UK News and Discussions

wjfox
Site Admin

Re: UK News and Discussions

Post by wjfox »

Tadasuke wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:43 am It's a huge problem! I think the only real solution is an anti-fat pill that Kurzweil was prophecising back in the 1990s. I see more and more overweight people. They are unfortunately unable to control themselves. A real shame, only science can save us. Being obese is also more taxing on environment. It's bad through and through.
There are solutions that don't involve miraculous technologies though. There are tons of things the government could be doing, but isn't. It's a complex issue and I don't think it's quite as simple as people being unable to control themselves.
Lorem Ipsum

Post by Lorem Ipsum »

wjfox wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 1:14 pm How the hell has Britain, supposedly one of the world's richest countries, got to this state in the 21st century??????
Well they were the largest empire in history
Vakanai

Post by Vakanai »

Tadasuke wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:43 am It's a huge problem!
wjfox wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:37 pm There are tons of things
Lorem Ipsum wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:13 pm Well they were the largest
I mean, I like puns too but really...(And if that wasn't intentional it damn well is a heck of a coincidence.)
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

@PaulBrandITV

BREAKING: Tory rebels expect Sir Graham Brady to make a statement this morning announcing that there will be a vote of no confidence in Boris Johnson.

Only Brady knows the exact details, but this is as certain as anyone has sounded that a vote is on
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

weatheriscool wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:04 am @PaulBrandITV

BREAKING: Tory rebels expect Sir Graham Brady to make a statement this morning announcing that there will be a vote of no confidence in Boris Johnson.

Only Brady knows the exact details, but this is as certain as anyone has sounded that a vote is on

It's been rumoured for several days now. Looks like it's really happening then.

I'm in two minds about this. On the one hand, Johnson is – by far – the worst, most corrupt, dishonest, incompetent, hard-right sociopathic fiend to ever hold office in the UK. He is the man most responsible for Brexit, our bungled response to Covid that killed 150,000, and the general malaise that has turned this country into a crushing dystopia.

On the other hand, him being in office is the best possible thing for Labour's chances in the next election.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Anyway, I predict he'll survive this vote.
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

Boris Johnson's anti-corruption tsar resigns over partygate and will vote for PM to go
Source: Sky News

The prime minister's anti-corruption tsar has resigned over Boris Johnson's response to the Sue Gray report into partygate - and will vote for him to go tonight. John Penrose sent his resignation letter to the PM just hours after it was announced a confidence vote in Mr Johnson's leadership will take place between 6pm and 8pm today.

The MP for Weston-super-Mare has been the UK's anti-corruption champion at the Home Office since 2017 but said he could no longer be in his post as Mr Johnson had not addressed the "failures of leadership and judgment" Ms Gray said had taken place over lockdown-breaking parties in Downing Street.

He said Mr Johnson has therefore breached "a fundamental principle of the Ministerial Code - a clear resigning matter" but said the PM's letter to Lord Geidt, the PM's independent adviser on the code, "ignores this absolutely central, non-negotiable issue completely". Mr Penrose confirmed to Sky News he will be voting against the PM this evening and said this is "the beginning of the end". "I think it's over [for the PM], it feels like it's when not if," he told Sky News.
Read more: https://news.sky.com/story/boris-johnso ... o-12628772
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

Boris Johnson vote live: Voting on PM's future under way
Source: Sky News

It's 6pm and Conservative MPs are now able to vote on whether they have confidence in Boris Johnson's leadership or not.

The PM's backbench MPs have two hours to vote, with the secret ballot closing at 8pm this evening.

The result is expected around an hour after voting has closed.

For the prime minister to be ousted, half of Tory MPs plus one would need to vote against him, which is currently 180 MPs
Read more: https://news.sky.com/story/boris-johnso ... y-12593360
Cyber_Rebel

Post by Cyber_Rebel »