Potential cure for hemophilia B created

funkervogt

Potential cure for hemophilia B created

Post by funkervogt »

From the day Elliott was born, he was unable to make enough of a crucial protein called clotting factor IX. When you cut yourself and it scabs over, clotting factor IX is one of the proteins that stops the bleeding.

It meant Elliott grew up "anxious of getting hurt", and teachers "wrapped me up in bubble wrap". The sport he wanted to play - rugby - was completely off limits.

"I didn't like the fact that I was different and not able to do things," he says.

At one point, Elliott was having injections of factor IX every other day in order to prevent a deadly bleed.

...Elliot was given an engineered virus that was filled with the instructions for manufacturing the missing factor IX.

The virus acts like a microscopic postman that delivers the blueprints to the liver, which then starts producing the clotting protein.
It was a one-off infusion that took about an hour to drip into Elliott's body.

He recalls being "astonished" to see the amount of factor IX in his blood go from only 1% of normal levels to normal.

The findings, published in the New England Journal of Medicine, showed nine out of 10 patients given the therapy no longer needed their clotting factor IX injections.

"I've not had any treatment since I had my therapy, it's all a miracle really, well it's science, but it feels quite miraculous to me," says Elliott, who now lives in London.

"My life is completely normal, there's nothing that I have to stop and think 'how might my haemophilia affect this?'."
https://www.bbc.com/news/health-62240061