UK News and Discussions

Time_Traveller

Re: UK News and Discussions

Post by Time_Traveller »

wjfox wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:32 pm Queen's lying-in-state: How long is the queue?

3 hours ago

The queue is about five miles long, stretching to Southwark Park and is currently at capacity. It has now been paused for at least six hours and government has advised people not to attempt to join it until it re-opens.

For those already in the queue, the estimated wait time is about 14 hours.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-62872323

If i were living in London, i would stay away from the area until after the funeral.
"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams."

-H.G Wells.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

wjfox wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:07 am
So, you are not allowed to touch a coffin now. What will people get arrested for next?
"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams."

-H.G Wells.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

I'm glad he was arrested. Nobody should be allowed to mess with such an important, national, public ceremony, which hundreds of thousands are taking part in and which millions of others are closely following. Westminster Hall should be kept dignified and incident-free.

Besides, it's also a family that is grieving. I don't particularly love the Royals, but they've lost a loved one – and I believe they deserve to be treated with at least some respect on a human level. I wouldn't be happy if some random nutter tried to spoil the funeral proceedings for one of my family members. It's just really crass.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

Bank of England hikes by 50 basis points, says UK may already be in recession

Source: CNBC

LONDON — The Bank of England voted to raise its base rate to 2.25% from 1.75% on Thursday, lower than the 0.75 percentage point increase that had been expected by many traders. Inflation in the U.K. dipped slightly in August but at 9.9% year-on-year remained well above the bank’s 2% target. Energy and food have seen the biggest price rises, but core inflation, which strips out those components, is still at 6.3% on an annual basis.

The BOE now expects inflation to peak at just under 11% in October, down from a previous forecast of 13%. The smaller-than-expected hike came as the bank said it believed the U.K. economy was already in a recession, as it forecast GDP would contract by 0.1% in the third quarter, down from a previous forecast of 0.4% growth. It would follow a 0.1% decline in the second quarter.

Numerous analysts, along with business association the British Chambers of Commerce, have previously said they expect the U.K. to enter a recession before the end of the year. As well as energy price shocks, it faces trade bottlenecks due to Covid-19 and Brexit, declining consumer sentiment, and falling retail sales.

The BOE dropped its key rate, known as the bank rate, down to 0.1% in March 2020 in an attempt to prop up growth and spending at the onset of the coronavirus pandemic. However, as inflation began to rise sharply late last year, it was among the first major central banks to kick off a hiking cycle at its December meeting.
Read more: https://www.cnbc.com/2022/09/22/bank-of ... -hike.html
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

wjfox
Site Admin