BCIs & Neurotechnology News and Discussions

Yuli Ban

Re: BCIs & Neurotechnology News and Discussions

Post by Yuli Ban »

Pong? Kernel and Aim Lab partner to bring BCIs to eSports
Today, Kernel is announcing its second commercial partnership, with Statespace, publisher of Aim Lab. With over 16 million players globally, Aim Lab is an industry leader in performance optimization and training for eSports and video gaming. The combination of Kernel’s groundbreaking neurotechnology and Aim Lab’s competitive user base is the ideal partnership to leverage Kernel’s brain-computer interface (BCI) for quantified performance enhancement.

"What's measured is improved, and Kernel is making brain measurement mainstream,” said Kernel founder Bryan Johnson. “Pairing Kernel Flow with Aim Lab opens a new frontier of learning and mental optimization.”
And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Flow 50 Partner Update
Our Flow 50 partners are an extraordinary collection of talent. Below is just a partial list. Stay tuned for the first shipment, unboxing and initial reactions!
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

Tapping into the Brain to Help a Paralyzed Man Speak

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/14/heal ... 175be38b67
By Pam Belluck

July 14, 2021Updated 5:28 p.m. ET
He has not been able to speak since 2003, when he was paralyzed at age 20 by a severe stroke after a terrible car crash.

Now, in a scientific milestone, researchers have tapped into the speech areas of his brain — allowing him to produce comprehensible words and sentences simply by trying to say them. When the man, known by his nickname, Pancho, tries to speak, electrodes implanted in his brain transmit signals to a computer that displays them on the screen.

His first recognizable sentence, researchers said, was, “My family is outside.”
funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »

weatheriscool wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:31 pm Tapping into the Brain to Help a Paralyzed Man Speak

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/14/heal ... 175be38b67
By Pam Belluck

July 14, 2021Updated 5:28 p.m. ET
He has not been able to speak since 2003, when he was paralyzed at age 20 by a severe stroke after a terrible car crash.

Now, in a scientific milestone, researchers have tapped into the speech areas of his brain — allowing him to produce comprehensible words and sentences simply by trying to say them. When the man, known by his nickname, Pancho, tries to speak, electrodes implanted in his brain transmit signals to a computer that displays them on the screen.

His first recognizable sentence, researchers said, was, “My family is outside.”
Here's a video of him using thoughts to make words.

Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Wearable brain machine interface turns intentions into actions
Researchers combined wireless soft scalp electronics and virtual reality in a BMI system that allows the user to imagine an action and wirelessly control a wheelchair or robotic arm
A new wearable brain-machine interface (BMI) system could improve the quality of life for people with motor dysfunction or paralysis, even those struggling with locked-in syndrome—when a person is fully conscious but unable to move or communicate.

A multi-institutional, international team of researchers led by the lab of Woon-Hong Yeo at the Georgia Institute of Technology combined wireless soft scalp electronics and virtual reality in a BMI system that allows the user to imagine an action and wirelessly control a wheelchair or robotic arm.

The team, which included researchers from the University of Kent (United Kingdom) and Yonsei University (Republic of Korea), describes the new motor imagery-based BMI system this month in the journal Advanced Science.

"The major advantage of this system to the user, compared to what currently exists, is that it is soft and comfortable to wear, and doesn't have any wires," said Yeo, associate professor on the George W. Woodruff School of Mechanical Engineering.

BMI systems are a rehabilitation technology that analyzes a person's brain signals and translates that neural activity into commands, turning intentions into actions. The most common non-invasive method for acquiring those signals is ElectroEncephaloGraphy, EEG, which typically requires a cumbersome electrode skull cap and a tangled web of wires.

These devices generally rely heavily on gels and pastes to help maintain skin contact, require extensive set-up times, are generally inconvenient and uncomfortable to use. The devices also often suffer from poor signal acquisition due to material degradation or motion artifacts—the ancillary "noise" which may be caused by something like teeth grinding or eye blinking. This noise shows up in brain-data and must be filtered out.

The portable EEG system Yeo designed, integrating imperceptible microneedle electrodes with soft wireless circuits, offers improved signal acquisition. Accurately measuring those brain signals is critical to determining what actions a user wants to perform, so the team integrated a powerful machine learning algorithm and virtual reality component to address that challenge.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Anticipating Arrival of the Kernel Flow Device
The Boston University Neurophotonics Center is excited to be one of the phase 1 partners with Kernel to receive a new cutting edge time domain functional near infrared spectroscopy system that Kernel calls the Flow system, as was announced by Kernel on Dec 2, 2020 here.

The capabilities of this Flow system were revealed in detail during a live stream event on Oct 27, 2020 that is summarized and archived here. I had the opportunity during this event to go through a tear down of the system with the Flow product lead Ryan Field at Kernel that you can view here.

The pandemic has caused supply chain disruptions in all sectors, as we are all well aware. As a result, we had to wait a little longer to get our Flow system. In anticipation of the upcoming delivery of the first Flow systems, Bloomberg Businessweek published on June 16, 2021 an article about Kernel with the tantalizing title “Can a $110 Million Helmet Unlock the Secrets of the Mind?”. Written by Ashlee Vance, this article provides an inside look into what motivated the Kernel Founder Bryan Johnson to develop the Flow system and its closely related Flux system, a wearable magneto-encephalography system for measuring magnetic fluxes resulting from brain activity. This was also discussed a few days later on the Bloomberg radio show Bay State Business coming out of Boston on June 18, 2021.

Now, one month later, we have been told that we will receive our Kernel Flow system next Tuesday. Stay tuned for more as we learn firsthand about the capabilities of this new time domain fNIRS system.
[From David Boas's lab at Boston University. Boas is like one of the leading light, old ascended-masters of FNIRS technology.]