Canada news and discussion

Xyls

Re: Canada news and discussion

Post by Xyls »

Ont. Superior Court to consider Canada-U.S. border protest injunction today

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/ont-super ... -1.5777257

WINDSOR, ONT. -- An Ontario Superior Court justice is set to hear an application today for an injunction that would bar protesters from blocking the Ambassador Bridge border crossing in Windsor, Ont.

The Automotive Parts Manufacturers' Association applied for the injunction, and the City of Windsor was granted intervenor status.
Xyls

Post by Xyls »

BREAKING: Ontario declares state of emergency in response to convoy protests

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ ... -1.6347810

Ontario is declaring a state of emergency in response to convoy protests against public health measures meant to curb the spread of COVID-19, which have caused major disruptions in multiple areas of the province in recent weeks.

Premier Doug Ford made the announcement Friday morning while protest blockades continue to shut down parts of Ottawa's city core and portions of Windsor's Ambassador Bridge.

Meanwhile, more protests are expected at Queen's Park in downtown Toronto, forcing police to close off several roads in the surrounding area.

----

Canada is getting increasingly close to martial law. The Emergency Measures Act (formerly War Measures Act) may get used here for the first time since 1970 if the police don't get their shit together. With this declaration there is no excuse...

$100,000 fines for anyone blocking critical infrastructure and a year in jail now.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

A vote for Trump, a third party candidate, or no vote at all, is a vote for a dystopian future.
Xyls

Post by Xyls »

Let's see how much these protesters want to push their luck. I mean these are people that are deranged enough to make their children create a human chain across the bridge.

Xyls

Post by Xyls »

Meanwhile in my province idiots trying to blockade the legislature. Luckily this province is actually competent and deterred any major attempt at a blockade. Some I think realized how futile it was going to be here and I heard a few have decided to go to Ottawa for whatever the final showdown is going to be with the police there... This is a city of 100k people mind you while Ottawa is 1.4m in the greater area and couldn't properly deal with the nonsense. This is unacceptable in the capital of one of the world's most influential countries.

https://globalnews.ca/news/8609511/fred ... st-convoy/

However, my concern is mainly with what is going on in Ottawa and at Coutts in Alberta. Everything else is minor and I expect will be cleared. Ottawa has been a catastrophic security failure and there are rumors there are extremists in that group, potentially with weapons. We already know huge amounts of flammable cannisters, propane tanks and other items have been taken to that protest site (there are at least 3 different sites in the city with "restocking centers") and there may be elements here that are looking for a Waco style showdown with the government. Don't be fooled by the bouncy castle. Ottawa is under full on siege right now. Coutts is the behaviour of what appears to be a provincial government that is bowing to anti-vaxxers and endangering the rest of their population in the process...

https://theline.substack.com/p/dispatch ... ront-sloly
Cyber_Rebel

Post by Cyber_Rebel »

Am I exaggerating in saying this shit is beginning to remind me of The Troubles? It seems rather convenient that this crisis is funded by Americans, benefitting Americans, and having Americans offer a "solution" to the very problem they seem to have created/exasperated to begin with:

U.S. politician uses blockade at Canada-U.S. border to argue for Buy American

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/blockade- ... -1.6346330

U.S. offers Trudeau government help to end border blockade

White House says Homeland Security chief urged Ottawa to use its powers to quash the blockade
U.S. officials have offered to help the Trudeau government end an anti-vaccine mandate protest blockade that is sending ripple effects through the American economy and causing increasing concern in Washington.

The White House says U.S. officials had multiple conversations on Thursday with their Canadian counterparts about the blockade on the Ambassador Bridge, a major trade artery which connects Windsor, Ont. with Detroit.

The White House said Thursday the U.S. federal cabinet and senior administration staff are now seized with this issue.

"[They] have been engaged around the clock to bring this to a swift end," the White House said in response to questions from CBC News.
While some might see the above as fair for the U.S. to do considering Canada is still a major trading partner and an ally, this is way too much foreign involvement into a sovereign nation's domestic politics, and one the U.S. should've never interfered with to begin with. America is doing exactly what it often accuses Russia of doing, and it needs to stop.
Xyls

Post by Xyls »

Here's the thing though. It didn't have to get to this level if people in the Canadian government dealt with this competently. This never should've succeeded to start with if not for some very, very piss poor decisions made by the Ottawa Police Service and then inappropriately handled by other levels of government once things started getting out of hand. While I'm pissed at the American money coming across the border, I'm really only irritated that we don't have laws in place to stop that foreign funding in the first place, which again is the fault of the Canadian government. Although the government is now talking of making both crypto and crowdfunding subject to Canada's strict anti-terrorist financing legislation going forward.

Most of this fiasco is really of different levels of Canadian government's own making.There is no real risk to our country being overthrown but serious questions are going to be raised at the incompetence of Canadian political and security leadership.
Xyls

Post by Xyls »

Anyways, injunction has now hit 7:00 in Ontario and surprise the protesters are still on the fuckin' bridge. I'm not surprised though, I have a feeling the main raid on the bridge blockade by security forces is likely going to be overnight tonight or sometime tomorrow. Is it really shocking tho considering they have been emboldened and think Canada's laws are fake anyways.

Oh well, anyone who gets charged here will likely get a wonderful $100,000 fine to go with it which will bankrupt most of these people. They will also get a year jail sentence. We are going to need some upgraded jails in Canada I see. There really aren't many truckers in these protests anymore (if there ever was to begin with), but any who remain will have their commercial driver's license suspended and they will never drive again.

Light armored vehicles are being spotted around Windsor in preparation for the action on the bridge. This is considered a top national security crisis and police forces are being directed to Windsor from across the country right now. Once they deal with the bridge issue all these forces are going to be heading to Ottawa.

Xyls

Post by Xyls »

Congratulations protesters now you have destroyed support in your cause and have almost 70% of the country wanting to use military force against you to remove you, with no consideration to whether you are harmed in the process. Canadians clearly are coming to see these protesters as traitors.

Two-thirds of Canadians support military force to end Ottawa protests: poll

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2022/02/12/ ... ests-poll/

The government ain't getting away scott free either. Majority of Canadians believe leadership in this country is incompetent, especially Trudeau, who's approval numbers are tanking. Wouldn't be surprised if the Liberals look to perhaps replace him with Freeland. Most people do not view him as someone with the personality to handle a national crisis or defend the country now.

Voting intentions favour Liberals, but frustration is mounting across the country

On a positive note with this bullshit. Police are actually removing protesters from the Ambassador Bridge right now. Funny, thing too is that once some actual police enforcement occurred these protesters folded like the scared meth-mouthed trash they are...

Major questions need to be asked about why the Ottawa Police Service and municipality have failed to spectacularly during all of this...
Xyls

Post by Xyls »

Finally:

Only half a billion dollars in damage to the Canadian economy later....

HOWEVER, Ottawa is descending into further anarchy... and it appears the police are actually on their side. Sloly appears complicit in an attempt to overthrow the federal government. They are allowing reinforcements into this illegal occupation while counter-protesters are organizing across the city.