mRNA research and treatments

Yuli Ban

Re: mRNA Treatment

Post by Yuli Ban »

Biontech is using part of their revenue from the covid vaccine to develop a Malaria vaccine, could be mass produced by 2023
The Mainz-based pharmaceutical manufacturer Biontech is starting the development of a vaccine against malaria: with the aim of producing the world's first vaccine against this disease based on mRNA technology. According to SPIEGEL information, the Biontech founders Uğur Şahin and Özlem Türeci want to announce this this Monday afternoon at an event organized by the non-profit kENUP Foundation.

Accordingly, Biontech plans to start clinical trials of its new malaria vaccine as early as next year. The drug could then possibly be administered en masse in 2023 or 2024. So far there is only one approved vaccine worldwide with limited effectiveness against plasmodia, the causative agent of malaria.
And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Moderna to begin human trials of HIV mRNA vaccines by the end of the year
Moderna, a US biotechnology company that develops messenger RNA drugs, will test two HIV mRNA vaccines in humans at once. Clinical trials will start before the end of 2021.

Two experimental vaccines, Moderna mRNA-1644 and mRNA-1644v2-Core, have passed phase I testing, according to a publication on the NIH-operated website ClinicalTrials.gov. The randomized trial, conducted for the first time in humans, will recruit about 56 adults between the ages of 18 and 50. Some of the volunteers are infected with the human immunodeficiency virus. The study is expected to be completed around May 2023.
And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Moderna's mRNA Vaccine for HIV Is Starting Human Trials This Week
Before 2020, many of us had never heard of mRNA. With the development of Covid-19 vaccines dependent on this molecule, though, mention of it was all over the news. In early August, the US reached the milestone of 70 percent of adults having received at least one dose of the vaccine. Covid was the first disease mRNA therapeutics tackled, and given the success of the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines at preventing severe cases of the virus, it won’t be the last.

New candidates are lining up, with scientists saying mRNA could make it possible to develop vaccines against all kinds of diseases that, until now, haven’t had a solution in sight. One of these is HIV; Moderna (whose name, by the way, comes from “modified RNA”) started trials of its experimental mRNA-based HIV vaccine, called mRNA-1644, this week.

The Phase 1 trial will consist of giving the vaccine to 56 adults who don’t have HIV, with the primary goals being to evaluate its safety and monitor the development of an immune response in participants. In addition to the initial version of the vaccine, Moderna developed a variant called mRNA-1644-v2-Core.

As detailed in Moderna’s August 11 submission to the to the National Institutes of Health’s Clinical Trials registry, participants in the trial will be split into four different groups, with one group getting mRNA-1644, a second group getting mRNA-1644-v2, and the remaining two groups getting a mix of both versions. Rather than a blind trial, where people don’t know which injection they’re receiving, participants will be aware of what they’re getting.

This first phase of the clinical trial is scheduled to take around 10 months, and will be followed by Phase 2 and 3 trials.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

As I've been saying: mRNA treatment is one of the biggest breakthroughs in modern science, and it's ongoing right now! We should all be excited for the near future.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

When Tom Pooley, 21, became the first person to receive an experimental vaccine against plague as part of a medical trial last summer after tests on mice, he was inspired by the thought that his involvement could help to rid the world of one of the most brutal killers in human history.

“They made it quite clear I was the first human to receive it,” says Pooley, a radiotherapy engineering student. “They didn’t dress it up, but they made it clear it was as safe as possible. There are risks, but they are talented people: it’s a big honour to be the first.” The single-shot, based on the Chadox technology developed by the Oxford Vaccine Group and AstraZeneca, took less than five seconds to painlessly administer, he says. That night, he felt a little unwell, but he was fine within three hours; and the small trial continued apace to combat the centuries-old bacteria threat, which killed 171 in Madagascar as recently as 2017. It uses a weakened, genetically altered version of a common-cold virus from chimpanzees.

It is just one example of how scientists are increasingly looking at how Covid treatments can help to treat other diseases. Trials are expected to be developed for other similar jabs against dengue, Zika and a whole host of pathogens. Another vaccine study against Ebola is already going to human trials. As Professor Sarah Gilbert, architect of the Oxford Vaccine, has said: “We’ve got the cake and we can put a cherry on top, or we can put some pistachios on top if we want a different vaccine, we just add the last bit and then we’re ready to go.”

The Covid pandemic sparked an unprecedented drive to control a lethal disease whose outbreak led to a near global shutdown to contain its spread. Billions in public and private money were pumped into research like never before in such a short space of time. It’s not something the medical world would have chosen, but the developments of the past two years could not have happened without Covid-19 – the pathogen has served as a giant catalyst ushering in different technologies, data and research that offer insights into other diseases.
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

A potential therapy for muscular dystrophy: Using mRNA delivery to improve muscle strength
https://phys.org/news/2022-03-potential ... -mrna.html
by Anke Brodmerkel , Max Delbrück Center for Molecular Medicine

Mutations that lead to muscle atrophy can be repaired with the gene editor CRISPR-Cas9. A team led by ECRC researcher Helena Escobar has now introduced the tool into human muscle stem cells for the first time using mRNA, thus discovering a method suitable for therapeutic applications.

It may be only a tiny change in the genome, but this small difference can have fatal consequences: Muscular dystrophies are almost always caused by a single faulty gene. As different as the mutations are in this group of approximately 50 disorders, they all ultimately lead to a very similar outcome.

"Due to the genetic defect, changes occur in muscular structure and function so that sufferers experience progressive muscle atrophy," explains Professor Simone Spuler, head of the Myology Lab at the Experimental and Clinical Research Center (ECRC), a joint institution of the Berlin-based Max Delbrück Center for Molecular Medicine in the Helmholtz Association (MDC) and Charité – Universitätsmedizin Berlin. This condition can be fatal especially if the respiratory or cardiac muscles are affected.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

King’s College London researchers are turning to the same technology behind the mRNA COVID-19 vaccines to develop the first damage-reversing heart attack cure.

“We are all born with a set number of muscle cells in our heart and they are exactly the same ones we will die with. The heart has no capacity to repair itself after a heart attack,” Giacca told The Times. At least, until now.

In an experiment with pigs (a close match for the human heart), the mRNA treatment stimulated new heart cells to grow after a heart attack — regenerating the damaged tissues and creating new, functional muscle rather than a scar.

While thus far their heart attack cure has only been successfully tested in porcine pumpers, the team hopes to begin human clinical trials within the next couple years.
peekpok

Post by peekpok »

I saw that heart attack article and it has me wondering if we'll be able to use the same technology to regrow fresh skin in place of existing scars. That is one of the biggest medical technologies that I would personally love to have access to, on account of the fact that I really hate stretch marks and would love to be able to get rid of mine lol.
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

First-of-its-kind mRNA treatment could wipe out a peanut allergy
By Bronwyn Thompson
April 03, 2023
https://newatlas.com/medical/mrna-treat ... t-allergy/

Peanut and tree nut allergies affect around three million Americans, yet there’s only one approved treatment and it only tackles its severity. And despite the amount of research behind finding a way to counter, or cure, this often deadly condition, there's been only glimmers of hope for sufferers.

But a major breakthrough might be around the corner, with scientists from the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) testing a world-first mRNA medicine packaged up in tiny nanoparticles that not only reversed peanut allergies in mice but equipped the body with the microbiological tools needed to stop the often-life-threatening condition developing.

“As far as we can find, mRNA has never been used for an allergic disease,” said study co-author Dr. André Nel, a professor at UCLA. “We’ve shown that our platform can work to calm peanut allergies, and we believe it may be able to do the same for other allergens, in food and drugs, as well as autoimmune conditions.”

Taking a cue from COVID-19 vaccines, the team packaged up mRNA inside a nanoparticle and delivered it to the liver, where it instructed specific cells to tolerate peanut proteins. The researchers focused on the liver in particular because of its tolerance with foreign substances and it being home to antigen-presenting cells, which help train the immune system to tolerate foreign proteins, rather than attack them.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Cancer and heart disease vaccines ‘ready by end of the decade’

Fri 7 Apr 2023 19.00 BST

Millions of lives could be saved by a groundbreaking set of new vaccines for a range of conditions including cancer, experts have said. A leading pharmaceutical firm said it is confident that jabs for cancer, cardiovascular and autoimmune diseases, and other conditions will be ready by 2030.

Studies into these vaccinations are also showing “tremendous promise”, with some researchers saying 15 years’ worth of progress has been “unspooled” in 12 to 18 months thanks to the success of the Covid jab.

Dr Paul Burton, the chief medical officer of pharmaceutical company Moderna, said he believes the firm will be able to offer such treatments for “all sorts of disease areas” in as little as five years.

[...]

Burton said :“I think we will have mRNA-based therapies for rare diseases that were previously undruggable, and I think that 10 years from now, we will be approaching a world where you truly can identify the genetic cause of a disease and, with relative simplicity, go and edit that out and repair it using mRNA-based technology.”

[...]

Burton said: “I think it was an order of magnitude, that the pandemic sped [this technology] up by. It has also allowed us to scale up manufacturing, so we’ve got extremely good at making large amounts of vaccine very quickly.”

Read more: https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... the-decade