Cultured & Alternative Foods News and Discussions

Nanotechandmorefuture

Re: Cultured & Alternative Foods News and Discussions

Post by Nanotechandmorefuture »

Vakanai wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:10 pm But I will gladly eat all the plant-meat over bugs. I don't want to eat bugs and the "bugs are the future of food" push creeps me out.
The real food is always a good thing. Btw you are right about reluctance about the bugs stuff. Not joking when I say it seems to be attempting to be a worldwide thing. Def not down with that personally.

I'll stick with eating real healthy foods like real steak while biting down on one and shaking my head side to side like a dog to appreciate it especially if this synth meat stuff becomes a little too common.
raklian

Post by raklian »

FDA says lab-grown meat is safe for human consumption

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/11/17/fda-say ... ption.html
The Food and Drug Administration for the first time cleared a lab-grown meat product developed by a California start-up as safe for human consumption, marking a key milestone for cell-cultivated meats to eventually become available in U.S. supermarkets and restaurants.

The FDA cleared Upside Foods, formerly known as Memphis Meats, to use animal cell culture technology to take living cells from chickens and grow the cells in a controlled environment to produce cultured animal cell food.

The agency said it evaluated Upside Food’s production and cultured cell material and has “no further questions” about the safety of its cultivated chicken filet. The company will be able to bring its products to market once it’s been inspected by the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
To know is essentially the same as not knowing. The only thing that occurs is the rearrangement of atoms in your brain.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Vakanai

Post by Vakanai »

wjfox wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:36 am

While promising and exciting, I could have told them that the texture was never going to be the biggest challenge. The biggest challenge is bringing the cost down to where it's competitive with meat prices. I'm a meat eater, but I don't hold meat on some pedestal - I just eat it because I like it. If I can get the same meaty experience with plants then I'll switch over no problem. But I'm eating the cheapest meat I can get already and am not a fan of the rising price of groceries.
Now a lot of the price is going to come down just because of industrial expansion - nothing like mass production to help bring costs down. But it's probably still a while to go. But hopefully it will be a lot faster than I'm worried about.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Lab grown meat is perhaps the best way to start a large scale shift away from animal agriculture and mitigate climate change. While plant substitutes are increasing in popularity, they will never perfectly replicate the real thing. In the future, the technology will however need to be improved to allow for mass production, and many will doubtless resist this as not the same as “real meat.”

Though I will say, as a Louisiana native, I don't expect insects to be all that different from a lot of the seafood we eat. I can happily down loads of shrimp and crawfish, and those are basically bugs. That said, I am not at all offended by people who are disgusted by the globo' push to Eat Ze Bugs.
And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
ººº

Post by ººº »

Artificial food maybe (depends how good), but I will never eat bugs. If I do I might as well eat corpses or feces.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

raklian

Post by raklian »

wjfox wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:17 pm
I would pay to eat that. Salmon is one of my favorites, even it may be cultured-grown.
To know is essentially the same as not knowing. The only thing that occurs is the rearrangement of atoms in your brain.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Nanotechandmorefuture

Post by Nanotechandmorefuture »

wjfox wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:39 pm
Its gotta be rough and she does not look amused.