Aging & Longevity News and Discussions

wjfox
Site Admin

Aging & Longevity News and Discussions

Post by wjfox »

This thread is specifically for news and developments in life extension, as well as the wider implications for society.

A great resource I recommend is Lifespan.io's Rejuvenation Roadmap, which tracks the latest clinical trials:

https://www.lifespan.io/road-maps/the-r ... n-roadmap/

I also recommend following these people, who are experts in their field:

https://twitter.com/davidasinclair
https://twitter.com/aubreydegrey

wjfox
Site Admin

Re: Aging & Longevity News and Discussions

Post by wjfox »

When do we think aging might be preventable?

Some fairly substantial progress has already been achieved in mice, worms and fruit flies. However, only minimal advances in humans (so far).

I'm betting on ~2040-45 for the inflection point in aging research, with treatments widely available to most people within a couple of decades of that.

Aside from climate change, I can't think of any other subject that's more important to me. Without a cure for aging, we're all dead within a century and won't get to experience a single damn thing after that. It should be in everyone's top 3 for their most-wanted future breakthroughs.
Ozzie guy

Post by Ozzie guy »

wjfox wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 7:51 am When do we think aging might be preventable?
Yuli is confident in proto/first generation AGI before the end of 2024.

I don't think it will take many years after proto AGI before we get human level AGI.

I don't think it will take many years after human level AGI before we reach the longevity escape velocity.
raklian

Post by raklian »

wjfox wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 7:51 am
Aside from climate change, I can't think of any other subject that's more important to me. Without a cure for aging, we're all dead within a century and won't get to experience a single damn thing after that. It should be in everyone's top 3 for their most-wanted future breakthroughs.
It's my #1 most wanted future need.... errr... I mean, technological breakthrough I look forward to. :)
To know is essentially the same as not knowing. The only thing that occurs is the rearrangement of atoms in your brain.
Ken_J

Post by Ken_J »

the hazard in trying to estimate when it will happen is that we have a heavy bias in measuring these things against our own timelines. It's why some of the big names in the field imagine it's already happening... just in time for their 50 something birthday.

I want to say that with +NAD supplements, Telomerase, surtuin activators, PQQ for mitochondria improvements and reduction in inflammation and oxidation stressors; Together with fasting to trigger autophaghy, caloric restriction and some analouge to hyperbaric oxygen therapies; that we could maybe be looking at a life expectancy increase of maybe 5 years average, and maybe in the range of 8-12 years for individuals.

All of that is viable right now. The rest of the things going on are still highly more speculative. Like gene therapies, stem cell therapies, young plasma...

and it always reminds me of all the superstitious rituals of past cultures designed to calm the fear of ceasing to exist one day. That there is still a legacy in our current time of believing that if we live the right way, say and do the right things and take the prescribed offerings that it will spare us the dissolution of self into nothing for the rest of eternity.

Now do I think it's feasable to give a person a life span in multiple hundreds if not thousands of years? Yes. I also feel that it will be such a departure from how life works now, as to be confusing to us. Like I'm not entirely convinced that neurological tissue is up to living 180-350 years. So we may shed memories of our early lives or port them over to some synthetic storage medium as we repopulate section of brains with new cells, in effect building a new childs brain around the core of our consciousness. And I genuinely believe that the rest of the body can largely be replaced over and over again. And that all of this is really what will open up the galaxy to us. Where people can make fifty year trips to nearby stars because 50 years will be the new summer vacation.

But the achievement of those capabilities, I feel depend more on nanoscale medicine of a near drexlerian style, as well as huge discoveries into the nature of consciousness and human brains in general (some of which I expect to be bad news, but not a complete preclusion of progress toward huge advances). And While the tech could advance quickly if it was treated like a moon race, the tendency of medical advancements to be methodical and there to be hidden consequences to long term health and wellbeing that one really can only uncover through years and decades of research...

Not to mention the cultural and social complications. Not just the logistics of work, economics, and political issues; but the superstitious panicy animals that humanity is and that drives things like anti-vaxxers even in a global pandemic will get involved in defining that timeline.

And so I debate with myself whether I think it will get here in the next 20-30-40 years or if it will be just 10 years away in 60 years and then just 5 years away in 80 years and just around the corner in 100 years.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Analysis of blood markers predicts human lifespan limit.

I'm not the healthiest man alive, but I would like to live for a good long while to see all that the Future™ has in store. Presuming I do somehow magically make it to 138 through arcane magic and extreme luck, that would mean I'd live to 2132.
And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
raklian

Post by raklian »

Yuli Ban wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 10:21 pm Analysis of blood markers predicts human lifespan limit.

I'm not the healthiest man alive, but I would like to live for a good long while to see all that the Future™ has in store. Presuming I do somehow magically make it to 138 through arcane magic and extreme luck, that would mean I'd live to 2132.
If you're going to live to 2132, you'll most certainly going to live to 2500 and even beyond sans a freak accident.
To know is essentially the same as not knowing. The only thing that occurs is the rearrangement of atoms in your brain.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

In terms of health benefits, pomegranate seeds are one of the best things you can eat – great for anti-aging, heart health and cancer prevention. I can't recommend them highly enough.

Google "pomegranate seeds health benefits" and you'll see what I mean. :)

I eat them nearly every day. You can have them with yogurt to improve the flavour/texture.