COVID-19 News and Discussions

andmar74

Re: COVID-19 News and Discussions

Post by andmar74 »

Mutation rate of Covid19 virus is at least 50 per cent higher than previously thought
That's great, if Covid-19 is headed for a common cold virus.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

United Airlines workers with religious objections to COVID vaccine will be placed on unpaid leave

United Airlines told employees that they will be placed on indefinite unpaid leave if they refuse to get a Covid vaccine for religious reasons.

The company's vaccine mandate is much tougher than those imposed by many other companies, or the ones announced by President Joe Biden Thursday. The federal mandate, and many already announced at other companies, give employees a choice between getting vaccinated or getting weekly Covid tests. At United, it's essentially vaccination or termination.

Although United is granting accommodations for employees who have a valid medical or religious reason not to get vaccinated, it disclosed this week there would be costs for those who cite their religious belief as a reason not to be vaccinated.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/unite ... ar-AAOjoLH
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

The delta variant may be slowly killing the family movie
Last November, the movie business was in desperate need of good news when an unlikely savior appeared in “The Croods: A New Age.”

At a time when many movie theaters were closed, DreamWorks Animation’s sequel about a family of outspoken cave men defied the vaccine-less moment and opened strongly in a reduced number of venues, selling an average of nearly 800 tickets at each screen. The data sent a clear and reassuring message: No matter what hurdles moviegoing faced, it could always count on family films.

Nearly 10 months later, a tougher reality is unfolding: People have stopped buying tickets to family films. In a striking development, the great all-ages unifier of American pop culture is struggling.

Over this past summer, these family-friendly movies arrived — “The Boss Baby: Family Business” and “Spirit Untamed,” “Paw Patrol: The Movie” and “Space Jam: A New Legacy.” And, one by one, they went, attracting just a small fraction of the usual ticket buyers — sometimes even smaller than the titles aimed at older audiences in a dismal box-office summer. No family film this year has exceeded $100 million in domestic receipts. In 2019, 11 of them did.
And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Ken_J

Post by Ken_J »

Yuli Ban wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:58 pm
wow, never thought I'd see the day when I thought, maybe the population could really benefit from more douche bags.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

It's all beyond belief
I've never been more baffled by my species than in these past few months
raklian

Post by raklian »

Yuli Ban wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:24 am It's all beyond belief
I've never been more baffled by my species than in these past few months
Yeah, I've been thinking deeply about this as well. I realized all of this is to be expected. Yep, you heard it. It was ALL TO BE EXPECTED. As it turns out, we were never a species apart from the rest. We are just one of the millions out there. See those apes? See how generally stupid they are? We're their cousins and there is next to no difference between us. Having a larger prefontal cortex than them doesn't put the distance between us as much as we think it does - it's purely ego to think it does.
To know is essentially the same as not knowing. The only thing that occurs is the rearrangement of atoms in your brain.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

1 in every 500 US residents have died of Covid-19

Updated 1509 GMT (2309 HKT) September 15, 2021

The United States has reached another grim milestone in its fight against the devastating Covid-19 pandemic: 1 in 500 Americans have died from coronavirus since the nation's first reported infection.

As of Tuesday night, 663,913 people in the US have died of Covid-19, according to Johns Hopkins University data. According to the US Census Bureau, the US population as of April 2020 was 331.4 million.

It's a sobering toll that comes as hospitals in the US are struggling to keep up with the volume of patients and more children are grappling with the virus. In hopes of managing the spread and preventing more unnecessary deaths, officials are implementing mandates for vaccinations in workplaces and masking in schools.

They're fighting against daily case, hospitalization and death rates that jumped after the early summer as the highly contagious Delta variant became dominant.

The country averaged more than 152,300 new Covid-19 cases each day over the past week as of Tuesday -- more than 13 times than what it was on June 22, when the average was at its lowest of 2021 (11,303 daily), according to Johns Hopkins University data.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/09/15/heal ... index.html