caltrek

Re: COVID-19 News and Discussions

Post by caltrek »

How Puerto Rico Became the Most Vaccinated Place in America
by Nicole Narea
November 26, 2021

https://www.vox.com/22761242/puerto-ric ... cane-maria

Introduction:
(Vox) Florida shares deep connections with Puerto Rico as home to the territory’s largest diaspora community on the US mainland. But when it comes to Covid-19, the two places have little in common.

While Florida, like many states in the South, has seen high infection rates and troubling death counts, Puerto Rico has been something of a coronavirus success story. As of November 22, Puerto Rico had fully vaccinated 74 percent of its population — a higher proportion than any other US state or territory — and had among the lowest Covid-19 death rates since the start of the pandemic, with 102 in 100,000 people dying from the virus.

By comparison, Florida’s vaccination rate is far more typical for the US; it has administered two shots to 60.9 percent of its population, slightly above the national average of 59.2 percent. That’s after Florida led the country in total caseloads for months, and after significant loss of life: Florida residents have died of the virus at nearly triple the rate of Puerto Rico residents.
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
Xyls

Post by Xyls »

So turns out that commentary about the virus being mild is looking increasingly suspect. In fact, huge amounts of young children being hospitalized in Omicron region in South Africa.

Toddlers Make Up 10% of Hospital Cases in Omicron Epicenter

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ium-canada
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Xyls wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:00 pm So turns out that commentary about the virus being mild is looking increasingly suspect. In fact, huge amounts of young children being hospitalized in Omicron region in South Africa.

Toddlers Make Up 10% of Hospital Cases in Omicron Epicenter

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ium-canada
The commentary was taken out of context
And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
Xyls

Post by Xyls »

I realize she was taken out of context. However, many of the MSM outlets have already run stories claiming that it is mild. Whereas there is not evidence yet and there really isn't any reason to assume than it won't be at least as dangerous as the OG version of the virus... And there is some evidence to suggest this version may actually be significantly more dangerous to extremely young children which is a new development...
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Cyber_Rebel

Post by Cyber_Rebel »

"Travel bans on South Africa are unfair."

I agree, they should be instituted everywhere the virus has been detected, but I'll just assume it's already too late & 2022 is yet another fucked plague year. Time for another drink.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Nurgle's about to win 2022

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »