UK News and Discussions

Time_Traveller

Re: UK News and Discussions

Post by Time_Traveller »

wjfox wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:43 pm Get out of this country while you can. It's a sinking ship.

-----

NHS staff shortages in England could exceed 570,000 by 2036, leaked document warns

Sun 26 Mar 2023 19.56 BST

The NHS in England needs a massive injection of homegrown doctors, nurses, GPs and dentists to avert a recruitment crisis that could leave it short of 571,000 staff, according to an internal document seen by the Guardian.

A long-awaited workforce plan produced by NHS England says the health service is already operating with 154,000 fewer full-time staff than it needs, and that number could balloon to 571,000 staff by 2036 on current trends.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... tudy-finds
They need an intake of 570,000 people trained for the NHS then.
"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams."

-H.G Wells.
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

Humza Yousaf elected leader of Scottish National party
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... SApp_Other
Greens confirm they will back Yousaf as first minister but former health secretary faces battle to unite SNP

Humza Yousaf: continuity candidate taking over as Scottish first minister

First published on Mon 27 Mar 2023 09.11 EDT

Humza Yousaf has been elected the first minority ethnic leader of the Scottish National party, in a narrow victory which will force him to confront deep divisions within his party.

He is almost certain to be confirmed as Scotland’s next first minister after the Scottish Greens said they would back his nomination on Tuesday, but he faces a significant internal challenge bringing the SNP’s warring wings together.
Cyber_Rebel

Post by Cyber_Rebel »

ChatGB: Tony Blair backs push for taxpayer-funded ‘sovereign AI’ to rival ChatGPT
Tech chiefs and former PM warn the UK risks being ‘left behind’ without action

The Telegraph
Britain should build a “sovereign” artificial intelligence (AI) bot to fix problems in the NHS and Whitehall or risk being dependent on overseas tech giants, ministers have been told.

The Government is being urged by scientific advisors to develop a taxpayer-funded system to rival the likes of ChatGPT, amid predictions from experts that AI will play an increasingly important role in modern life.

The Alan Turing Institute, Britain’s national AI agency, has been lobbying for state funding to develop a “sovereign” system that could be used in the NHS, in Whitehall and by intelligence services.

Former Prime Minister Sir Tony Blair and members of the Government’s Artificial Intelligence Council also backed the push for a British system, warning that the UK risked being “left behind” without action.

Woah. State funded A.I.? :shock: Now it really does feel like I'm living in a different, more futuristic reality.
ººº

Post by ººº »

AIxit
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

Cyber_Rebel wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:36 pm ChatGB: Tony Blair backs push for taxpayer-funded ‘sovereign AI’ to rival ChatGPT
Tech chiefs and former PM warn the UK risks being ‘left behind’ without action

The Telegraph
Britain should build a “sovereign” artificial intelligence (AI) bot to fix problems in the NHS and Whitehall or risk being dependent on overseas tech giants, ministers have been told.

The Government is being urged by scientific advisors to develop a taxpayer-funded system to rival the likes of ChatGPT, amid predictions from experts that AI will play an increasingly important role in modern life.

The Alan Turing Institute, Britain’s national AI agency, has been lobbying for state funding to develop a “sovereign” system that could be used in the NHS, in Whitehall and by intelligence services.

Former Prime Minister Sir Tony Blair and members of the Government’s Artificial Intelligence Council also backed the push for a British system, warning that the UK risked being “left behind” without action.

Woah. State funded A.I.? :shock: Now it really does feel like I'm living in a different, more futuristic reality.
Fucking awesome. I hope the UK makes it able to cure cancer and super human.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

UK now adopting same tactics as the GOP.

This is voter suppression, plain and simple.

Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

wjfox wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:26 am UK now adopting same tactics as the GOP.

This is voter suppression, plain and simple.

This is why i prefer postal voting as you don't need any of these to vote.
"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams."

-H.G Wells.
lechwall

Post by lechwall »

wjfox wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:43 pm Get out of this country while you can. It's a sinking ship.

-----

NHS staff shortages in England could exceed 570,000 by 2036, leaked document warns

Sun 26 Mar 2023 19.56 BST

The NHS in England needs a massive injection of homegrown doctors, nurses, GPs and dentists to avert a recruitment crisis that could leave it short of 571,000 staff, according to an internal document seen by the Guardian.

A long-awaited workforce plan produced by NHS England says the health service is already operating with 154,000 fewer full-time staff than it needs, and that number could balloon to 571,000 staff by 2036 on current trends.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... tudy-finds
Where are you thinking of moving to?
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

lechwall wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:01 am
For various reasons (mainly job and family-related), I doubt I can move anytime soon, but I encourage others to do so, if they're able to. If I didn't have commitments here I'd probably move to New Zealand or Canada.

I'm sure Labour will win the next election. But I don't think they'll make a big enough difference to turn this country around, mainly due to Starmer being forced to pander to Lexiters/Boomers.

And if Labour win by a huge amount, they won't have the incentive to introduce proportional representation. The very thing that would actually kill off the Tories for the next 50+ years.

So we'll be stuck with a US-style political system, the Overton window becoming ever narrower, no chance of Brexit being reversed, and the UK continuing down this path of misery and stagnation.
lechwall

Post by lechwall »

wjfox wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:27 am
lechwall wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:01 am
For various reasons (mainly job and family-related), I doubt I can move anytime soon, but I encourage others to do so, if they're able to. If I didn't have commitments here I'd probably move to New Zealand or Canada.

I'm sure Labour will win the next election. But I don't think they'll make a big enough difference to turn this country around, mainly due to Starmer being forced to pander to Lexiters/Boomers.

And if Labour win by a huge amount, they won't have the incentive to introduce proportional representation. The very thing that would actually kill off the Tories for the next 50+ years.

So we'll be stuck with a US-style political system, the Overton window becoming ever narrower, no chance of Brexit being reversed, and the UK continuing down this path of misery and stagnation.
It might be hard to believe Will but Canada and New Zealand actually have a worse housing crisis than the UK when you compare average earnings in each country to house prices in each country. Guess I'm stuck in the UK as well for the forseeable future.

The UK's index score in the third quarter of 2022 amounted to 123.2, which means that house price growth has outpaced income growth by 23 percent since 2015.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/591 ... ce%202015.

New Zealand has one of the highest house price-to-income ratios in the world. In the third quarter of 2022, the ratio was 131.4, a decrease from the same quarter of the previous year.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/102 ... us%20year.

Canada's index score in the third quarter of 2022 amounted to 143.5, which means that house price growth has outpaced income growth by almost 50 percent since 2015.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/591 ... t%20years.