Canada news and discussion

Xyls

Re: Canada news and discussion

Post by Xyls »

Meanwhile, US right wing figures calling for an invasion of Canada. Totally normal... no big deal...

Xyls

Post by Xyls »

Fox News idiot finally recognizing their BS. This was EXTREMELY irresponsible, some of the convoy channels had people calling for violence against the police while this bullshit claim was circuclating last night.

Cyber_Rebel

Post by Cyber_Rebel »

I think there's going to be trouble whenever Trump/Trump style imperialist is re-elected, but I'd also guess this would be a scenario where the Pentagon simply wouldn't comply. As much as I may loathe them for their own interventionism, they are at least somewhat more practical than the far-right crazies you see in American media. They'd understand such an action would risk jeopardizing America's place in the world even more-so, due to Canada's historical ties with Britain (figurehead or not Queen Elizabeth is still head of state) and diplomatic status as a G7 nation.

America is not annexing its largest trading partner. Risking a large-scale regional war which would spiral in a potential world one is not happening due to crazed overpaid political pundits. Do wish they'd shut up though, as they do fuel conspiracy trash/unrest like what's currently happened.
Xyls

Post by Xyls »

Now American politicians wants to take all our antivaxxers, petty criminals, racists, meth-heads, alternative religion practitioners, and Evangelicals...

Go ahead...

R8Z

Post by R8Z »

At least 76 financial accounts frozen since Emergencies Act invoked: Mendicino
Ryan Flanagan
Published Saturday, February 19, 2022 12:08PM EST

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/at-leas ... -1.5788396
Dozens of accounts with financial services firms have been frozen under new powers granted by the Emergencies Act over the past five days, Public Safety Minister Marco Mendicino said Saturday.

Speaking at a virtual press conference that began just as police officers cleared protesters from Wellington Street in front of Parliament, Mendicino said "at least 76" accounts containing approximately $3.2 million had been frozen under the powers of the Act.

"The numbers that we have been able to provide you thus far … show very obviously how the Emergencies Act is being used to bring about the peaceful conclusion of the illegal blockades," he said.
---

They are going full-on authoritarianism with what they said... Surprising.

I honestly wasn't expecting Canadians to fight for freedom and try to push back the mandates like they did these last few weeks (given the "nice Canadians" memes we constantly see on the internet), but this reversal blow against them from the rulling elites was even more unexpected, it's seems like whoever is pulling the strings wants people to fight a civil war.

This whole thing is going to be interesting to watch when inevitably the government switches next election :shock:
And, as always, bye bye.
R8Z

Post by R8Z »

Scary stuff, this is not gonna end good.
And, as always, bye bye.
Xyls

Post by Xyls »

Haha, nothing on r/Conspiracy is reliable. Sounds like fabrication to me:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudea ... -1.6359243

Also, the vast majority of Canadians oppose the convoy so we can stop the "fighting for freedom" shit. A significant amount of that too views anyone who participated or funded this as no better than traitors.
R8Z

Post by R8Z »

Xyls wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:53 pm Haha, nothing on r/Conspiracy is reliable. Sounds like fabrication to me:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudea ... -1.6359243

Also, the vast majority of Canadians oppose the convoy so we can stop the "fighting for freedom" shit. A significant amount of that too views anyone who participated or funded this as no better than traitors.
Well, on one thing I have to agree and applaud you: it's better to be mask off authoritarian than to pretend to believe in individual freedoms like these silly politicians behave (as this isn't a very popular position with the average folk). I've seen a recent poll that denotes that they are losing support; I am not sure about its reliability so I ain't linking it here.

Anyway.. I personally hope the "traitors" are able to assemble themselves as a group and leave the country or at least split the land to live in their own region where they aren't treated as criminals for thought crimes and peacefully protesting/assembling.

:) Illustration to cheer up:

And, as always, bye bye.
Cyber_Rebel

Post by Cyber_Rebel »

@R8Z

See, the issue I feel like is one of collectivism vs individualism. I wonder, how do you feel about Japan's handling of the pandemic? I'm not sure how this may sound to some such as Xyls (or Maximus if they were still here) but culturally, I feel they have more in common with each other than with America.

It's not about authoritarianism, but about the collective wellbeing of the nation. PM Trudeau never erased the rights of Canadians to vote, but simply safeguarded them from hostile foreign influence. Funding domestic terrorism is not freedom, especially when it impacts the livelihoods of working-class citizens. Using children as meat shields is not freedom, when said children cannot even begin to understand why they are being used as political props.

Whose freedom are you fighting for? Why? Why is it important to you? These are questions which need answers.
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

Canada GDP Rose 0.2% in January

Published: March 31, 2022 at 8:30 a.m. ET

By Paul Vieira
OTTAWA--The Canadian economy grew in January despite the headwind posed by restrictions to deal with an Omicron-fueled wave of Covid-19 infections, and early data indicate a strong advance in February once authorities lifted those measures.

Canada's gross domestic product, or the broadest measure of goods and services produced in the economy, increased 0.2% in January from the previous month to 2.017 trillion Canadian dollars, or the equivalent of $1.611 trillion, Statistics Canada said Thursday. That increase matched market expectations, according to economists at TD Securities. The data agency also revised the GDP data for December, and now indicate output rose 0.1% versus the previous estimate of no gain.

Meanwhile, Statistics Canada said preliminary indicators point to a 0.8% rise in GDP for February, based on strength in the factory, commodity, hospitality and construction sectors.

The GDP results will reinforce expectations that the Bank of Canada could increase its policy rate by a half-percentage point at its next scheduled decision on April 13. A senior Bank of Canada official said last week the central bank is ready to move "forcefully" to bring inflation down from a three-decade high of 5.7% to its 2% target. Based on those comments, some forecasting firms have revised their rate outlook and now expect multiple half-percentage-point rate increases this year.
{snip}

Read more: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/canad ... 1648729812