Time_Traveller

Re: UK News and Discussions

Post by Time_Traveller »

wjfox wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:33 pm
Time_Traveller wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:06 pm
Hmm, how left-wing is Mordaunt?
https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/24938 ... orth/votes
Not much by that.
"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams."

-H.G Wells.
Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

Braverman out of Tory leadership race as Mordaunt pulls away from Truss
Thu 14 Jul 2022 16.10 BST

Penny Mordaunt was handed another key boost in the race to make the final two of the Conservative leadership race, with votes putting her in pole position to take on the frontrunner, Rishi Sunak, and the outsider Suella Braverman being eliminated.

Sunak, the former chancellor, is still the frontrunner and added 13 new supporters but Mordaunt pulled away from the foreign secretary, Liz Truss, who added fewer MPs to her tally despite a high-profile launch on Thursday.

Kemi Badenoch, the former equalities minister, and Tom Tugendhat also made it through the latest round, though Tugendhat lost five supporters. Tugendhat, the chair of the foreign affairs select committee, said he would continue his campaign and take part in the televised debates starting on Friday.

Braverman departed the race after getting 27, five fewer than in the last round. Tugendhat’s 32 tally was also five fewer than his previous round. Badenoch got 49 votes, Truss 64, Mordaunt 83, and Sunak 101. There will be final rounds of voting next week to narrow the choice to two candidates. The Conservative party members will then decide.

Mark Harper, the former chief whip who is backing Sunak, said the former chancellor was shaping the debate after a call for an end to “fairy tales” about the economy. “I’m very please he hasn’t [committed to tax cuts],” he said. “Some people are promising also massive increases in public spending as well, you have to say how you are going to pay for it.”
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -of-voting
"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams."

-H.G Wells.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

From what I've seen in the last couple of days, I think Liz Truss can be ruled out. Badenoch too.

Tugendhat seems a little more honest and genuine than the rest, but I doubt he can build the support he needs.

So it's really between Sunak and Mordaunt. I think Sunak might just edge it.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Tugendhat was eliminated from the leadership contest this evening – which leaves Sunak, Mordaunt, Truss, and Badenoch.

I think Truss has a sub-median IQ and would be even worse than Johnson, in some ways... her becoming PM would continue the trend of ever-increasing stupidity that seems to keep happening in the UK and elsewhere.

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Badenoch is out.

I'm relieved. She wanted to scrap the Net Zero target – a policy announced even as we're living through a 40 degree inferno.

Some transphobic views too.

Nasty woman and clearly unfit for office.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Daily Fail:

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Mordaunt is out.

That just leaves Sunak and... (omg) ... Truss.

Maybe it's better this way. The Tories will further implode with a dunce like Truss at the helm, paving the way for a bigger Labour win in '24.