https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... ns-omicron
wjfox
Site Admin

Re: COVID-19 News and Discussions

Post by wjfox »

Grace2Paulson

Post by Grace2Paulson »

Did anyone do a booster dose of the vaccine after Fizer? What is better to use? Fizer again or Moderna?
erowind

Post by erowind »

Grace2Paulson wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 8:51 pm Did anyone do a booster dose of the vaccine after Fizer? What is better to use? Fizer again or Moderna?
This is based off of memory. Things may have changed compared to the end of last year. I think mixing them produces the most effective immune response. As in, if you're fully vaccinated with two pfizer shots than the booster should be a moderna shot. And vice versa if you're fully vaccinated with two moderna shots than the booster should be pfizer.

Personally I got the moderna vaccine and if I get a booster I'll get moderna again. Despite thinking vaccines are important and not buying into the rhetoric behind the anti-vax movement. I do think there is a point about risk in that we weren't able to test them for long enough because the pandemic is an emergency. That in mind I'd rather only expose myself to one vaccine in case there are unforeseen long-term side effects, this way I'd only be exposing myself to one of those sets of potential negative side-effects. Don't let that dissuade you though, in any case whatever risk there is, is way less risky than not being vaccinated at all.

The other reason I lean towards moderna is because the moderna vaccine is slightly more effective overall. https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/ ... an-pfizer/

And do get a booster shot if you can. I haven't because it was impossible to get an appointment months ago and I got depressed about the whole thing and haven't tried again yet but probably will.
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

Study Funds that Cognitive Impairment from Severe COVID-19 Equivalent to 20 Years of Ageing
May 3, 2022

https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/951275

Introduction:
(EurekAlert) Cognitive impairment as a result of severe COVID-19 is similar to that sustained between 50 and 70 years of age and is the equivalent to losing 10 IQ points, say a team of scientists from the University of Cambridge and Imperial College London.

The findings, published in the journal eClinicalMedicine, emerge from the NIHR COVID-19 BioResource. The results of the study suggest the effects are still detectable more than six months after the acute illness, and that any recovery is at best gradual.

There is growing evidence that COVID-19 can cause lasting cognitive and mental health problems, with recovered patients reporting symptoms including fatigue, ‘brain fog’, problems recalling words, sleep disturbances, anxiety and even post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) months after infection. In the UK, a study found that around one in seven individuals surveyed reported having symptoms that included cognitive difficulties 12 weeks after a positive COVID-19 test.

While even mild cases can lead to persistent cognitive symptoms, between a third and three-quarters of hospitalised patients report still suffering cognitive symptoms three to six months later.

To explore this link in greater detail, researchers analysed data from 46 individuals who received in-hospital care, on the ward or intensive care unit, for COVID-19 at Addenbrooke’s Hospital, part of Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust. 16 patients were put on mechanical ventilation during their stay in hospital. All the patients were admitted between March and July 2020 and were recruited to the NIHR COVID-19 BioResource.
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
raklian

Post by raklian »

To know is essentially the same as not knowing. The only thing that occurs is the rearrangement of atoms in your brain.
erowind

Post by erowind »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... -indonesia

I'm putting this here because I'm speculating that the cause of the unknown acute hepatitis is COVID. Just because these cases have been in children with no documented previous case of covid or current covid infection doesn't mean it's not covid. Their cases could have been asymptomatic, mild or otherwise ignored by the parents and acute hepatitis may well be a medium to long-term symptom of certain expressions of long-covid in young children.

Not that every medical issue must be covid of course. But given the viruses global circulation and the problems we now know long-covid can cause, it makes sense to me that it's a possible reason for these mysterious cases.
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

Death Toll During Pandemic Far Exceeds Totals Reported by Countries, W.H.O. Says
Source: New York Times

In Mexico, the excess death toll during the first two years of the pandemic was twice as high as the government’s official tally of Covid deaths. In Egypt, excess deaths were roughly 12 times as great as the official Covid toll. In Pakistan, the figure was eight times as high. Those estimates, along with others for nearly every nation, were calculated by a global panel of experts assembled by the World Health Organization and published on Thursday. Together they offered a startling glimpse of how drastically the death counts reported by many governments have understated the true toll of the pandemic.

Overall, roughly 14.9 million more people worldwide died in 2020 and 2021 than would have been expected to in normal times, the experts estimated. Most were victims of Covid itself, they said, but some died because the pandemic made it more difficult to get medical care for ailments such as heart attacks. The previous toll, based solely on death counts reported by countries, was six million. Much of the loss of life from the pandemic was concentrated in 2021, when new and more contagious variants drove surges of the virus even in countries that had fended off earlier outbreaks. The total number of people who died globally in 2021 was roughly 18 percent larger — an extra 10 million people — than it would have been without the pandemic, the W.H.O.-assembled experts estimated.

“It’s absolutely staggering what has happened with this pandemic, including our inability to accurately monitor it,” said Dr. Prabhat Jha, an epidemiologist at St. Michael’s Hospital and the University of Toronto, who was a member of the expert working group that made the calculations. “It shouldn’t happen in the 21st century.” The W.H.O. assembled the expert team in the first months of the pandemic and tasked it with attempting to calculate a measure known as excess mortality: the difference between the number of people who died during the pandemic and the number who would have been expected to die in normal times.

The calculations combined national data on reported deaths with new information from localities and household surveys, and with statistical models that aimed to account for deaths that were missed. The excess death data had been ready since January, but its release had been stalled by objections from India, which disputes the methodology for calculating how many of its citizens died. Nearly a third of the excess deaths globally — 4.7 million — took place in India, according to the W.H.O. estimates. The Indian government’s own figure through the end of 2021 is 481,080 deaths.
Read more: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/05/heal ... &smtyp=cur
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »