andmar74

Re: Canada news and discussion

Post by andmar74 »

Canada? Isn't that the nice little puppy north of the US? :D
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

erowind wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:49 am All this trouble allegedly over borders. To the older members I'll sound like a broken record here, but perhaps it's been long enough some others may not have heard me say this before. Why not get rid of all borders? The Canadian border and the Mexican border alike. There's an incentive to end the drug war real quick. No more profiling and harassment of civilians as they try to go about their lives crossing between countries. No more traffic jams. Ease of trade. There are so many benefits!
This is something I would eventually support – but only in the distant future.

Here in Britain, for example, we'd have literally millions of refugees pouring into our country if that happened today. There'd be total chaos, our NHS would be overwhelmed, housing would face even greater shortages, crime would go up, the list goes on.

Perhaps in 100-200 years when we've established a system of post-scarcity and the world is a more benevolent place. But today? No way.

Much as I despise the Daily Mail, Fox News, etc. they aren't entirely wrong on this issue. I have great compassion for refugees, and those in genuine need of help are welcome here. But it needs to be controlled. It can't be a free for all. We need borders for the time being.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Blockade Backlash: Three-in-four Canadians tell convoy protesters, ‘Go Home Now’

February 14, 2022

If the goal of the Freedom Convoy was to capture the attention of millions of people in Canada and around the globe – mission accomplished.

If, however, the goal was to build support for their demands to end pandemic-related restrictions – it has backfired utterly.

New public opinion data from the non-profit Angus Reid Institute shows after more than two weeks of unrest, Canadians are now more likely to oppose measures sought by protesters.

https://angusreid.org/trudeau-convoy-tr ... -covid-19/

Xyls

Post by Xyls »

SLOLY OUT

Ottawa police chief who has overseen the greatest collapse in law and order in Canadian history has resigned. His incompetence has led to the imposition of the Emergencies Act for the first time ever...

Xyls

Post by Xyls »

So only 48 hours after arresting people with weapons at this very blockade where there were people ready to kill them. This is what we get. What the f*ck is happening? This is deepening the idea that the police are in it with the blockaders. Also during a pandemic? Unacceptable...

Total circus:

Xyls

Post by Xyls »

In some actual good news the Surrey police have cleared that border blockade.

I believe that means there is only 1 blockade remaining in Manitoba... and even it says it is going to fold tomorrow...

https://winnipegsun.com/news/news-news/ ... -wednesday

Those financial measures are CRUSHING and I don't think these blockaders want to totally ruin the rest of their lives over this...

That just leaves Ottawa... where there is still a hardcore contingent and it isn't clear if they are armed. They are putting out misinformation like this saying anything there is planted though...

Public Safety Minister Mendicino now has the RCMP taking command of the OPS after the ouster of their chief and he is toughening the language including saying an operation is imminent against anyone remaining in Ottawa. Could be about 150-200 hard core people still there...

Xyls

Post by Xyls »

About those 2000 firearms...

R8Z

Post by R8Z »

President of El Salvador comments about Canada: "Are these the people who like to give lessons to other countries about democracy and freedom? This is one of the top ranking countries in the “democracy index”? Your credibility on these topics is now worth 0."

Who would've thought that the banana republic would be leading the free world :D
(also as a side note: with their investments in BTC I wouldn't be surprised if they quickly become one of the richest and most free nations in the west)
And, as always, bye bye.
raklian

Post by raklian »

R8Z wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:17 pm (also as a side note: with their investments in BTC I wouldn't be surprised if they quickly become one of the richest and most free nations in the west)
I doubt it. Being allowed to transact a cryptocurrency for the exchange of products and services does not equate to greater liberties. In fact, they have nothing in common to each other, contrary to what you think. It is no different than citizens in a developing country choosing to transact in US dollars instead of the country's own currency. I hope you realize Bitcoin is pretty centralized for a cryptocurrency in terms of the hashrate monopoly concentrated in the hands of few miners who reside in countries like the USA. You could say American miners have de facto economic power over El Salvador by virtue of controlling their Bitcoin's worth.
To know is essentially the same as not knowing. The only thing that occurs is the rearrangement of atoms in your brain.
Xyls

Post by Xyls »

Lol Bitcoin making El Salvador rich? Delusion.

El Salvador’s plan to create the first Bitcoin-powered nation is tanking the economy—and is a mess by every measure

https://fortune.com/2022/01/19/el-salva ... ssed-debt/

El Salvador having credibility on freedom? I don't think.

Human rights groups voice concern about allegations of surveillance in El Salvador

https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/ ... 022-02-01/

Journalists Are Under Threat in El Salvador. I Know Because I Was Targeted

https://time.com/6140352/el-salvador-pe ... urnalists/