COVID-19 News and Discussions

Ken_J

Re: COVID-19 News and Discussions

Post by Ken_J »

https://www.salon.com/2021/12/03/tremor ... bFJazGG3xA
A new study of long Covid patients is shedding light on a combination of underreported symptoms, including Parkinson's-like tremors and internal vibrations, that are severely impacting the lives of those affected.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Covid Singularity:

andmar74

Post by andmar74 »

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/omicron-va ... -efficacy/
[Pfizer and BioNTech said on Wednesday that while the standard two-dose regimen of their vaccine was "significantly less effective at blocking the virus," a booster shot "neutralized the Omicron variant in lab tests."
Wow I just realized, I will not get the booster shot in time. Omicron will dominate very soon.
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

^^^Yes, the current vaccine approach is way too much like playing whack-a-mole.

What I came here to post:

How Bad is Omicron? Some Clues are Emerging
by Ykai Kupferschmidt and Gretchen Vogel
December 7, 2021

https://www.science.org/content/article ... ncouraging

Introduction:
(Science) Testing stations and hospital wards in Gauteng, South Africa’s most populous province. A company’s Christmas party in Oslo, Norway, that became a superspreading event. Infection patterns in the United Kingdom.

Scientists are scouring patchy evidence from around the world to better understand Omicron, the new SARS-CoV-2 variant, and what it might mean for the next phase of the pandemic. Three weeks after Omicron was discovered, there are still mostly questions, but a few hints have emerged—some worrisome, others more encouraging.

Researchers are focusing on three key questions: Can Omicron evade immunity from vaccines or previous infections? How transmissible is it? And how much severe disease will it cause?

The most solid clues so far pertain to the first question—and they are not reassuring. The genome alone—with more than 30 mutations in the all-important spike protein—suggested the variant might well be the best yet at dodging our immune defenses. And early data from South Africa seem to confirm that worry: A study published last week that analyzed 35,670 reinfections among nearly 2.8 million positive tests carried out through late November suggested an earlier infection with COVID-19 only offers half as much protection against the new variant as it does against Delta. That’s a sign Omicron is able to escape at least some of the immune system’s defenses, and it suggests COVID-19 vaccines may be less effective against the new variant as well. How big a problem that will become depends on whether vaccinations and previous infections still protect against severe disease, says Justin Lessler, an epidemiologist at the University of North Carolina. Chapel Hill.

Whether Omicron is more transmissible than its predecessors—as both Alpha and Delta were—is harder to judge. Omicron cases in South Africa have risen steeply in the past few weeks, but that could be explained in part by chance or the variant’s ability to infect those who are vaccinated or had a previous infection.
Discussion of “how much severe disease it will cause” is discussed in that part of the article not cited above.
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
raklian

Post by raklian »

I'm starting to think the only way we can get out of this pandemic is to invent a completely new technology that eradicates all forms of viruses without involving the immune system. :?

To know is essentially the same as not knowing. The only thing that occurs is the rearrangement of atoms in your brain.
R8Z

Post by R8Z »

It is very interesting how we are now able to quickly update and deploy new versions of vaccines. The mRNA tech/approach is fascinating.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... t-omicron/
And, as always, bye bye.
Xyls

Post by Xyls »

raklian wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:54 pm I'm starting to think the only way we can get out of this pandemic is to invent a completely new technology that eradicates all forms of viruses without involving the immune system. :?

Well, there is actually only 1 way to get out of this pandemic at this point in my opinion. With the virus now widely circulating in wildlife as well the likelihood of more mutations is just getting stronger as well as humans coming into contact with new mutations. Basically, we need a universal coronavirus vaccine - a vaccine that focuses on parts of the coronavirus that remain stable across the coronaviridae. Since most mutations for these viruses seem to involve spike proteins we probably need a vaccine that works on the capsid of the virus instead. These are already being researched but the governments need to apply massive urgency to concepts as it looks like we will be needing another lockdown in January to stop another explosive wave of COVID, from what appears to be a vaccine evasive variant. Unfortunately, for some countries like the Brazil or the US, where I don't see some State governments going a long with this like they did in Europe and I think the death toll is going to explode over the winter again.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/08/maga ... cines.html
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

caltrek

Post by caltrek »

I don't see some State governments going a long with this like they did in Europe and I think the death toll is going to explode over the winter again.
A variation of the Shock Doctrine: Republican controlled state governments thwart federal efforts to minimize damages to the public health. All blame Biden for not solving the problem. Republicans regain full control of government. Goodby democracy for many generations to come.

Anti-science false consciousness has its price.
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
Xyls

Post by Xyls »

^. Well Fauci isn't helping matters running his mouth with the Omicron looks "mild" crap either, just building that complacency before they need to do an about face in the winter.