BCIs & Neurotechnology News and Discussions

Yuli Ban

Re: BCIs & Neurotechnology News and Discussions

Post by Yuli Ban »

A completely paralysed man, who was left unable to communicate for months after losing the ability to even move his eyes, has used a brain implant to ask his caregivers for a beer.

Composing sentences at a rate of just one character per minute, the man also asked to listen to the band Tool “loud”, requested a head massage from his mother, and ordered a curry – all through the power of thought.

The man, who is now 36, had two square electrode arrays surgically implanted into his brain to facilitate communication in March 2019 after being left in a locked-in state as a result of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS).
And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

Decoding movement and speech from the brain of a tetraplegic person
https://medicalxpress.com/news/2022-04- ... legic.html
by Lori Dajose, California Institute of Technology
New research identifies a brain region where both imagined hand grasps and spoken words can be decoded, indicating a promising candidate region for brain implants for neuroprosthetic applications.

Every year, the lives of hundreds of thousands of people are severely disrupted when they lose the ability to move or speak as a result of spinal injury, stroke, or neurological diseases. At Caltech, neuroscientists in the laboratory of Richard Andersen, James G. Boswell Professor of Neuroscience, and Leadership Chair and Director of the Tianqiao & Chrissy Chen Brain-Machine Interface Center, are studying how the brain encodes movements and speech, in order to potentially restore these functions to those individuals who have lost them.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Kernel: Light speed towards accessible brain imaging
Flow® images the brain activity through variations in blood oxygenation in the cortical areas of the brain, a paradigm of brain activity measurement similar to fMRI. The time-domain functional near-infrared spectroscopy (TD-fNIRS) method selected by Kernel provides the benefits of higher signal-to-noise ratio and allows faster data rate than a current continuous imaging approach. This technology was a great fit to Ryan’s skillset.
“I took everything I learned: from my PhD, my work with LIDAR, how to build chips, electronic systems and applying signal processing. We took this learning and built an ASIC (Application Specific Integrated Circuit), it’s the 3rd iteration of this chip that you see in Kernel Flow today”

With Ryan at the helm of Flow, the team quickly achieved some exciting firsts: the first time the custom chip was fired up on the bench, the first human signals being read by their sensor, the first full helmet multi sensor array and the first commercial launch of the headset device this January. Getting this general purpose and high-quality platform into the hands of users is one of the key steps to achieving Kernel’s mission.
And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

Wireless neurostimulator to revolutionize patient care
https://medicalxpress.com/news/2022-04- ... tient.html
by University of Queensland

Many neurological disorders like Parkinson's, chronic depression and other psychiatric conditions could be managed at home, thanks to a collaborative project involving researchers at the University of Queensland (UQ).

Queensland Brain Institute (QBI) Professor Peter Silburn AM said his team, together with Neurosciences Queensland and Abbott Neuromodulation have developed a remote care platform that allows patients to access treatment from anywhere in the world. More details about this development are published in Scientific Reports.

"By creating the world's first integrated and completely wireless remote care platform, we have removed the need for patients to see their doctor in person to have their device adjusted," Professor Silburn said.

Electrodes are surgically inserted into the brain and electrical stimulation is delivered by a pacemaker which alters brain function—providing therapeutic relief and improving quality of life. This digital platform allows clinicians to monitor patients remotely, as well as adjust the device to treat and alleviate symptoms in real time.

"We have shown that it is possible to minimize disruption to patients' and caregivers' lifestyles by increasing accessibility to the service, saving time and money," Professor Silburn said.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Nanotechandmorefuture

Post by Nanotechandmorefuture »

Yuli Ban wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:25 pm
This is a step towards Full Immersion Virtual Reality headsets as predicted on the Future Timeline. The external option is nice and of course if anyone wants to there is always the internal actual brain chip. Gaming will never be the same! :D
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

I'm far more interested in the applications for texting by thinking. Machine learning-enhanced EEG isn't quite as good as MEG, fNIRS, or direct brain stimulation, but it's certainly superior to traditional EEG products. This could feasibly establish texting-by-thinking as doable in an early form. Probably not very fast, but I can imagine it's something someone will try.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Vakanai

Post by Vakanai »

Nanotechandmorefuture wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:17 pm
Yuli Ban wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:25 pm
This is a step towards Full Immersion Virtual Reality headsets as predicted on the Future Timeline. The external option is nice and of course if anyone wants to there is always the internal actual brain chip. Gaming will never be the same! :D
I don't really care about full immersion vr much myself. My interest in it is more in the real world rather than virtual. Controlling my smart tv with a thought, turning on a lamp just by thinking about it, adjusting the volume on a speaker with my mind, this technology would basically transform the smart home into something near godly - technokinesis (albeit very limited). Truly next level.

Although the company was recently bought by Snap.
https://techcrunch.com/2022/03/23/snap- ... -nextmind/

I don't know if this development is ultimately good news or bad news for our VR and/or smart home controlled by thought dreams, but I do know that it means there's not going to be a commercial version of this in our near future. So close and yet so far. Well, I finally bought some Amazon Alexas recently, so I guess controlling my limited domain by voice will have to suffice for now. But here's hoping that Snap's next Spectacles still allow for some of what NextMind was promising.