Aging & Longevity News and Discussions

weatheriscool

Re: Aging & Longevity News and Discussions

Post by weatheriscool »

I like posting and hoping that something comes true, but within my mind I honestly believe that anyone over 40 is probably fucked. Any anti-aging will likely take a few more decades(you know that extended life span of worms or rats story we like to post about?) only to give a few more years within the next couple of decades as any pill or shot will be regulated into the ground and any long term aging solution that we dream of to allow you to live for 200, 500 or even thousands of years will probably only come from designer babies or nano-bots repairing genes. The later is going to be regulated and probably banned into the ground for decades considering even a Chinese scientist can't even play around with the most simplest level of it. Such life spans will quite literally take a leader and a society that values eugenics and the mastery of what is possible with the human body. I am ok with such a leader as that is the only way for humans to truly become great! A leader of intelligence, a leader that wants better for his species and a leader that is willing to take the steps! We need a government and a president that is willing to support the scientist doing it. That is a fact.

I do have a little bit of faith in the kind that can add a few years here and there, but that isn't going to save you.
raklian

Post by raklian »

weatheriscool wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:33 pm but within my mind I honestly believe that anyone over 40 is probably fucked.
Correction: anyone over 40 who isn't considering cryopreservation.
To know is essentially the same as not knowing. The only thing that occurs is the rearrangement of atoms in your brain.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

weatheriscool wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:33 pm anyone over 40 is probably fucked.
:cry:
raklian

Post by raklian »

wjfox wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:01 pm
weatheriscool wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:33 pm anyone over 40 is probably fucked.
:cry:
Honestly, I have a feeling the anti-aging field will accelerate a lot quicker than the progress we see today, thanks to future AI breakthroughs and surreptitious discoveries by unknown people.

So, I think it should be revised to "anyone who is over 60 is probably fucked, give or take a decade."
To know is essentially the same as not knowing. The only thing that occurs is the rearrangement of atoms in your brain.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

There's surely some overlap, though.

I am 43 but don't smoke, rarely drink, get plenty of regular exercise, follow a strict and healthy diet, have now achieved the ideal weight/BMI, plus my grandparents lived to their late 80s/mid-90s so I may have inherited their good genes. I have a decent income, plenty of social connections, etc. and am generally happy (despite my somewhat curmudgeonly persona online). I take regular blood tests on Thriva, which show I'm optimal across a range of different health metrics. Also, without wishing to sound vain, I'm frequently told that I look 10 years younger than my chronological age.

Contrast that with a 43-year-old slob, who has the appearance of a 60-year-old, who smokes every day, drinks heavily, doesn't exercise much (if at all), eats junk food and high-sugar drinks all the time, whose parents died younger than the average lifespan, and who doesn't take an interest in longevity or health apps/fitness technology, works a minimum wage job, and has little or no social connections/mental stimulation beyond watching TV.

I also think we need to consider the impact of AI and computing technologies, as Raklian just alluded to. Health and medicine are becoming more and more digitised and we know that information technologies follow exponential trends. The impact of AI on cancer discoveries, for example, is already becoming noticeable with a number of "better-than-human" studies published in recent years. Apply these same tools to aging/longevity and within a relatively short time (20-30 years) we could see major progress in the field.

It's also worth mentioning that we don't need a complete cure for aging – Terry Grossman has described the series of "bridges" that might be possible stepping stones to longevity escape velocity (LEV).

I also doubt that treatments would be heavily regulated/restricted, as the coming demographic crisis will necessitate improved healthspans for society in order to maintain economic growth, as well as care for the elderly. If anything, aging treatments might eventually be free, like the Covid vaccines.

So, in summary, I honestly think I have a chance of reaching LEV, if I can maintain this current healthy lifestyle, if I can reach 85-90 or so, and if the world holds together in the face of multiple, converging crises. I'd give myself about a 40-50% chance.
unnaturalmilk

Post by unnaturalmilk »

wjfox wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:31 pm
I also doubt that treatments would be heavily regulated/restricted, as the coming demographic crisis will necessitate improved healthspans for society in order to maintain economic growth, as well as care for the elderly. If anything, aging treatments might eventually be free, like the Covid vaccines.
Agreed, I think that most people, deep down, really want to live longer, healthier lives. It's weird how some just go "Death is not to be feared; it's natural; it's unavoidable etc etc" but if they had the chance would 100% get any anti-aging treatment they could get their hands on :lol:
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

Anti-aging clues lurk in lysosomes, the recycling centers of the cell
https://phys.org/news/2022-06-anti-agin ... cling.html
by Molly Chiu, Baylor College of Medicine
Scientists at Baylor College of Medicine, the Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) and collaborating institutions report in the journal Nature Cell Biology that lysosomes in roundworms produce molecules that allow cells to 'talk' to one another about aging, coordinating the process across the entire organism.

For decades, biology students have learned that lysosomes—tiny sacs found within nearly all cells—had a singular task: to gobble up bits of foreign material and worn-out cell parts. The aim? To break them down for recycling. But that lesson might soon need revising.

Dr. Meng Wang, professor and Robert C. Fyfe Endowed Chair on Aging of Molecular and Human Genetics and an investigator at HHMI at Baylor, has spent the past seven years exploring the link between longevity and the signals lysosomes produce.

Longevity, it seems, runs deep in Wang's blood—her paternal and maternal grandmothers lived until ages 100 and 95, respectively. "Neither was ill, and why they died remains a mystery," she said. "It makes me feel like there's some secret to longevity, and if we can study this, maybe we can use the knowledge and apply it to everyone."

"Cells in different organs and tissues around the body send signals to one another constantly," said Wang, a member of Baylor's Dan L Duncan Comprehensive Cancer Center. "When we are young, everything is connected and communicating, but as we age, some of these connections are lost and function declines."
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

Secrets of aging revealed in largest study on longevity, aging in reptiles and amphibians

by Pennsylvania State University
https://phys.org/news/2022-06-secrets-a ... evity.html
At 190 years old, Jonathan the Seychelles giant tortoise recently made news for being the "oldest living land animal in the world." Although, anecdotal evidence like this exists that some species of turtles and other ectotherms—or 'cold-blooded' animals—live a long time, evidence is spotty and mostly focused on animals living in zoos or a few individuals living in the wild. Now, an international team of 114 scientists, led by Penn State and Northeastern Illinois University, reports the most comprehensive study of aging and longevity to date comprising data collected in the wild from 107 populations of 77 species of reptiles and amphibians worldwide.

Among their many findings, which they report today in the journal Science, the researchers documented for the first time that turtles, crocodilians and salamanders have particularly low aging rates and extended lifespans for their sizes. The team also found that protective phenotypes, such as the hard shells of most turtle species, contribute to slower aging, and in some cases even 'negligible aging'—or lack of biological aging.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

weatheriscool wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:33 pm I like posting and hoping that something comes true, but within my mind I honestly believe that anyone over 40 is probably fucked.
Contrastingly my opinion is that the first person to live to 200 might have been born in the 1940s or 1950s.
And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »