Cultured & Alternative Foods News and Discussions

weatheriscool

Re: Cultured & Alternative Foods News and Discussions

Post by weatheriscool »

Seaweed and 3D printers: Chile's innovative approach to feeding kids
https://techxplore.com/news/2022-06-sea ... roach.html
by Alberto Peña
Food engineering student Alonso Vasquez cuts cochayuyo seaweed to process it before putting it into a 3D printer at the lab of Chile's University in Santiago, on June 17, 2022.
Some dehydrated "cochayuyo" seaweed, some instant mashed potatoes and hot water: these are the ingredients for a nutritious menu of 3D printed food that nutritional experts in Chile hope will revolutionize the food market, particularly for children.

With a 3D food printer and a modern twist on the traditional use of cochayuyo, an algae typically found in Chile, New Zealand and the South Atlantic, Roberto Lemus, a professor at the University of Chile and several students, have managed to create nutritious and edible figures that they hope kids will love to eat.

Pokemon figures, or any type of animal imaginable, are all fed into the 3D printer, together with the gelatinous mixture, and the food is "printed" out seven minutes later.

"We looking for different figures, fun figures...visual, colors, taste, flavors, smells," Lemus told AFP.

But, he stressed, the main focus is on nutritional content. "The product has to be highly nutritious for people, but it also has to be tasty," he said.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Cultivated meat will inevitably be drawn into the culture war

Jon Hochschartner
Jun 19

Last month, the fascist Republican congresswoman Marjorie Taylor Greene was trending on Twitter. I try to stay off Twitter as much as I can for the sake of mental health, but it’s often hard to avoid when following the news. I was surprised to see Greene was trending for comments she made about cultivated meat, something I’ve tried to advance in recent activism.

“You have to accept the fact that the government totally wants to provide surveillance on every part of your life,” she said. “They want to know if you’re eating a cheeseburger, which is very bad because Bill Gates wants you to eat his fake meat that grows in a peach tree dish [sic].” The fascist went on, saying the government would punish those who didn’t comply.

[...]

This reminded me of comradely criticism I’ve received from some in the cultivated-meat space. In short, they worry that my activism will help draw this new protein into the culture war. The more I’ve thought about it, the more I believe that — if cultivated meat truly threatens animal agriculture — this is inevitable.

You can’t hope for significant change without expecting resistance. Surely, we should do what we can so as not to needlessly inflame resistance, but resistance will come.

https://slaughterfreeamerica.substack.c ... vitably-be
Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

Ukrainian borscht recognised by Unesco with entry on to safeguarding list
Fri 1 Jul 2022

More than four months after Russian tanks rolled into their country, Ukraine has proclaimed a victory of sorts – albeit one steeped in beetroot and backed by Unesco.

On Friday the UN cultural body said it had added the culture of Ukrainian borscht-making to its list of intangible culture heritage in need of urgent safeguarding.

“Whether as part of a wedding meal, the focus of food-related competitions or as a driver of tourism, borscht is considered part of the fabric of Ukrainian society, cultural heritage, identity and tradition,” Unesco said in a statement.

It was careful to describe Ukrainian borscht as a national take on a dish consumed in several countries of the region.

Even so, the decision to add Ukrainian borscht to a list that includes Neapolitan pizza-slinging and Georgian winemaking was swiftly slammed by Moscow, with foreign ministry spokesperson Maria Zakharova accusing Kyiv of trying to appropriate the soup for one nationality. “This is xenophobia,” she said.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... rding-list
"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams."

-H.G Wells.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Wow. Impressive figures.

-----

Plant-based meat by far the best climate investment, report finds

July 09, 2022

One of the largest consulting organizations in the world claims that investments in meat substitutes made from plants have a much bigger impact on reducing greenhouse gas emissions than other green initiatives.

According to a report from the Boston Consulting Group (BCG), investing in developing and expanding the production of meat and dairy substitutes reduced greenhouse gas emissions by three times as much per dollar as investing in green cement technology, seven times as much as investing in green buildings, and eleven times as much as investing in zero-emission vehicles.

Due to the significant difference in greenhouse gas emissions between the production of conventional meat and dairy products and the growth of plants, investments in plant-based meat substitutes have a strong influence on emissions. For instance, compared to tofu, beef produces six to thirty times higher emissions.

According to BCG, spending on alternative proteins—which also includes fermented foods and meat made from cells—will increase from $1 billion (£830 million) in 2019 to $5 billion in 2021. Currently, just 2% of meat, eggs, and dairy products are substitutes; however, the analysis projects that this percentage will increase to 11% by 2035. This would lower emissions by a quantity that is approximately equal to the production of all aviation worldwide. However, according to BCG, the market for meat substitutes might expand considerably more quickly as a consequence of improved goods, more manufacturing, and legal reforms that facilitate marketing and sales.

Malte Clausen, a partner at BCG, stated that "widespread adoption of alternative proteins can play a crucial role in mitigating climate change." We refer to this as the "untapped climate potential" since investing in alternative proteins has a greater economic impact than investing in any other area of the economy.

https://www.tech-paper.com/2022/07/plan ... imate.html

Vakanai

Post by Vakanai »

I like the concept of plant-meat, but for me it needs to be both indistinguishable from and at least as cheap as real meat. I tried an Impossible Whopper, and it was okay but tasted inferior to an actual meat Whopper.

But I will gladly eat all the plant-meat over bugs. I don't want to eat bugs and the "bugs are the future of food" push creeps me out.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Vakanai wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:10 pm
But I will gladly eat all the plant-meat over bugs. I don't want to eat bugs and the "bugs are the future of food" push creeps me out.
I've tried bugs and they were delicious. :)
Vakanai

Post by Vakanai »

wjfox wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:44 am
Vakanai wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:10 pm
I've tried bugs and they were delicious. :)
Fair enough - you can have all the ants and crickets, because I'm really not interested in trying that personally. I might have to move on from animal meat one day, but I don't think I'll ever move onto insects.
funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »

I ate some Beyond Meat Jerky, and it was excellent. It tasted exactly like real beef jerky and even had the same chewy texture. Best of all, it's cheaper than real beef jerky. Try it!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Beyond-Meat- ... /732575645
Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

Synthetic Milk Is Coming, And It Could Radically Shake Up Dairy
29 August 2022

The global dairy industry is changing. Among the disruptions is competition from food alternatives not produced using animals – including potential challenges posed by synthetic milk.

Synthetic milk does not require cows or other animals. It can have the same biochemical make up as animal milk, but is grown using an emerging biotechnology technique know as "precision fermentation" that produces biomass cultured from cells.

More than 80 percent of the world's population regularly consume dairy products. There have been increasing calls to move beyond animal-based food systems to more sustainable forms of food production.

Synthetic milks offer dairy milk without concerns such as methane emissions or animal welfare. But it must overcome many challenges and pitfalls to become a fair, sustainable, and viable alternative to animal-based milk.
https://www.sciencealert.com/synthetic- ... e-up-dairy
"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams."

-H.G Wells.
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

How Magnets Could Improve Cell Based Meat
October 18, 2022

Introduction:
(Futurity) Cultured meat is an alternative to animal farming with advantages such as reducing carbon footprint and the risk of transmitting diseases in animals. However, the current method of producing cultured meat involves using other animal products, which largely defeats the purpose, or drugs to stimulate the growth of the meat.

Conclusion:
The new technique uses a delicately tuned pulsed magnetic field developed by the team to culture myogenic stem cells, which are found in skeletal muscle and bone marrow tissue.

Franco-Obregón explains, “In response to a short 10-minute exposure to the magnetic fields, the cells release a myriad of molecules that have regenerative, metabolic, anti-inflammatory, and immunity-boosting properties. These substances are part of what is known as the muscle ‘secretome’ (for secreted factors) and are necessary for the growth, survival, and development of cells into tissues. We are very excited about the possibility that magnetically-stimulated secretome release may one day replace the need for FBS in the production of cultured meat.”

He adds, “The muscle knows how to produce what it needs to grow and develop—it simply needs a little bit of encouragement when it is outside its owner. This is what our magnetic fields can provide.”

The research team reports their findings in the journal Biomaterials. A patent has also been filed for this novel technology and the team is currently in active discussions with potential industry partners to commercialize the technology.
Read more of the Futurity article here: https://www.futurity.org/cell-based-me ... 816162-2/

For the technical Biomaterials article: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ ... ia%3Dihub
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill