Yes
81%
No
19%

Total votes: 16

Yuli Ban

Re: Transhumanism & Cybernetics News and Discussions

Post by Yuli Ban »

A medical student in India has come under scrutiny after he was allegedly caught cheating with a micro Bluetooth device believed to be surgically implanted into his ear, a college official said.

It was the student’s final attempt on Monday to clear the exam after repeatedly failing it since getting admission into the college 11 years ago.
And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Highly religious Americans more skeptical of human enhancements such as brain implants, gene editing

May 4, 2022

Humanity may be on the cusp of a variety of innovations – including brain chip implants, gene editing and exoskeletons – that could allow people to dramatically enhance human health and abilities. But many Americans, especially those who are highly religious and identify with certain Christian traditions, express discomfort with these possibilities, according to a recent Pew Research Center report.

Among U.S. adults with a high level of religious commitment, 81% say that the widespread use of computer chip brain implants for faster and more accurate information processing would be “meddling with nature and crosses a line we should not cross.” In contrast, Americans with a low level of religious commitment are evenly divided on this question: 50% say that brain chip implants cross a line that should not be crossed, and 49% more closely identify with the notion that “we are always trying to better ourselves and this idea is no different.”

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2 ... e-editing/
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Elon Musk says humans could eventually download their brains into robots — and Grimes thinks Jeff Bezos would do it

Sat, Apr 9 20221:21 AM EDT

Elon Musk says a lot of seemingly fantastical things. For example: The billionaire Tesla and SpaceX CEO seems to believe that humans will eventually be able to live forever, by downloading their brains into robots.

“I think it is possible,” Musk, 50, recently told Insider. “Yes, we could download the things that we believe make ourselves so unique. Now, of course, if you’re not in that body anymore, that is definitely going to be a difference, but as far as preserving our memories, our personality, I think we could do that.”

By Musk’s account, such technology will be a gradual evolution from today’s forms of computer memory. “Our memories are stored in our phones and computers with pictures and video,” he said. “Computers and phones amplify our ability to communicate, enabling us to do things that would have been considered magical ... We’ve already amplified our human brains massively with computers.”

[...]

In a 2019 Wall Street Journal essay, Michael S.A. Graziano, a psychology and neuroscience professor at Princeton University, wrote that mind uploading would require two pieces of technology: an artificial brain, and a scan of a person’s brain that could “measure exactly how its neurons are connected to each other, to be able to copy that pattern in the artificial brain.”

Creating the artificial brain, Graziano noted, would be relatively straightforward. “But to upload a human brain, we probably want a scanner that doesn’t kill the subject, and we would need it to scan about a hundred million times as many details,” he wrote. “That technology doesn’t yet exist. The most wildly optimistic predictions place mind uploading within a few decades, but I would not be surprised if it took centuries.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/04/08/elon-mu ... obots.html
raklian

Post by raklian »

wjfox wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 6:38 pm Elon Musk says humans could eventually download their brains into robots — and Grimes thinks Jeff Bezos would do it

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/04/08/elon-mu ... obots.html
If Jeff does it before we understand the fundamental nature of consciousness, he's taking an awfully lot of risk. :?

For someone who built SpaceX and Telsa which was very difficult to pull off, Elon seems to be somewhat ignorant about how intractable figuring out what makes consciousness tick is. :?

As much as I admire him for his achievements thus far, I find his claim that we need to make our species multi-planetary because we need to "expand the light of consciousness" terribly misguided. He didn't have to make it about consciousness. The survival of our species as the primary motivation would have been sufficient.

Anyhow, I'd rather extend my lifespan than upload my mind or consciousness to a different substrate because it's a sure bet to keep your consciousness intact for now.
To know is essentially the same as not knowing. The only thing that occurs is the rearrangement of atoms in your brain.
Vakanai

Post by Vakanai »

Hope this is the right place to post this. Thought it was pretty interesting.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Forget your bulky AR headsets, smart contact lenses are coming to place augmented reality displays right there on your eyeball. Last week, Mojo Vision CEO Drew Perkins volunteered to test the first feature-complete prototype of his company's design.

Smart wearables are all about super-portable convenience, and until scientists can plumb an AR display directly into your visual cortex, the smallest and most portable form factor we can imagine is that of a contact lens. Mojo Vision has been working on a smart contact lens design since 2015, and its latest prototype Mojo Lens packs in a pretty impressive amount of gear – especially for something that has to live behind your eyelid.

For starters, it has the world's smallest and highest-density display capable of showing dynamic content – a green monochrome MicroLED display measuring less than 0.5 mm (0.02 in) in diameter, with a resolution of 14,000 pixels per inch. It's got an ARM Core M0 processor, a 5-GHz radio capable of communicating at ultra-low latency, and enough accelerometers, gyroscopes and magnetometers to track your eye movements with extreme precision, allowing the image to stay stable even as you move your eyes around.
The lens is worn with the bulk of the electronics positioned next to the nose, preserving the outer edges of your peripheral vision Mojo Vision

Nanotechandmorefuture

Post by Nanotechandmorefuture »

Yuli Ban wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:27 am
Forget your bulky AR headsets, smart contact lenses are coming to place augmented reality displays right there on your eyeball. Last week, Mojo Vision CEO Drew Perkins volunteered to test the first feature-complete prototype of his company's design.

Smart wearables are all about super-portable convenience, and until scientists can plumb an AR display directly into your visual cortex, the smallest and most portable form factor we can imagine is that of a contact lens. Mojo Vision has been working on a smart contact lens design since 2015, and its latest prototype Mojo Lens packs in a pretty impressive amount of gear – especially for something that has to live behind your eyelid.

For starters, it has the world's smallest and highest-density display capable of showing dynamic content – a green monochrome MicroLED display measuring less than 0.5 mm (0.02 in) in diameter, with a resolution of 14,000 pixels per inch. It's got an ARM Core M0 processor, a 5-GHz radio capable of communicating at ultra-low latency, and enough accelerometers, gyroscopes and magnetometers to track your eye movements with extreme precision, allowing the image to stay stable even as you move your eyes around.
The lens is worn with the bulk of the electronics positioned next to the nose, preserving the outer edges of your peripheral vision Mojo Vision

That dude meant lazers in their eyes! This uses 3 of them to superimpose AR right into the eyes.

I'll wait for the better versions instead thanks lol.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »