Aging & Longevity News and Discussions

Ken_J

Re: Aging & Longevity News and Discussions

Post by Ken_J »

aren't we talking about just the fact that in a population of 100 people, when more than usual die in a given year they number goes down. This does not effect your individual lifespan, outside of an increased risk of being killed by the virus. if your life was on course to go to 98 years in 2018, provided you don't die of covid, or other emergency for which treatment is not available due to the pandemic, you will still most likely have the same 98 years.

this is that old bugbear of averages don't tell you the situation of individuals. like ten people with a net worth of $1 and 1 person with a worth of 1 trillion means the average person in the group of 11 people is super rich.
Ken_J

Post by Ken_J »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Surprised nobody posted about this yet.

----------

New foundation will distribute $1bn for aging research

1st October 2021

A consortium of biotech founders, clinicians, and leading longevity research institutions has this week announced the launch of the Longevity Science Foundation.

The new foundation, based in Switzerland, has committed to distributing more than $1 billion over the next ten years to research, institutions and projects advancing healthy human longevity and extending the human lifespan.

[...]

The Longevity Science Foundation will identify and target the most promising longevity research developments and groups around the world. It will focus on projects in four major areas: AI, personalised medicine, predictive diagnostics, and therapeutics. The Foundation is seeking to fund projects that can make a tangible difference in people's lives as soon as possible – perhaps even within five years.

[...]

"In five years, healthy longevity will not only exist as a lab-proven concept, but will become part of everyone's life," said Andrea Maier, Visionary Board member and co-director of the Centre for Healthy Longevity at the National University of Singapore.

In addition to the "low hanging fruit" of these first-generation treatments, the Longevity Science Foundation will target groups working on more ambitious and longer-term approaches, such as cellular reprogramming.

"They are of equal importance for us," said Garri Zmudze, Executive Coordinator, in an interview with Lifespan.io. "We do, therefore, urge the groups working on 'decades away' approaches to consider us to support them."

https://www.futuretimeline.net/blog/202 ... meline.htm

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

erowind

Post by erowind »

My only question is what about the hair I've already lost ;-;

That billion dollar research commitment is wonderful though.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

andmar74

Post by andmar74 »

I have been thinking about how old people considers young people.
Recently, I passed some youngsters playing soccer ( I can't write football then you misunderstand). I thought: if I try to move as them, I will certainly get injured. Compared to me they were some kind of superhumans. I'm 47 and in reasonable shape.

Let's say you are 80, frail, slow moving, slow thinking, slow everything. How will healthy, fit humans in their 20's appear to you? Like some alien super species. Even worse, you know you have been like them when you were young. You can't avoid feeling sub-human. We can't end our lives like that, we need anti-aging therapies.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

andmar74

Post by andmar74 »

Sinclair is turning into a celebrity health troll.