COVID-19 News and Discussions

Ken_J

Re: COVID-19 News and Discussions

Post by Ken_J »

https://news.yahoo.com/florida-school-s ... 22021.html

A Florida school says vaccinated students must stay home for 30 days after each shot, citing a false claim that they'll infect others
raklian

Post by raklian »

Ken_J wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:28 am https://news.yahoo.com/florida-school-s ... 22021.html

A Florida school says vaccinated students must stay home for 30 days after each shot, citing a false claim that they'll infect others
Insane.
To know is essentially the same as not knowing. The only thing that occurs is the rearrangement of atoms in your brain.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

Covid-19: New mutation of Delta variant under close watch in UK
Source: BBC

Officials are keeping a close watch on a new descendant of the Delta variant of Covid that is causing a growing number of infections. Delta is the UK's dominant variant, but latest official data suggests 6% of Covid cases that have been genetically sequenced are of a new type. AY.4.2, which some are calling "Delta Plus", contains mutations that might give the virus survival advantages. Tests are under way to understand how much of a threat it may pose. Experts say it is unlikely to take off in a big way or escape current vaccines.

It is not yet considered a variant of concern, or a variant under investigation - the categories assigned to variants and the level of risk associated with them.

What is AY.4.2?

There are thousands of different types - or variants - of Covid circulating across the world. Viruses mutate all the time, so it is not surprising to see new versions emerge. Original Delta was classified as a variant of concern in the UK in May 2021 after overtaking the Alpha variant to become the dominant type of Covid in circulation. But in July 2021 experts identified AY.4.2. This offshoot or sublineage of Delta has been increasing slowly since then. It includes some new mutations affecting the spike protein, which the virus uses to penetrate our cells.

So far, there is no indication that it is considerably more transmissible as a result of these changes, but it is something experts are studying. The mutations - Y145H and A222V - have been found in various other coronavirus lineages since the beginning of the pandemic.
Read more: https://www.bbc.com/news/health-58965650
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

It is not constructive or useful to the species to turn this into a ****flinging contest between apologism for a given person's favorite imperialist country, whether that country be the People's Republic of China or the United States. And pushing the lab "hypothesis" is very much part of that ****flinging because it only serves as rhetorical deflection.
@Erowind,

I just thought that I would pass along to you that I recently entered into an argument with one of my Facebook "friends" on this topic. As sure as night follows day my friend was pushing the "lab hypothesis."

Your post, especially the thought I have cited above, was helpful to me in formulating my counter-argument. Thanks!
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
erowind

Post by erowind »

@Caltrek

Aww you're welcome thankyou. For that matter I don't think everything you were saying is wrong. I'm a very fervent debater as you know. I genuinely liked your post referencing the Board of Atomic Scientists and think that there is value in criticizing China should it conclusively be found that the lab was responsible in this case. Though not for realipolitik, I would hope for some new international research safety standard to emerge from the event. Anyways, I won't ramble anymore, plenty has already be said :-)

Unrelated, just condensing my posts.
This a funny little piece of journalism I saw recently.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »