Stress Management

caltrek

Re: Stress Management

Post by caltrek »

How College Students Perceive Academic Stress Affects Their Mental Well-being
August 9, 2022

Introduction:
(EurekAlert ) Academic stress takes a toll on the mental well-being of certain groups of college students more than others – a correlation further exacerbated by the COVID-19 pandemic, according to a Rutgers New Jersey Medical School study.

Published in the journal Frontiers in Psychology, researchers found a significant correlation between perceived academic stress and poor mental well-being in all the students, but most acutely in those who are nonbinary, female or those who were in the second year of a four-year program.

“This study shows that college students are not uniformly impacted by academic stress or pandemic-related stress and that certain groups should be offered additional resources and support,” said study author Xue Ming, a professor of neurology at Rutgers New Jersey Medical School. “The findings support prior studies that have shown that nonbinary adults face adverse mental health outcomes when compared to male- and female-identifying adults.”

According to the American Psychological Association, up to 87 percent of U.S. college students cite education as their primary source of stress – arising from demanding course loads, studying, time management, classroom competition, financial concerns, family pressures and difficulty adapting to new environments – but few studies have looked at how that stress directly affects mental health.
Conclusion:
The researchers also recommend colleges provide stress-management and coping strategies such as mindfulness meditation and cognitive behavioral therapy as well as offer stress-reduction peer support groups to help build resilience.
Read more here: https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/961367 and here: https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/1 ... 6344/full
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
andmar74

Post by andmar74 »

I'm fighting chronic stress and anxiety. I'm waking up every morning with a body in stress mode. Maybe excess Cortisol production. So I'm never fully rested after a nights sleep.
It's very annoying and difficult to get rid of.
But today, Saturday, I ran almost a half marathon, in the morning, and in the afternoon I cycled for about 40 minutes. That made a huge difference. especially the running, I probably need to run at least an hour and the pace most be just right, not too slow and not too fast.
But running is very taxing on the legs so I can't do that distance every day, but I think I will go for longer distances when running and the days not running I will cycle and do weight training.

Showering today was amazing. You know from the movies, when someone has gone through a lot and then enjoys a shower, something like that. Usually it's a dread, because my skin is oversensitive due to the stress.

I'm also doing the B6 vitamins as mentioned in this thread. And mentally, I need to relax more, take it easy, but it's difficult.
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

Research Finds That People Who Struggle to Cope With Stressful Situations Could Benefit from Owning a Pet
October 25, 2022

Introduction:
(EurekAlert) Having a pet can help people who are less resilient cope with the stresses of everyday life, new Kingston University research has found. Where owners consider their animals to be more important than the friends in their lives, however, it can contribute to increased feelings of loneliness.

Psychology student Ece Beren Barklam, who is completing a PhD in pet ownership and human-animal interactions, explored whether having a pet was linked to better mental wellbeing during the Covid-19 pandemic. The study took into account owners' perceptions of their own resilience levels and how emotionally attached they were to their animals.

The research, published in human-animal relations journal Anthrozoös, was carried out through two surveys of more than 700 people from the UK and around the world, one during the early stages of the pandemic in May 2020 and another in September 2021.

Overall, the study found pets had a mostly positive effect on the lives of their owners during the pandemic. Increased exposure to their animals – such as taking them out for walks or playing with them more often – was linked to better mental health, with owners who spent more time interacting with their animals during this time reporting being happier than those who did not.
Read more here: https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/969071
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
andmar74

Post by andmar74 »

Today I did some "shock therapy". No, not electroshock, but I biked indoors for 80 minutes. After that I went to the sauna and dipped in the freezing(to me) fjord. The bathing in the cold water is the new thing I'm doing, it feels good when you are out of the water again.
Nanotechandmorefuture

Post by Nanotechandmorefuture »

caltrek wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:18 pm Research Finds That People Who Struggle to Cope With Stressful Situations Could Benefit from Owning a Pet
October 25, 2022

Introduction:
(EurekAlert) Having a pet can help people who are less resilient cope with the stresses of everyday life, new Kingston University research has found. Where owners consider their animals to be more important than the friends in their lives, however, it can contribute to increased feelings of loneliness.

Psychology student Ece Beren Barklam, who is completing a PhD in pet ownership and human-animal interactions, explored whether having a pet was linked to better mental wellbeing during the Covid-19 pandemic. The study took into account owners' perceptions of their own resilience levels and how emotionally attached they were to their animals.

The research, published in human-animal relations journal Anthrozoös, was carried out through two surveys of more than 700 people from the UK and around the world, one during the early stages of the pandemic in May 2020 and another in September 2021.

Overall, the study found pets had a mostly positive effect on the lives of their owners during the pandemic. Increased exposure to their animals – such as taking them out for walks or playing with them more often – was linked to better mental health, with owners who spent more time interacting with their animals during this time reporting being happier than those who did not.
Read more here: https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/969071
Kinda rough when the stress can be artificially to waste time too. I think that would be far more stressful than anything else.
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

Feeling lonely? What We Want From Our Relationships Can Change with Age
November 14, 2022

Introduction:
(EurkAlert) Not everyone’s holiday plans resemble a Hallmark card.

If the “most wonderful time of the year” isn’t your reality, you’re not alone. You might have an idea of a festive picture-perfect holiday season, but what actually transpires doesn’t always measure up.

And that’s where loneliness comes from, says King's College London graduate student Samia Akhter-Khan, first author of a new study on the subject.

“Loneliness results from a discrepancy between expected and actual social relationships,” Akhter-Khan said.

Together with Duke psychology and neuroscience Ph.D. Leon Li, Akhter-Khan and colleagues co-authored a paper on why people feel lonely, particularly in later life, and what we can do about it.
Read more here: https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/971267
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

Adhering to The Five Precepts Of Buddhism May Lower Risk Of Depression
by Ben Taub
November 30, 2022

Introduction:
(IFL Science) People who observe the five precepts of Buddhism may be more resilient to stress and less likely to experience depression, according to the results of a new study. An ethical code of conduct designed to banish suffering and help followers achieve enlightenment, the five precepts may promote inner calm and equanimity, which the researchers say could lead to more general mental health benefits.

According to the study authors, the personality trait neuroticism – which is characterized by a range of negative emotions including anger, anxiety and irritability – represents a major risk factor for depression, especially during times of stress. “A clinically significant depressive symptom is usually attributable to an interaction of the trait of neuroticism with a life stressor,” they say.

On the other hand, the researchers explain that the five precepts of Buddhism have been linked to improvements in useful qualities such as “self-efficacy, resilience [and] equanimity,” all of which may protect against mental anguish. They therefore sought to determine how adherence to these five moral behaviors influences the relationship between neuroticism, stress and depression.

Specifically, the five precepts include refraining from killing, stealing, sexual misconduct, telling bad-intentioned lies, and using intoxicants. Though some of these may sound easy, bear in mind that the restrictions on taking a life apply equally to non-humans, which means that swatting a mosquito counts as an infringement of the code.
Read more of the IFL Science article here: https://www.iflscience.com/adhering-to ... on-66452

Read a presentation of study results as published in PLOS ONE here: https://journals.plos.org/plosone/arti ... e.0277351
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
Tadasuke

Post by Tadasuke »

»
This might be helpful for those who think or feel they are depressed, stressed or anxious:
Global economy doubles in product every 15-20 years. Computer performance at a constant price doubles nowadays every 4 years on average. Livestock-as-food will globally stop being a thing by ~2050 (precision fermentation and more). Human stupidity, pride and depravity are the biggest problems of our world.