USA News and Discussions

weatheriscool

Re: USA News and Discussions

Post by weatheriscool »

Also don't expect people to accept you when you commit half the murders and crimes in our society and take no responsibility for your actions. Why should we be happy about it? It isn't our fault that we wish for better for ourselves. Time for you to do the same.
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

A new billionaire has been minted nearly every day during the pandemic
Tami Luhby
By Tami Luhby, CNN
Updated 2:32 PM EDT, Mon May 23, 2022
https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/22/economy/ ... index.html
The Covid-19 pandemic has been good for the wallets of the wealthy.
Some 573 people have joined the billionaire ranks since 2020, bringing the worldwide total to 2,668, according to an analysis released by Oxfam on Sunday. That means a new billionaire was minted about every 30 hours, on average, so far during the pandemic.

The report, which draws on data compiled by Forbes, looks at the rise of inequality over the past two years. It is timed to coincide with the kickoff of the annual World Economic Forum meeting in Davos, Switzerland, a gathering of some of the wealthiest people and world leaders.

Billionaires have seen their total net worth soar by $3.8 trillion, or 42%, to $12.7 trillion during the pandemic. A large part of the increase has been fueled by strong gains in the stock markets, which was aided by governments injecting money into the global economy to soften the financial blow of the coronavirus.
BaobabScion

Post by BaobabScion »

weatheriscool wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:11 pm
This is what happens when a people don't take any responsibility for their standards of living. Why expect other people to do everything for you? What I am saying is any area that is majority black needs to have sound and capable government, tax base and care about their infrastructure. This would do more to solve this. Expecting washington dc 2,000 miles away to do it all for you is dumb.

Blacks have 5 times the representation in the media, entertainment and in sports. Our society goes out of its way to support blacks and give them a voice. It is really quite impossible to do everything for them and them do nothing for their own betterment. Like the old saying goes,,you can drag a horse to water but you can't make them drink.
weatheriscool wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:26 pm Also don't expect people to accept you when you commit half the murders and crimes in our society and take no responsibility for your actions. Why should we be happy about it? It isn't our fault that we wish for better for ourselves. Time for you to do the same.

So you're anti-trans, anti-gay, and anti-black? Damn, you're 3-for-3. Impressive!

Will, Raklian, she's a keeper.
SerethiaFalcon

Post by SerethiaFalcon »

Lol! I have rarely met a black person that expects the government to do everything for them. In fact, a lot don't trust the government for many varied reasons. People do what they have to do to survive, however. Besides, hyper-individualism is a cultural inheritance from some European cultures with a more American flavor mixed in. African cultures are more community-oriented and collective, as a whole, which is reflected in a lot of black American culture as well (with some American individualism mixed in too). To me, the problems inherent between black Americans and white Americans have always come down to two things, lack of trust (some of that rooted in deeply ingrained cultural bias, power issues, and historical exploitation) and vastly different cultural outlooks (of course, dehumanization is also a serious issue, but can stem from these two things). That's my perspective, anyway. Communication, after all, is a two-way street. If one isn't willing to listen to someone vastly different from ourselves, then how do we expect that same individual or group to listen to us?

I was privileged as a kid to grow up as a minority outside of the US. When you are a minority, and most people don't look like you, sometimes, you learn things. I learned that people are individuals within a collective narrative or culture, some will be good, some will be bad, and most will be in between. There will always be talented and brilliant people within any group, and they won't always show it in the same way as other groups (as in, where you live, how you live, and expectations, all feed into how brilliant people exist in a group, what roles they take on, and what skills they master). Not only that, but history does have an impact on the present, as what was taught in family groups gets passed down from generation to generation. Some things get lost, but deep cultural wounds will affect people for a long, long time. For example, Botswana removed some of the San people from their homeland in the desert. A land that had deep spiritual and ancestral roots for them. When they did this, and of course, did not offer a very nice lifestyle outside of their homeland (poverty, cramped living conditions, etc), the San people started to have problems with drinking and other behaviors that had not been traditionally part of the issues they faced. What I found so striking is the problems mirrored the problems found in so many Native American communities when they were removed from their homelands, their spiritual and ancestral connection to the land being severed by a different culture with different outlooks on life. Those problems and the stress that happens pass down from generation to generation. Stories are told of the hardships, who to trust, who not to trust, etc. This creates a new cultural environment, whether they have to hide who they are or not (as a culture, not how they look), it definitely leads to a high-stress environment. I cannot begin to describe to you how much healthier cultures that have their homelands, and the connection to their ancestral lineage/gravesites, etc, are compared to those that have had that taken from them, in one way or another.

Also, abuse of power, exploitation, and dehumanization affects more than just the people/cultures being victimized. It also creates a culture of stress within the family/lineage of an abuser, especially if the cycle remains unbroken (aka, those who abuse others are more likely to abuse family members too). This is where I believe extremist views are most often born, in a family of dysfunction and violence. With abuse, it can be tricky. If the person/group being abused/exploited remains silent, they survive, but the abuse continues because it wasn't confronted, as there were no consequences to the behavior (and it gets worse and worse typically). If the abused/exploited speak up, there is a risk they won't survive, but also, there is a chance, with enough momentum, for the abuse/exploitation to end. The challenge then is that those victimized take back their personal power/agency and do not repeat what was done to them (this can be a very big ask, however).
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Britain ended the horror of school shootings after one single massacre

Published May 25, 2022

On March 13, 1996, an ostracized former Boy Scout leader around whom rumors of pedophilia had swirled for years, walked into the gym of Dunblane Primary School and fired at children aged five and six gathered at a gym class.

In minutes, 15 children and one teacher were dead. Another child died later from gunshot wounds. At least 17 others were injured before the attack ended with Thomas Hamilton shooting himself. The Scottish town—and all of Britain—were plunged into mourning. The Queen came and knelt at the school. Teddy bears poured in from all over the world.

Columbine wouldn’t happen for another three years; Sandy Hook was over a decade away. The shooting at Marjorie Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, would not happen for two decades. Yesterday’s shooting of 20 people, mostly children, at an elementary school in Uvalde, Texas, was nearly 30 years away. For a brief moment, the mass school shooting was a British horror.

Eight days after the shooting, Britain’s parliament convened a tribunal headed by Lord W. Douglas Cullen, a senior Scottish judge at the time, to conduct a public inquiry into the shooting. It opened on May 29 in the Scottish town of Stirling, and sat for 26 days. The entire proceeding was open to the public and recorded in full in shorthand.

https://qz.com/1216653/britain-ended-th ... -massacre/

caltrek

Post by caltrek »

Nearly 200 House Republicans Voted Against Supplying Baby Formula – That Is An Outrage
By Tiffanyann Goodson
May 24, 2022

Conclusion:
(Other Words) The House of Representatives just passed a bill to create a $28 million emergency fund to assist the FDA in increasing formula capacity. Stunningly, nearly 200 House Republicans voted against it — and Senate Republicans have signaled they may block it.

Voting against baby formula? This is an outrage. These lawmakers say they’re pro-life. To truly be pro-life, we must be concerned with feeding innocent children and helping struggling families.

My family has some privilege — we have full-time jobs, reliable child care, and a supportive network. In spite of all those advantages, we have just two weeks of food for our baby. My heart aches for families with far fewer resources.

This is part of a broader, systemic problem of our policymakers underinvesting in families. The proposed Build Back Better Act would have provided much more support for families with kids, but 50 Senate Republicans, plus Democrats Joe Manchin and Kyrsten Sinema, dumped that like it was spoiled milk.

This crisis — which has literally taken food from the mouth of my baby — has awakened a passion in me. It’s made me realize that we can’t be silent anymore. We must call out these lawmakers who won’t stand up for families — and tell them we’ll find new ones if they don’t.
Read more here: https://otherwords.org/200-members-of-c ... -outrage/
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

Report Shows FBI Spied on 3.3 Million Americans Without a Warrant, GOP Demands Answers
https://www.theepochtimes.com/report-sh ... lsuccess=1
Top House Republicans are demanding answers from the FBI after court-ordered information came to light showing that the federal agency had collected the information of over 3 million Americans without a warrant.

In a May 25 letter to FBI Director Christopher Wray, Reps. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) and Mike Turner (R-Ohio) asked Wray to explain why his agency had wiretapped and gathered personal information on over 3.3 million Americans without a warrant (pdf).

Limited authority to gather foreign intelligence information is granted by the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA).

Specifically, section 702 of the bill says: “the Attorney General (AG) and the Director of National Intelligence (DNI) may jointly authorize the targeting of (i) non-U.S. persons (ii) who are reasonably believed to be outside of the United States (iii) to acquire foreign intelligence information.”

However, this power can grant an expanding circle of possible searches to the FBI and other intel agencies, who can use the same power against American citizens who had any interaction with targeted foreigners.

Historically, insight into how FISA has been used against American citizens has been limited and hidden behind classified reports....
This is sickening. OUr government is truly evil.
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

caltrek wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 1:54 pm Nearly 200 House Republicans Voted Against Supplying Baby Formula – That Is An Outrage
By Tiffanyann Goodson
May 24, 2022

Conclusion:
(Other Words) The House of Representatives just passed a bill to create a $28 million emergency fund to assist the FDA in increasing formula capacity. Stunningly, nearly 200 House Republicans voted against it — and Senate Republicans have signaled they may block it.

Voting against baby formula? This is an outrage. These lawmakers say they’re pro-life. To truly be pro-life, we must be concerned with feeding innocent children and helping struggling families.

My family has some privilege — we have full-time jobs, reliable child care, and a supportive network. In spite of all those advantages, we have just two weeks of food for our baby. My heart aches for families with far fewer resources.

This is part of a broader, systemic problem of our policymakers underinvesting in families. The proposed Build Back Better Act would have provided much more support for families with kids, but 50 Senate Republicans, plus Democrats Joe Manchin and Kyrsten Sinema, dumped that like it was spoiled milk.

This crisis — which has literally taken food from the mouth of my baby — has awakened a passion in me. It’s made me realize that we can’t be silent anymore. We must call out these lawmakers who won’t stand up for families — and tell them we’ll find new ones if they don’t.
Read more here: https://otherwords.org/200-members-of-c ... -outrage/

This is bullshit on the part of the republicans. They better have a good excuse for doing so like a poison pill of some sort but as of this moment they haven't said anything about their reasoning. They need to vote and support helping our babies.