UK News and Discussions

Time_Traveller

Re: UK News and Discussions

Post by Time_Traveller »

wjfox wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 7:08 am
I 100% agree, there needs to be a conversation on both side of the monarchy spectrum. The monarchy is rather out of date with todays society and needs to be improved or got rid off, so we'll end up with a President like in the US, France etc.
"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams."

-H.G Wells.
Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams."

-H.G Wells.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

-H.G Wells.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

wjfox wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:23 am
I think day by day, Labour is turning into the red Tories.

-H.G Wells.
erowind

Post by erowind »

Time_Traveller wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:33 am
I'm not British but I remember years ago being upset over the coup that Starmarites pulled in the party. Now it's not just Corbyn's faction that's been ousted but in effect any other faction of the labor party at all. The party line that's left is just bog standard liberalism at this point. Starmer initially promised social democratic policies in order to deceive people to garner support and I'm convinced his administration won't deliver on most of them.

The argument that "The British public wasn't ready for a labor as far left as Corbyn's platform" never made sense to me. The British electorate is bombarded with conservative propaganda constantly and it wouldn't have mattered if the most professional centrist were running in the last elections or not. Labour would have still lost due to the brexit momentum the Tories were carrying at the time. And now that people have so fervently supported Starmer, who leftists within the party were sounding alarms about from the beginning, what Labour has left to offer the UK when it is elected by landslide is at best a middling platform that only delays major problems and doesn't work to fix them. And a Corbyn platform would win by similar landslide too due to how awfully the Tories have managed.

I can only hope that as economic conditions worsen and confidence is gradually lost in Labour the British people will turn to the Green party instead of whatever right-wing party may replace the Tories.
Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

erowind wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:14 am
Time_Traveller wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:33 am
I'm not British but I remember years ago being upset over the coup that Starmarites pulled in the party. Now it's not just Corbyn's faction that's been ousted but in effect any other faction of the labor party at all. The party line that's left is just bog standard liberalism at this point. Starmer initially promised social democratic policies in order to deceive people to garner support and I'm convinced his administration won't deliver on most of them.

The argument that "The British public wasn't ready for a labor as far left as Corbyn's platform" never made sense to me. The British electorate is bombarded with conservative propaganda constantly and it wouldn't have mattered if the most professional centrist were running in the last elections or not. Labour would have still lost due to the brexit momentum the Tories were carrying at the time. And now that people have so fervently supported Starmer, who leftists within the party were sounding alarms about from the beginning, what Labour has left to offer the UK when it is elected by landslide is at best a middling platform that only delays major problems and doesn't work to fix them. And a Corbyn platform would win by similar landslide too due to how awfully the Tories have managed.

I can only hope that as economic conditions worsen and confidence is gradually lost in Labour the British people will turn to the Green party instead of whatever right-wing party may replace the Tories.
Agreed Erowind, lets hope so indeed but at the next election, the Greens have alot of work to do to gain 1,600 councils over night though. (Based on Labour's local election winnings that is)

-H.G Wells.
lechwall

Post by lechwall »

I've said for a long time Starmer will be a one term prime minister. He really is not very good at this. The only reason Labour are ahead in the polls now is because of voter fatigue with the Conservatives, as opposed to anything he's actually done.
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

I wish Mr.Fox would run for office in the UK and become prime Minister. He then could pass a bill to fund futuretimeline!!! ;)
But then pass bills funding the healthcare system, safetynet, science, and clean energy development. He would probably be very pro-LGBT and human rights. The UK would be far better off.

Please run mr.fox.