Cultured & Alternative Foods News and Discussions

Time_Traveller

Re: Cultured & Alternative Foods News and Discussions

Post by Time_Traveller »

Cultured Meat Brand Aims To Spare 27 Million Animals After Raising Nearly $100M
15TH AUGUST 2023

A Dutch cultivated meat brand has raised $35 million in a funding round, bringing its total amount raised to $95 million.

Meatable is based in the Netherlands, and creates cell-based (also known as cultured or “lab grown”) meat, specifically pig and cow products. It claims that its pork takes just eight days to grow, which is 30 times faster than the average time taken to rear a pig for meat.

Investors included Invest-NL, which gave $17 million, as well as DSM Venturing, BlueYard Capital, Bridford Group, and MilkyWay. Meatable will use the money to accelerate the launch of its pork products, which it hopes to sell in Singapore (which was the first country to give regulatory approval for cell-based meat) in the next year.

“This is a huge sign of confidence in the incredible quality, taste, and proven scalability of our product, especially in the current investment climate,” Krijn de Nood, co-founder and CEO of Meatable, said in a statement. “We believe cultivated meat is the answer and we are confident we have the tools and the processes in place to make this a reality.”

https://plantbasednews.org/news/economi ... pOAUlVcv0c
"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams."

-H.G Wells.
Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

Singaporean scientists create 3D printed vegan seafood with authentic taste
AUGUST 17, 2023

A TEAM OF scientists from Singapore has found a way to create an alternative source of seafood protein using a food-grade 3D printer.

Unveiling: The scientists from the National University of Singapore unveiled their project in a press release on Sunday. They are also planning to present their work at the American Chemical Society (ACS), where 12,000 presentations will be hosted on a wide range of scientific topics between Aug. 13 and 17.

What they discovered: During the experiment, the Singaporean scientists reportedly found a way to create seafood using a food-grade 3D printer and ingredients that mimic its taste and mouthfeel.

In one of their tests, the scientists created protein-based meat that mimics the taste of real seafood, such as salmon and shrimp, by combining ingredients like red lentils and protein-based ink.

Dejian Huang, the principal investigator for the research, said they hoped to print food “interesting with the potential for commercialization.”
https://nextshark.com/singaporean-scien ... ua5271MRRs
"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams."

-H.G Wells.
Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

By 2028, Vegan Eggs Could Displace 2.6 Billion Chicken Eggs. Meet the Company Leading the Charge.
SEPTEMBER 21, 2023

In 2019, ready-made vegan eggs mostly existed inside the kitchens of home chefs, who turned to clever substitutes such as bananas, apple sauce, chia seeds, and powdered egg replacers. Back then, vegan omelets were just a magic trick cooks performed with tofu spiced with kala namak (a sulfuric black salt)

But in just four years, while traditional eggs continue to face struggles—such as recurring bird flu outbreaks—the vegan egg market has grown leaps and bounds.

A new report from market research firm Technavio is forecasting that the sector will grow at a compound annual growth rate of 8.3 percent from 2022 to 2027. This amounts to a significant market increase of approximately $911 million.

The primary forces behind this anticipated growth are health benefits, such as zero cholesterol and lack of saturated fats, ethical commitments to animal welfare, and increased environmental consciousness.

https://vegnews.com/2023/9/vegan-eggs-chicken-just-egg

-H.G Wells.
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

The Bizarre New Frontier for Cell-cultivated Meat: Lion Burgers, Tiger Steaks, and Mammoth Meatballs
September 24, 2023

Introduction:
(Vox) What is the strangest meat you’ve eaten?

For me, it’s reindeer. This was during a trip to Finland when I was 7. We’d gone to the Arctic Circle, where I hoped to meet Father Christmas. I remember being driven through dark forests on the back of a snowmobile to a firelit clearing where we ate reindeer sausages. Though my baby brain didn’t then realize I was eating one of Rudolph’s cousins and that Santa might disapprove, I enjoyed the meat. It was spiced and tender and warmed me after the freezing journey.

Eating reindeer remains one of my core memories, though I now consider eating all animals gross and unethical. But I’ve discovered reindeer is not a very exotic meat, at least compared with what my Instagram followers have been eating. When I posted the question: “What’s the most exotic meat you’ve eaten?” I discovered my followers had eaten everything, from alligator to minke whale.

Which animals we find acceptable to eat vary from person to person, according to our values, palates, and upbringing. Many consider eating cows and chickens okay, but not octopus, dolphin, or tiger. Right now, you’d be hard-pressed to find tiger meat in your local supermarket, but developments in tech are making a future possible in which eating exotic meats, from alligator to zebra, could be commonplace.

But, how? Well, factory-farmed tiger, thankfully, is not about to become a dystopian reality. But we might one day eat “ethical” tiger through innovations in cultured-cell technology.
Read more here: https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/238 ... ethics
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

Leading Dutch Dairy Company Boermarke Announces it Will Become 100% Plant-Based
September 22, 2023

Boermarke, a leading Dutch dairy company, announces that after three decades in the dairy industry, it will now focus entirely on the production and development of plant-based dairy products, with the goal of making these products available in all European supermarkets within three years.

Following a reported 800 percent growth in its vegan dairy production over the past three years, the company announces it will transfer its animal dairy operations to another Dutch dairy firm, De Zuivelhoeve, and gradually transition the Boermarke range to 100 percent vegan products under its own brand Vairy or via private label.
https://vegconomist.com/company-news/bo ... ant-based/

-H.G Wells.
Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

Vegan Yogurt Market Set To Reach $12.2 Billion By 2033
3 MINUTES READ

The global vegan yogurt market is set to reach USD $12.2 billion by 2033 while rising at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of six percent, forecasters have predicted.

In a report published earlier this week, experts stated that increasing demand in alternatives like oat, soy, cashew, and almond is fueling the market.

Consumer interest in these products is partly driven by health, the report says. It’s thought that around 68 percent of the world’s population has lactose malabsorption (a reduced ability to digest lactose). There is also greater awareness of the environmental implications of buying dairy. The dairy industry contributes to around four percent of global greenhouse gas emissions, and it also uses up vast amounts of land and freshwater.

Concern about the ethical implications of dairy is also mentioned in the report. There are 270 million cows being used for milk around the world, and it’s well documented that they suffer on farms. In order to produce milk, cows must first become pregnant, and each time have their baby taken from them so they can be milked. Cows will often bellow for days after their calf is gone. Dairy cows will be artificially impregnated each year until their body gives up, at which point they’ll be sent to the slaughterhouse.

https://plantbasednews.org/news/economi ... QSnC78RNLs

-H.G Wells.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Lab-Grown Meat Prices Expected to Drop Dramatically

By Alexander Fabino On 10/17/23 at 12:40 PM EDT

Lab-grown meat could see a significant decrease in price if it continues its current trajectory, potentially matching conventional meat costs by 2030.

Cultivated meat, also known as lab-grown meat, is produced when animal cells are replicated using a bioreactor. The technique could reduce the reliance on farmlands. Livestock farming uses more than a quarter of the planet's ice-free land and contributes to about 15% of global greenhouse gas emissions, according to a McKinsey & Co. report.

But the cost of producing this alternative has provided a barrier to most consumers. The first lab-produced beef burger cost a whopping $325,000 back in 2013. Producers have since slashed production costs by 99 percent to roughly $17 per pound. Singapore approved cultivated meat for consumption in 2020, opening the floodgate for investors.

That same year, over 100 lab-grown meat start-ups secured around $350 million in funding. The number ballooned to $1.4 billion in 2021.

https://www.newsweek.com/lab-grown-meat ... et-1835432
erowind

Post by erowind »

Can’t wait to try some soon hopefully. The lab grown cream cheese I had was quite good.
Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

Company Makes ‘Healthy And Nutritious’ Vegan Cheese Made From Peas
7TH NOVEMBER 2023

Vegan cheese can be made using all sorts of ingredients. Coconut milk, potato starch, cashew nuts. And now: peas.

Researchers from the University of Nottingham have received over £300,000 in public funding to develop “Cheese from Peas” with The Good Pulse Company. Yellow peas are the focus of the research because they are nutritious and are already grown in the UK.

“We are focused on creating a product that is tasty, has excellent nutritional value and that is also sustainable,” Vincenzo di Bari, Assistant Professor in Food Structure and Processing at the University of Nottingham, said in a statement.

Researchers in Denmark have also been using yellow peas to make cheese. By fermenting yellow pea protein, they havedeveloped a firm cheese while reducing the bean-like aroma of the peas.
https://plantbasednews.org/news/science ... 3mvT4IUF3M

-H.G Wells.