Conservatism News and Discussions

caltrek

Re: Conservatism News and Discussions

Post by caltrek »

USA Today is another one of those media outlets that I used to think of as lamestream. I will now dignify them by the label of "conservative centrist". Fox News is of course extreme right, although there are a handful of conservatives there to give the appearance of being "fair and balanced." .

Fired Fox News Host Ed Henry Sues Network, CEO for Defamation Over Sexual Misconduct Allegation
by Bill Keveney
June 30, 2021

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertai ... 821222002/

Introduction:
(USA Today) Ed Henry, who was fired last July by Fox News Channel over a sexual misconduct allegation, sued the network Wednesday and its CEO, Suzanne Scott, for defamation.

Filed in U.S. District Court in Newark, New Jersey, Henry's lawsuit seeks punitive damages and states the network's CEO "sandbagged" him with a July 1, 2020, statement saying a former employee had accused Henry of sexual misconduct a week earlier and he was being fired after the findings of an external investigation.

Henry, who co-anchored "America's Newsroom" at the time of his dismissal, says the misconduct allegations are false.

The lawsuit by Henry says Scott's statement lent "credence to the false allegations because she was trying to save her own career and burnish her image as a tough, no nonsense female executive who cleaned up Fox News.. In reality, however, Ms. Scott had long been an instrument to cover up the existence of sexual misconduct at Fox News," adding she "has repeatedly covered up sexual misconduct by senior Fox News management."

More: Fox News fined $1 million in New York City settlement of sexual harassment allegations
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

USA today is left wing and fox is right of center. ;) Sites like Breitbart and gatewaypentant are far right. ;) I do read them all ;) I think you're more balanced when you consider the angles. lol The thing is no one side has all the answers and one side could be better on one issue then the other.

This idea that one side is better at everything is what is wrong with this nation.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

lol.

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Fox to Open Weather Channel

July 6, 2021

Later this year, Rupert Murdoch is set to debut Fox Weather, a 24-hour streaming channel that promises to do for seven-day forecasts what Fox has done for American politics, financial news and sports. Not to be outdone, the Weather Channel — granddaddy of television meteorology — announced the creation of a new streaming service, Weather Channel Plus, that the company believes could reach 30 million subscribers by 2026.

https://climatecrocks.com/2021/07/06/fo ... r-channel/

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

You know, maybe it'll be a good thing if these complete morons just die off.

America's collective IQ should go up a notch or two.

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Ozzie guy

Post by Ozzie guy »

wjfox wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:45 pm You know, maybe it'll be a good thing if these complete morons just die off.

America's collective IQ should go up a notch or two.

How did getting a vaccine become political?

I guess the butterfly effect happened when people like Oprah promoted mums who blamed there children's Autism on vaccines.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Freedumb!

caltrek

Post by caltrek »

The Bulwark is considered to be a conservative news source. Here is their take on a recent Trump action:

Trump’s First Amendment Gambit Unlikely to Work
by Kimberly Wehle
July 14, 2021

https://thebulwark.com/trumps-first-ame ... y-to-work/

Introduction:
(Bulwark) Given his utter ignorance about the U.S. Constitution, it remains shocking that Donald Trump was—as recently as half a year ago!—charged with preserving, protecting, and defending it. The latest evidence of his appalling constitutional ignorance comes in the form of a series of frivolous lawsuits that reveal an embarrassingly distorted understanding of our national charter. At least this legal mess has one silver lining: It’s an opportunity for another mini-lesson in basic civics.

Last week, Trump filed class-action complaints in a Florida federal court against YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, and their respective CEOs, claiming that the private companies’ decisions to suspend his social media accounts in the wake of the January 6 insurrection violate, among other things, the First Amendment. In a press conference, Trump called his lawsuits “a very important and beautiful development for our freedom of speech.” If these companies can do this to a president, Trump added, “they can do it to anyone.”

Here’s the glaringly obvious problem: With rare exceptions, the First Amendment doesn’t bind private companies. It applies to the state. As with most of the rest of the Bill of Rights, and indeed much of the Constitution in general, the point is to limit the massive power of the government. The Framers (understood broadly to include the authors of the Bill of Rights) understood exquisitely that people with the power of government tend to abuse it and so power must be limited and checked and balanced.

Thus, when Trump was president, his actions were bound by the First Amendment because he had at his fingertips the massive power of the federal government: its criminal justice, military, and regulatory apparatuses. Companies like Google (YouTube’s parent), Twitter, and Facebook are not restrained by the First Amendment; to the contrary, they can sue executive branch officials to validate their own First Amendment rights.
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

There is also an article by a former speech writer for Republican President George W. Bush that recently appeared in The Atlantic:

By wat of introduction to that article, here is an extract from a description by Alex Henderson given in Alternet:

https://www.alternet.org/2021/07/trumpi ... servative/

Introduction:
(Alternet)Although conservative journalist David Frum has been a blistering critic of Donald Trump, he has been reluctant to use the word "fascist" to describe the former president. The words "fascist" and 'fascism," Frum has stressed in the past, should never be used casually simply to attack policies one does not like. But in an article published by The Atlantic on July 13, the Never Trump conservative lays out some disturbing reasons why Trumpism does, in fact, fit the definition of fascism.
Here are extracts from that Atlantic article:

There’s a Word for What Trumpism Is Becoming
by David Frum
July 13, 2021

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... ng/619418/

Introduction:
(Atlantic) “I became worse.” That’s how double impeachment changed him, Donald Trump told a conservative audience in Dallas last weekend, without a trace of a smile. This was not Trump the insult comic talking. This was the deepest Trump self. And this one time, he told the truth.

Something has changed for Trump and his movement since January 2021. You can measure the difference by looking back at the deadly events in Charlottesville, Virginia, in 2017. Trump made three statements about those events over four days. He was visibly reluctant to speak negatively of the far-right groups. He praised “fine people on both sides” and spread the blame for “this egregious display of hatred, bigotry, and violence on many sides.”
Conclusion:
I do not consider myself guilty. I admit all the factual aspects of the charge. But I cannot plead that I am guilty of high treason; for there can be no high treason against that treason committed in 1918.

Maybe you recognize those words. They come from Adolf Hitler’s plea of self-defense at his trial for his 1923 Munich putsch. He argued: You are not entitled to the power you hold, so I committed no crime when I tried to grab it back. You blame me for what I did; I blame you for who you are.

Trump’s no Hitler, obviously. But they share some ways of thinking. The past never repeats itself. But it offers warnings. It’s time to start using the F-word again, not to defame—but to diagnose.
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill