COVID-19 News and Discussions

wjfox
Site Admin

Re: COVID-19 News and Discussions

Post by wjfox »

Interestingly, we passed 100 doses per 100 people globally yesterday.

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/covi ... =~OWID_WRL

Obviously that doesn't mean the entire world is vaccinated (!) – "All doses, including boosters, are counted individually. As the same person may receive more than one dose, the number of doses per 100 people can be higher than 100."
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Great thread –

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Aaaaaaaand it's in the UK.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59445388

Another lockdown on the horizon, I guess. That'll be two years I've gone without seeing my family at Christmas.
raklian

Post by raklian »

To know is essentially the same as not knowing. The only thing that occurs is the rearrangement of atoms in your brain.
erowind

Post by erowind »

wjfox wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:29 pm Aaaaaaaand it's in the UK.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59445388

Another lockdown on the horizon, I guess. That'll be two years I've gone without seeing my family at Christmas.
There would still be risk to yourself if they had covid. But if you preemptively and properly social distanced for a few weeks before Christmas and both you and they were comfortable with it you could go. I don't know your family dynamic or how many people gather for Christmas though. My last Christmas was 4 other people besides myself so it wasn't too crowded.

I also don't know if you have siblings or not. But hypothetically if it were just you, your mum, and your dad it might be workable. Stay inside for 2 weeks, order everything online, be paranoid about wiping down the packages with alcohol wipes, etc.

Edit: I'm realizing I'm thinking like an American who owns their own car too. So public transit is another variable, but if they have a car maybe they could pick you up. Idk, just spitballing ideas because I think at some point even in light of the pandemic we have to find safe ways to see our loved ones.
Cyber_Rebel

Post by Cyber_Rebel »

erowind wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:14 pm Idk, just spitballing ideas because I think at some point even in light of the pandemic we have to find safe ways to see our loved ones.
Zoom? It may not be ideal, but if you're worried about keeping people safe yet still wish to see them then that seems like the most logical thing. It was always the future we were told would happen, we just didn't know exactly how it would be adopted.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Lol look at the date
And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

South African Scientists Brace for Wave Propelled by Omicron
by Andrew Meldrum
November 27, 2021

https://www.courthousenews.com/south-af ... y-omicron/

Introduction:
JOHANNESBURG (AP) — Worried scientists in South Africa are scrambling to combat the lightning spread across the country of the new and highly transmissible omicron Covid-19 variant as the world grapples with its emergence.

In the space of two weeks, the omicron variant has sent South Africa from a period of low transmission to rapid growth of new confirmed cases. The country's numbers are still relatively low, with 2,828 new confirmed cases recorded Friday, but omicron's speed in infecting young South Africans has alarmed health professionals.

"We're seeing a marked change in the demographic profile of patients with COVID-19," Rudo Mathivha, head of the intensive care unit at Soweto's Baragwanath Hospital, told an online press briefing.

"Young people, in their 20s to just over their late 30s, are coming in with moderate to severe disease, some needing intensive care. About 65% are not vaccinated and most of the rest are only half-vaccinated," said Mathivha. "I'm worried that as the numbers go up, the public health care facilities will become overwhelmed."

She said urgent preparations are needed to enable public hospitals to cope with a potential large influx of patients needing intensive care.
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »