COVID-19 News and Discussions

weatheriscool

Re: COVID-19 News and Discussions

Post by weatheriscool »

New York City sets sweeping vaccine mandate for all private employers.
Source: New York Times
Mayor Bill de Blasio announced a sweeping Covid vaccine mandate for all private employers in New York City on Monday morning to combat the spread of the Omicron variant. Mr. de Blasio said the aggressive measure, which takes effect Dec. 27 and which he described as the first of its kind in the nation, was needed as a “pre-emptive strike” to stall another wave of coronavirus cases and help reduce transmission during the winter months and holiday gatherings.

“Omicron is here, and it looks like it’s very transmissible,” he said in an interview on MSNBC. “The timing is horrible with the winter months.” New York City has already put vaccine mandates in place for city workers and for indoor dining, entertainment and gyms. Nearly 90 percent of adults in the city now have at least one dose of the vaccine. But Mr. de Blasio said the city must go further to combat another wave of the virus in New York City, once the epicenter of the pandemic.

Some private employers have required employees to get vaccinated, but many others have not. The mayor also announced that the rules for dining and entertainment would apply to children ages 5 to 11, starting on Dec. 14, and the requirement for adults will increase from one dose of a vaccine to two starting on Dec. 27. Mr. de Blasio and Gov. Kathy Hochul held a news conference last Thursday to announce New York State’s first five cases of the Omicron variant.

The number of coronavirus cases in the city has increased rapidly in recent weeks; daily case counts have increased more than 75 percent since Nov. 1. Mr. de Blasio, a Democrat with less than a month left in office, said he was confident the new mandate would survive any legal challenges.
Read more: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/06/nyre ... lasio.html
Xyls

Post by Xyls »

Oop:

Covid 19 Omicron outbreak: Children hospitalised with 'moderate to severe' symptoms

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/covid- ... JU5PEZXYM/
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

R8Z

Post by R8Z »

Thought experiment: wondering if the forum users are still ok with the punishment for non-compliance being to be sent to jail for refusing an undesired medical procedure. :roll:

And, as always, bye bye.
Cyber_Rebel

Post by Cyber_Rebel »

Oh, spare me this utter fucking bullshit. The vaccine (and now pills for treatment) is to SAVE LIVES not to end them. I don't remember the Nazis or Mussolini's regime arguing for the saving of lives when starting their wars of aggression. If anyone should be compared to their odious ideology, it's the freedumb fucks who continue to allow this pandemic to persist.

Your freedoms end when you endanger another person's life with your non-compliance. "Undesired medical procedure" which is entirely safe when compared with getting or spreading the virus itself.

French study of over 22m people finds vaccines cut severe Covid risk by 90%
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... vid-deaths

I don't speak for the other members here, but the idea of prison sentence for endangering the lives of others is hardly anything new to me. You either accept reality or you don't.
R8Z

Post by R8Z »

Cyber_Rebel wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:44 am Oh, spare me this utter fucking bullshit. The vaccine (and now pills for treatment) is to SAVE LIVES not to end them. I don't remember the Nazis or Mussolini's regime arguing for the saving of lives when starting their wars of aggression. If anyone should be compared to their odious ideology, it's the freedumb fucks who continue to allow this pandemic to persist.

Your freedoms end when you endanger another person's life with your non-compliance. "Undesired medical procedure" which is entirely safe when compared with getting or spreading the virus itself.

French study of over 22m people finds vaccines cut severe Covid risk by 90%
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... vid-deaths

I don't speak for the other members here, but the idea of prison sentence for endangering the lives of others is hardly anything new to me. You either accept reality or you don't.
How easy it is to say such things when you agree with the applied measures. No wonder western society has been crumbling into fascism and communism while people applaud the slow march towards authoritarianism while they utterly destroy the life and property of their neighbors in favor of big corps and their billionaire owners. History surely rhymes.

As always, I respect other people's views, including yours even though you want people to be jailed because of theirs (in this case, me and a few family members), just would be entertaining for you to reflect how such absurd thing sounds. This is especially entertaining and ironic because siding with the biggest corporations on Earth and their government puppets is the direct opposite of being a "rebel" as your nickname attempts to portray. Don't worry, I won't call the cops onto you for having such a rebellious opinion.

Maybe check the first paragraph of the Nuremberg code, in case you're in doubt about my above statement and your confusion on fascism and freedom. Additionally, on your mention of Mr. Musso, he is on your side, don't worry.
And, as always, bye bye.
Xyls

Post by Xyls »

R8Z wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:25 am Thought experiment: wondering if the forum users are still ok with the punishment for non-compliance being to be sent to jail for refusing an undesired medical procedure. :roll:

Good, finally we are starting to get serious on these walking pathogen incubators.
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

Texas reports its first case of the omicron COVID-19 variant
Source: Texas Tribune

Texas has identified its first case of the omicron COVID-19 variant, a strain flagged as potentially more infectious than any that has come before it, including the delta variant responsible for surges still happening across the country, state health officials said on Monday.

The variant was identified in Texas in a Harris County woman in her 40s, according to the Texas Department of State Health Services and county Judge Lina Hidalgo.

Many questions still surround omicron, even as it remains high on the radar of state and federal health officials.

While early indicators suggest the variant is very contagious, it’s still unknown whether it will infect people at a faster rate than the delta variant, which currently represents nearly all the active cases in Texas. Little is also known about the severity of disease the omicron variant causes.
Read more: https://www.texastribune.org/2021/12/06 ... -covid-19/
Cyber_Rebel

Post by Cyber_Rebel »

R8Z wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:37 am How easy it is to say such things when you agree with the applied measures. No wonder western society has been crumbling into fascism and communism while people applaud the slow march towards authoritarianism while they utterly destroy the life and property of their neighbors in favor of big corps and their billionaire owners. History surely rhymes.

As always, I respect other people's views, including yours even though you want people to be jailed because of theirs (in this case, me and a few family members), just would be entertaining for you to reflect how such absurd thing sounds. This is especially entertaining and ironic because siding with the biggest corporations on Earth and their government puppets is the direct opposite of being a "rebel" as your nickname attempts to portray. Don't worry, I won't call the cops onto you for having such a rebellious opinion.

Maybe check the first paragraph of the Nuremberg code, in case you're in doubt about my above statement and your confusion on fascism and freedom. Additionally, on your mention of Mr. Musso, he is on your side, don't worry.
Indeed, it is easy when you've tangled with this virus and have seen its effects first hand, never mind the data at large. Allow me to say, I find nothing about this pandemic "amusing" I wish it never happened and I want it to end. People being allowed the potential to spread it because they believe their personhood overrides the public safety of others is tyranny itself.

Communism? No one is seizing the means of production in this pandemic, in fact, some like Elon not only profit, but have advocated similar views to yours when the death rate was skyrocketing.

Fascism? There is no racial ideology arguing for the regiment of society and the cleansing of lessors. In fact, it's the anti-vaxxers and their so called "superior immune system" who have stated such. But go ahead with this victim narrative if it makes you feel better.

I'm not siding with anyone other than what the scientific consensus has concluded. The anti-government spiel at any evidence to the contrary is anti-scientific and not based in logic. A rebel without a just cause is exactly that.
erowind

Post by erowind »

The Nuremberg argument is very poor. I as an anarchist could easily read that paragraph to mean all wage-labor should be abolished as wage-labor is unconsenual and an abstracted form of slavery to me. The point is, people can have different definitions of what “consent” is exactly. I’m bringing this up because based on your other political views R8Z you would presumably consider wage labor a just and lawful phenomena within a functioning market economy.

This all said I very VERY critically agree. Forced medical interventions are a violation of consent and no individual should be threatened with jail time, fines, or any other form of violence over it. I say VERY critical because the same assholes advocating for the “bodily autonomy” of antivaxxers are the same ones demanding that trans people don’t have the right to transition, and, often go even further and demand such violent consent violations as forced sterilization, conversion therapy and obstruction of access to medical facilities.

All in all. The antivaxx milieu is hypocritical, ideological cherry-picking and incoherent. And on that note i’m probably not going to get in the way of the government when they try to force people to be vaccinated for the same reason that people like yourself would likely watch as people like me would be dragged into a gas chamber. And if you think i’m exaggerating, remember the allies in your political movement that you’re courting and why someone may say what i’m saying about it.