Aging & Longevity News and Discussions

wjfox
Site Admin

Re: Aging & Longevity News and Discussions

Post by wjfox »

R8Z

Post by R8Z »

Is anyone here already taking supplements or in a different diet with aging in mind? I'd love to hear recommendations on what I could start doing right NOW and not wait for a wonder drug from the future (although my expectation for it is immense).

I am already doing intermittent fasting, exercising (almost daily) and taking supplementary vitamins but nothing other than this.
And, as always, bye bye.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

R8Z wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:31 pm Is anyone here already taking supplements or in a different diet with aging in mind? I'd love to hear recommendations on what I could start doing right NOW and not wait for a wonder drug from the future (although my expectation for it is immense).

I am already doing intermittent fasting, exercising (almost daily) and taking supplementary vitamins but nothing other than this.

I used to drink quite frequently, but almost never drink now. For many years, I heard about the supposed benefits of red wine, but then I kept seeing more and more studies claiming any amount of alcohol has a net negative effect in terms of aging. So I only drink on rare/special occasions now.

I've also completely given up sugary drinks, for many years now. So I almost never drink coke, orange squash, etc. and instead have green tea, peppermint tea, a few other herbal teas. Green tea is one of the absolute healthiest things you can drink, from what I've read. It literally repairs and restores damaged DNA. It has multiple benefits in terms of cancer and heart health. So I drink as much of that stuff as possible. I also have 2 or 3 coffees each morning, which is now proven in multiple scientific studies to protect your liver. Plus, I always have low-fat milk with my coffee. Milk is good for bone strength.

In terms of foods – I usually stick to salads, and low-calorie meals. Almost never eat red meat. Lots of lettuce, cucumber, and a couple of oily fish high in omega 3 (i.e. salmon) each week. Minimal amounts of dark chocolate (four of those little squares from Lindt, each day, is apparently good for you).

Also, something that Starspawn recommended in the previous forum is pomegranate seeds. So I've been adding those to my weekly shop for the last couple of years. They have a slightly unpleasant texture, so I always mix them with yoghurt. The seeds apparently have remarkable anti-aging properties and, like green tea, are one of the healthiest things you can consume.

Food and drink aren't the only things you should focus on, of course. Exercise and good sleep are really important too. I have a treadmill in my studio and always try to do the minimum 150 minutes of recommended exercise per week, and sometimes do a lot more (200-300 minutes). If you have trouble sleeping then I recommend avoiding a computer, TV, or phone screen for at least 1 hour before bed. If you still have insomnia then get the book and CD by Paul McKenna, "I can make you sleep", which is awesome and really does work.

Finally – it's vital to stay active, and interested in the world around you, maintain a good support network and social connections, establish a good work-life balance and enough time for relaxation. Loneliness can be almost as bad as smoking, drinking, obesity, etc. Find hobbies, local groups to join and meet people, develop your self-confidence and a positive attitude. Don't worry about the future, and don't dwell on the past, but instead focus on enjoying the here and now.
Ken_J

Post by Ken_J »

R8Z wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:31 pm Is anyone here already taking supplements or in a different diet with aging in mind? I'd love to hear recommendations on what I could start doing right NOW and not wait for a wonder drug from the future (although my expectation for it is immense).

Had a thread on the last iteration of the forum for discussion of things like that, and started one here viewtopic.php?f=9&t=605 if you'd like.
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

Antiaging Gene Therapies Extend Lifespan of Mice by 41%
July 1, 2021 by Brian Wang
Antiaging gene therapies to overexpress TERT and Follistatin were used in a mouse model. The mice saw a 41 and 32% increase in median life span. The study also used a novel viral vector, cytomegalovirus for the delivery.

Liz Parish of Bioviva has treated herself with all of these antiaging gene therapies.

If humans experienced the same antiaging effect as the mice then humans would live to a median age of 100 with these treatments.

Biorxiv preprint – New intranasal and injectable gene therapy for healthy life extension
https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2021/07/a ... by-41.html
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Ken_J

Post by Ken_J »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Ken_J wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:38 pm https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases ... 4piT8TPm2E
Castration delays DNA aging
Think I'll pass on that.
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

Off-Patent Osteoporosis Drug Also Found to Extend Lifespan
July 8, 2021 by Brian Wang

Zoledronate is a biophosphonate, a drug used to strengthen bones and reduce the risk of osteoporosis-related bone fractures. It is well-absorbed into the bones, so it only needs to be administered through infusion once a year.

A 2010 study had found that people who were given zoledronate after experiencing hip fractures showed slightly reduced all-cause mortality compared to a control group. Patients who took the drug were at significantly lower risk for heart arrhythmias and pneumonia.
https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2021/07/o ... espan.html
raklian

Post by raklian »

Who knew cryptocurrencies would be part of the solution that will help Aubrey de Grey with his mission of defeating aging.

To know is essentially the same as not knowing. The only thing that occurs is the rearrangement of atoms in your brain.