently no vaccine for chlamydia, which is the most common bacterial STI in the United States, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

In the new trial results, published April 11 in the journal Lancet Infectious Diseases, the vaccine was found to be safe and it also prompted an antibody response.

"This is desperately needed," David Harvey, executive director of the National Coalition of STD Directors, told NBC News. "We have the highest STI rates in America since the 1950s and possibly beyond."

Chlamydia also remains one of the most common causes of infertility in women, Dr. Jay Varma, a professor of population health sciences at Weill Cornell Medicine in New York City, told NBC News. If left untreated, chlamydia can cause pelvic inflammatory disease, which makes it harder to get pregnant.
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

Tadasuke

about mental illness

Post by Tadasuke »

Looking at how even this sub-forum is focused on all illness, except mental illness, I wonder everyday, if depression (or OCD, ADHD, ADD, anxiety) in people like myself, is an actual illness, or just being weak-willed and thinking negatively or not constructively. I don't know, I feel guilty at least half of the time, but it does not help.

To be honest, I don't want to subject myself to this pointless invisible suffering, but I just don't know how to stop it. It's crazy, I know. All illness is stupid, no exceptions. I wish there was a button I could just push and once again feel like 15 years ago, not like I started to feel later.

Unfortunately, I don't have something positive to post in this regard. There is still something I have not tried, so perhaps that helps. If it helps, I will write about it.
Global economy doubles in product every 15-20 years. Computer performance at a constant price doubles nowadays every 4 years on average. Livestock-as-food will globally stop being a thing by ~2050 (precision fermentation and more). Human stupidity, pride and depravity are the biggest problems of our world.
firestar464

Post by firestar464 »

They're obviously very valid and very real illnesses. IDK I can't speak for the others, but I personally haven't posted mental health content to this forum because I'm already depressed enough irl and don't wanna post about that field here lol
caltrek

Re: about mental illness

Post by caltrek »

Tadasuke wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:56 am Looking at how even this sub-forum is focused on all illness, except mental illness, I wonder everyday, if depression ...
For me at least, stress is very much related to mental illness. We do have a thread dedicated to stress management in which many forms of mental illness can be addressed:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2515
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
firestar464

Post by firestar464 »

Study reveals AI enhances physician-patient communication

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2024-04- ... ation.html
firestar464

Post by firestar464 »

Millions of gamers advance biomedical research by helping to reconstruct microbial evolutionary histories

https://phys.org/news/2024-04-millions- ... truct.html

GAMERS UNITE!!!!
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

Scientists Discover How Tardigrades Survive Blasts of Radiation, and It's Weird
April 12, 2024

Summary:
(Current Biology) Tardigrades can survive remarkable doses of ionizing radiation, up to about 1,000 times the lethal dose for humans. How they do so is incompletely understood. We found that the tardigrade Hypsibius exemplaris suffers DNA damage upon gamma irradiation, but the damage is repaired. We show that this species has a specific and robust response to ionizing radiation: irradiation induces a rapid upregulation of many DNA repair genes. This upregulation is unexpectedly extreme—making some DNA repair transcripts among the most abundant transcripts in the animal. By expressing tardigrade genes in bacteria, we validate that increased expression of some repair genes can suffice to increase radiation tolerance. We show that at least one such gene is important in vivo for tardigrade radiation tolerance. We hypothesize that the tardigrades’ ability to sense ionizing radiation and massively upregulate specific DNA repair pathway genes may represent an evolved solution for maintaining DNA integrity.
Source: https://www.cell.com/current-biology/a ... )00316-6

Here is a link to a Science Alert article discussing this topic: https://www.sciencealert.com/scientists ... -its-weird
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

Two lifeforms merge in once-in-a-billion-years evolutionary event

By Michael Irving
April 18, 2024
And now, scientists have discovered that it’s happening again. A species of algae called Braarudosphaera bigelowii was found to have engulfed a cyanobacterium that lets them do something that algae, and plants in general, can’t normally do – "fixing" nitrogen straight from the air, and combining it with other elements to create more useful compounds.

Nitrogen is a key nutrient, and normally plants and algae get theirs through symbiotic relationships with bacteria that remain separate. At first it was thought that B. bigelowii had hooked up this kind of situation with a bacterium called UCYN-A, but on closer inspection, scientists discovered that the two have gotten far more intimate.

In one recent study, a team found that the size ratio between the algae and UCYN-A stays similar across different related species of the algae. Their growth appears to be controlled by the exchange of nutrients, leading to linked metabolisms.
https://newatlas.com/biology/life-merge ... organelle/
firestar464

Post by firestar464 »

Health improvements occurred worldwide since 2010 despite COVID-19 pandemic, but progress was uneven: Study

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2024-04- ... neven.html