BCIs & Neurotechnology News and Discussions

wjfox
Site Admin

BCIs & Neurotechnology News and Discussions

Post by wjfox »

BCI decodes neural signals for handwriting

17th May 2021

Researchers at Howard Hughes Medical Institute have, for the first time, decoded neural signals associated with writing letters, then displayed typed versions of these letters in real time. They hope their invention could one day help people with paralysis communicate.

[...]

In this study, the participant managed to type at 90 characters per minute – more than double the previous record (40) for a brain-computer interface (BCI).

Read more: https://www.futuretimeline.net/blog/202 ... riting.htm

Yuli Ban

Re: BCIs & Neurotechnology News and Discussions

Post by Yuli Ban »

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Here are the timestamps.

1:13 - Kernel Flow demo
10:25 - The future of brain-computer interfaces
43:54 - Existential risk
49:33 - Overcoming depression
1:04:52 - Zeroth principles thinking
1:13:05 - Engineering consciousness
1:19:19 - Privacy
1:23:48 - Neuralink
1:33:27 - Braintree and Venmo
1:49:10 - Eating one meal a day
1:55:22 - Sleep
2:15:04 - Climbing Mount Kilimanjaro
2:22:02 - Advice for young people
2:26:38 - Meaning of life

You know, I'm curious as to if Kernel has gotten access to GPT-3 and, if so, have they been able to train it on neural data.
And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Gabe Newell says brain-computer interface tech will allow video games far beyond what human 'meat peripherals' can comprehend
The head of US gaming company Valve Corporation says a future is fast approaching where video games will use data from people's brain signals to adjust the experience they get — and even a future where people's minds can be adjusted by computers.
Gabe Newell spoke to 1 NEWS about the future of brain computer interfaces (BCIs) — an area he and other Valve staff have studied for several years now — and talked about how Valve is working to put BCIs to use in the gaming sector.

Newell admits some of the ideas may seem incredible, and said some of the discussions he's having around BCIs are "indistinguishable from science fiction" — but according to him, game developers would be making a mistake by not investigating BCIs within the short-term future.

To help them to do that, Newell said Valve is currently working on an open-source BCI software project, allowing developers to begin to interpret the signals being read from people's brains using hardware like modified VR (virtual reality) helmets.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Brain-Computer Interface Smashes Previous Record for Typing Speed
Imagining "writing-by-hand" is faster than imagining moving a cursor in new BCI system
The ancient art of handwriting has just pushed the field of brain-computer interface (BCI) to the next level. Researchers have devised a system that allows a person to communicate directly with a computer from his brain by imagining creating handwritten messages. The approach enables communication at a rate more than twice as fast as previous typing-by-brain experiments.

Researchers at Stanford University performed the study on a 65-year-old man with a spinal cord injury who had had an electrode array implanted in his brain. The scientists described the experiment recently in the journal Nature.

“The big news from this paper is the very high speed,” says Cynthia Chestek, a biomedical engineer at the University of Michigan, who was not involved in the study. “It’s at least half way to able-bodied typing speed, and that’s why this paper is in Nature.”

For years, researchers have been experimenting with ways to enable people to directly communicate with computers using only their thoughts, without verbal commands, hand movement, or eye movement. This kind of technology offers a life-giving communication method for people who are “locked in” from brainstem stroke or disease, and unable to speak.

Successful BCI typing-by-brain approaches so far typically involve a person imagining moving a cursor around a digital keyboard to select letters. Meanwhile, electrodes record brain activity, and machine learning algorithms decipher the patterns associated with those thoughts, translating them into the typed words. The fastest of these previous typing-by-brain experiments allowed people to type about 40 characters, or 8 words, per minute.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Can a $110 Million Helmet Unlock the Secrets of the Mind?
Over the next few weeks, a company called Kernel will begin sending dozens of customers across the U.S. a $50,000 helmet that can, crudely speaking, read their mind. Weighing a couple of pounds each, the helmets contain nests of sensors and other electronics that measure and analyze a brain’s electrical impulses and blood flow at the speed of thought, providing a window into how the organ responds to the world. The basic technology has been around for years, but it’s usually found in room-size machines that can cost millions of dollars and require patients to sit still in a clinical setting.

The promise of a leagues-more-affordable technology that anyone can wear and walk around with is, well, mind-bending. Excited researchers anticipate using the helmets to gain insight into brain aging, mental disorders, concussions, strokes, and the mechanics behind previously metaphysical experiences such as meditation and psychedelic trips. “To make progress on all the fronts that we need to as a society, we have to bring the brain online,” says Bryan Johnson, who’s spent more than five years and raised about $110 million—half of it his own money—to develop the helmets.
Johnson with one of his helmets in a lab at Kernel’s offices. PHOTOGRAPHER: DAMIEN MALONEY FOR BLOOMBERG BUSINESSWEEK