19%

Total votes: 16

caltrek

Re: Transhumanism & Cybernetics News and Discussions

Post by caltrek »

Robotic Sensors Could Help Transform Prosthetics
August 1, 2022

Introduction:
(EurekAlert) A pioneering project to develop advanced sensors for use in robotic systems, could transform prosthetics and robotic limbs.

The research project – led by University of the West of Scotland (UWS), Integrated Graphene Ltd, and supported by the Scottish Research Partnership in Engineering (SRPe) and the National Manufacturing Institute for Scotland (NMIS) Industry Doctorate Programme in Advanced Manufacturing – aims to develop sensors which provide enhanced capabilities to robots, helping improve their dexterity and motor skills, through the use of accurate pressure sensors which provide haptic feedback and distributed touch.

Professor Des Gibson, Director of the Institute of Thin Films, Sensors and Imaging at UWS and project principal investigator, said: “Over recent years the advancements in the robotics industry have been remarkable, however, due to a lack of sensory capabilities, robotic systems often fail to execute certain tasks easily. For robots to reach their full potential, accurate pressure sensors, capable of providing greater tactile ability, are required.
“Our collaboration with Integrated Graphene Ltd, has led to the development of advanced pressure sensor technology, which could help transform robotic systems.”

Made from 3D graphene foam, which offers unique capabilities when put under mechanical stress, the sensors use a piezoresistive approach, meaning when the material is put under pressure it dynamically changes its electric resistance, easily detecting and adapting to the range of pressure required, from light to heavy.
Read more here: https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/960374
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

When Will I Be Able to Upload My Brain to a Computer?
by Guillaume Thierry
September 17 , 2022

Introduction:
(IFL Science) READER QUESTION: I am 59 years old, and in reasonably good health. Is it possible that I will live long enough to put my brain into a computer? Richard Dixon.

We often imagine that human consciousness is as simple as input and output of electrical signals within a network of processing units – therefore comparable to a computer. Reality, however, is much more complicated. For starters, we don’t actually know how much information the human brain can hold.

Two years ago, a team at the Allen Institute for Brain Science in Seattle, US, mapped the 3D structure of all the neurons (brain cells) comprised in one cubic millimetre of the brain of a mouse – a milestone considered extraordinary.

Within this minuscule cube of brain tissue, the size of a grain of sand, the researchers counted more than 100,000 neurons and more than a billion connections between them. They managed to record the corresponding information on computers, including the shape and configuration of each neuron and connection, which required two petabytes, or two million gigabytes of storage. And to do this, their automated microscopes had to collect 100 million images of 25,000 slices of the minuscule sample continuously over several months.

Now if this is what it takes to store the full physical information of neurons and their connections in one cubic millimetre of mouse brain, you can perhaps imagine that the collection of this information from the human brain is not going to be a walk in the park.
Read more here: https://www.iflscience.com/when-will-i ... ter-65375
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
Nanotechandmorefuture

Post by Nanotechandmorefuture »

To answer the poll: At this moment no thanks because the cybernetics and everything does not seem appealing.

Later on once life extension tech gets better or I just get bored I'll start with a little cybernetics to extend life. Hopefully by then space travel will be at least to the moon so as to start using that sort of assistance to do some cool things :)
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

It isn't just us gays and trans that will be banned in a religious fascist America but all progress into this and most of medical science. It will truly suck ass.
Vakanai

Post by Vakanai »

weatheriscool wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:48 pm It isn't just us gays and trans that will be banned in a religious fascist America but all progress into this and most of medical science. It will truly suck ass.
Let's hope there'll be no religious fascist America then. The Republicans are trying very hard to make it happen, and their 2025 plan is basically "we kill democracy first because we can't fairly compete with the Dems in a diverse America" but they really can't compete in a more diverse America - I think in the long run they will fail and be diminished. We'll have religious fascist states unfortunately for a while, but the country as a whole will never fall to the conservative wet dream.
Powers

Post by Powers »

Vakanai wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:52 am I think in the long run they will fail and be diminished. We'll have religious fascist states unfortunately for a while, but the country as a whole will never fall to the conservative wet dream.
I wouldn't be so sure about that - nuances and all.
Vakanai

Post by Vakanai »

Powers wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:13 am
Vakanai wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:52 am I think in the long run they will fail and be diminished. We'll have religious fascist states unfortunately for a while, but the country as a whole will never fall to the conservative wet dream.
I wouldn't be so sure about that - nuances and all.
Depends on what one defines as long run I guess - I'm thinking in the terms of decades here, like 40 years upwards of 60 years. Much of the older generations kind of need to die off to get rid of the Republicans core base, and then slowly we'd have to dismantle the things that keep them in power, the intense gerrymandering and voter suppression for example. But long run ultimately they will fail - they're unpopular with the youth, with the educated (hence their seeming war on education now), with minorities. Mostly they skew older, white, and male, and most of the younger crowd they do attract is white and racist.
But again, they're going to be there, a pain, for decades. They're going to continue going more and more fascist, and most red states are going to be pretty bad if you're not white straight cis male. I'm in Alabama myself, and I am not looking forward to the future of my state.
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

Italian exoskeleton gets disabled users walking and standing
By Ben Coxworth
February 23, 2024
A new robotic exoskeleton could allow people who have lost the use of their legs to stand up and even walk. It may also help get them walking unaided again, by guiding their movements and holding them up as they take part in rehabilitative therapy.

Known as Twin, the Italian-designed lower-body exoskeleton was unveiled this Friday during a press conference held at the Museum of Science and Technology in Milan.

It's currently still in prototype form, and is being developed by scientists from the Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia (Italian Institute of Technology) and the Istituto Nazionale Assicurazione Infortuni sul Lavoro (National Institute for Insurance against Accidents at Work).

Made for use by patients with reduced or nonexistent motor ability in the lower body, it moves their legs via motors located at the knee and hip joints. Those motors are powered by an onboard battery, which should reportedly be good for about four hours of use per one-hour charge.
https://newatlas.com/robotics/twin-exos ... -standing/