UK News and Discussions

Time_Traveller

Re: UK News and Discussions

Post by Time_Traveller »

Queen to break tradition by appointing next prime minister at Balmoral
Wednesday 31 August 2022 15:53, UK

The Queen will receive the new prime minister at her Balmoral estate in Scotland for the first time in her long reign.

Her Majesty will meet either Liz Truss or Rishi Sunak on 6 September, a day after one of them is announced as the winner in the race for 10 Downing Street.

She would normally appoint prime ministers from Buckingham Palace or Windsor Castle.

However, the 96-year-old monarch has been advised to remain at her Balmoral residence in Aberdeenshire, where she is enjoying her summer holiday.

Whoever wins, they will become the 15th British prime minister appointed by the Queen, who first confirmed Sir Winston Churchill into office in 1951.
https://news.sky.com/story/queen-to-rec ... n-12685870
"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams."

-H.G Wells.
Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

Rail strike: More strikes ahead as TSSA and Aslef unions announce industrial action
Wednesday 31 August 2022 17:01, UK

There is more chaos ahead for rail passengers with two further strikes announced in September.

Earlier this week it was announced that TSSA union members at nine train companies will take part in a 24-hour strike starting at midday on 26 September.

On Wednesday it was confirmed by union Aslef that train drivers at 12 rail companies will strike on 15 September.

Mick Whelan, general secretary of Aslef, said: "We regret that, once again, passengers are going to be inconvenienced, because we don't want to go on strike - withdrawing our labour, although a fundamental human right, is always a last resort for a trade union - but the train companies have forced our hand.

"They want train drivers to take a real-terms pay cut - to work just as hard this year as last, but for 10% less.
https://news.sky.com/story/rail-strike- ... s-12685829
"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams."

-H.G Wells.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Opening credits for HIGNFY from nearly 10 years ago.

Even back then, we knew that Europe was dangerously reliant on Russia. It seems crazy in retrospect that it's taken this long to finally do something about it.

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

I think Truss will be so unpopular and inept, a vote of no confidence will be held very early in her term (assuming she defeats Sunak tomorrow, which seems almost certain). Johnson will then be brought back, and the Conservatives will suffer a crushing defeat at the next General Election in 2024 or early '25.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

:lol:

Joe Lycett praised for trolling 'complicit' Laura Kuenssberg on debut of her new show

Comedian Joe Lycett has been widely praised for 'trolling' Laura Kunessberg on her new BBC politics show on Sunday morning, by pretending to be 'right-wing.'

The 34-year-old funny man, who has been openly critical of the Tory government in the past decided to switch things up a bit on Sunday and rather than take another shot at the Tories, instead decided to side with him and praise Tory leadership front-runner Liz Truss, who had been interviewed earlier in the episode.

When asked for his thoughts on what Truss had to say about solving the cost of living crisis Lycett said: "You said earlier I’m not left or right. I know there's been criticism in the Mail on Sunday today about leftie liberal wokie comedians on the BBC. I’m actually very right wing and I love it. I thought she gave great clear answers. I know exactly what she's up to."

A clearly annoyed Kunessberg tried to stop Lycett and asked him to try and be serious. "It’s a serious point, Joe. Forgive me. It’s a serious point," said the 46-year-old host. He protested his innocence by saying "I'm not being sarcastic."

https://www.indy100.com/celebrities/joe ... ssberg-bbc

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

wjfox wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:16 am I think Truss will be so unpopular and inept, a vote of no confidence will be held very early in her term (assuming she defeats Sunak tomorrow, which seems almost certain). Johnson will then be brought back, and the Conservatives will suffer a crushing defeat at the next General Election in 2024 or early '25.
I read somewhere that she wouldn't last until next year, they are planning on getting rid of her by Christmas.

-H.G Wells.