Post by wjfox »

wjfox
Site Admin

Re: UK News and Discussions

Post by wjfox »

Cyber_Rebel

Post by Cyber_Rebel »

Justin Trudeau had to run away and hide today becase a truckers protest came to Ottowa.
While I understand the point of what they're saying, let's not use misinformation in order to hold governments accountable. PM Trudeau is isolating due to one of his children allegedly coming down with Covid, not hiding from protestors. Same goes for "pro-life" protestors or those who 'advocate" for taking away the rights and choices of others yet turn around and want the same when it comes to themselves.

To my understanding, PM Boris Johnson did the complete opposite of PM Trudeau, and hypocritically held himself above/endangered others while the latter always held himself accountable. The UK has my support in ousting Johnson, but I would think they'd prefer someone like Trudeau who at least treats the pandemic pretty seriously, no?

Other than that part, I mostly agree with the redditor.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Latest from this ongoing shitshow.

Today the initial findings of Sue Gray's report were published. We'll know more if/when the police complete their investigation.

Ian Blackford is leader of the Scottish National Party (SNP), for those who don't know. Parliamentary rules state that you can't call somebody a liar in the Commons. Even though, in this case, what Blackford's saying is true!

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... licy-chief

What Munira Mirza said in her letter resigning as Boris Johnson’s policy chief

Thu 3 Feb 2022 17.42 GMT

Dear Prime Minister,

It is with great regret that I am writing to resign as your Head of Policy.

You are aware of the reason for my decision: I believe it was wrong for you to imply this week that Keir Starmer was personally responsible for allowing Jimmy Savile to escape justice. There was no fair or reasonable basis for that assertion. This was not the normal cut-and-thrust of politics; it was an inappropriate and partisan reference to a horrendous case of child sex abuse. You tried to clarify your position today but, despite my urging, you did not apologise for the misleading impression you gave.

I have served you for fourteen years and it has been a privilege to do so. You have achieved many important things both as Prime Minister and, before that, as Mayor of London. You are a man of extraordinary abilities with a unique talent for connecting with people.

You are a better man than many of your detractors will ever understand which is why it is desperately sad that you let yourself down by making a scurrilous accusation against the Leader of the Opposition.

Even now, I hope you find it in yourself to apologise for a grave error of judgement made under huge pressure. I appreciate that our political culture is not forgiving when people say sorry, but regardless, it is the right thing to do. It is not too late for you but, I’m sorry to say, it is too late for me.

Yours sincerely,

Munira

Munira Mirza worked with Boris Johnson for 14 years including while he was mayor of London. Photograph: Yui Mok/PA
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

Partygate': Johnson's removal is now inevitable, warns loyalist
Source: The Guardian

Boris Johnson’s desperate efforts to save his premiership were undermined on Saturday as one of his most loyal backbench supporters said it was now “inevitable” that Tory MPs would remove him from office over the “partygate” scandal.

In an interview with the Observer, Sir Charles Walker, a former vice-chairman of the 1922 Committee of backbench Conservative MPs, implored the prime minister to go of his own accord in the national interest, and likened events in the Tory party to a Greek tragedy.

“It is an inevitable tragedy,” Walker said. “He is a student of Greek and Roman tragedy. It is going to end in him going, so I just want him to have some agency in that.”

Walker, who announced at the start of the month that he was stepping down as an MP, said that in his view Johnson had got many things right, including the handling of the vaccine rollout, and deserved to be remembered for them, rather than suffer the indignity of losing a leadership challenge.
Read more: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... s-loyalist

Well, I don't think that partying should result in lost of career and office. It is time to get back to normal.