2022 midterm election thread

Yuli Ban

Re: 2022 midterm election thread

Post by Yuli Ban »

I mean, what else to expect? The GOP's just going to grift until the USA is a nonfunctional parody of a failed cyberpunk dystopia and the Dems are going to sleep through whatever victory they get while taking the blame for the shit the Republicans cause, as we're seeing play out at this exact moment.
And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Dems are going to get vaporized

Their last hope, their literal Hail Mary, is student loan forgiveness
And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

Yuli Ban wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:30 am Image

That's what happens when you shit on the American people by
1. Giving us the highest inflation in 40 years
2. No more help or checks that would have gone a long ways towards easing the pain. Trump looks pretty fucking good! That's sad considering the first 3 years of his term was for very limited government, but the last one he gave a lot of help and looks pretty good.
3. Nothing but war and ugliness worldwide. World was pretty peaceful under Trump. Nothing but disgrace under Biden.
4. Open borders. Say what you want but the american people hate the idea of giving our jobs to the rest of the world. Corporations only care about profit and have been selling us out for decades. Want one reason why Trump won in 2016? This is it! Biden think he can flood our country for the elites and rich and not anger a lot of the voting public??? lol

There's a damn good reason why Biden is in the tank.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

weatheriscool wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:48 am
Yuli Ban wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:30 am Image

That's what happens when you shit on the American people by
1. Giving us the highest inflation in 40 years
2. No more help or checks that would have gone a long ways towards easing the pain. Trump looks pretty fucking good! That's sad considering the first 3 years of his term was for very limited government, but the last one he gave a lot of help and looks pretty good.
3. Nothing but war and ugliness worldwide. World was pretty peaceful under Trump. Nothing but disgrace under Biden.
4. Open borders. Say what you want but the american people hate the idea of giving our jobs to the rest of the world. Corporations only care about profit and have been selling us out for decades. Want one reason why Trump won in 2016? This is it! Biden think he can flood our country for the elites and rich and not anger a lot of the voting public??? lol

There's a damn good reason why Biden is in the tank.
Ironically a few of the things you said was IN SPITE of Trump.
Heck, the inflation is directly caused by the trade war Trump started plus the tax cuts that went to the billionaires. I remember as soon as it started, people were saying "Welp, inflation's about to go through the roof." I even distinctly remember saying "What the f*ck does he think he's doing?" because I thought he was going to win in 2020 and give himself hyperinflation come 2021. Now I see he just pawned it off to Biden. Either way, the Chinese utterly fucking trounced Trump so badly that I can't help but laugh at what he thought he was going to accomplish with it. Then I realize "Nothing. He just did it without thinking." Biden's failure to contain it was almost impossible anyway, but I can't say he's even made the ATTEMPT to try.

As for the wars: it's been noted multiple times that Trump's administration is the only reason we weren't bombing North Korea, Venezuela, and Iran at the same time. The man himself wanted to press the button multiple times, but the men around him stopped him from trying. Fucker wanted us to attack Venezuela so badly that we were probably within days of doing so at one point, and god only knows how badly that would have affected things, without bringing North Korea and Iran into the mix.
If the world was at all any more peaceful under Trump, the guy who bungled our response to COVID mind you, it was because people were too scared of the madman to try anything, not because he was such a good statesman.

And open borders, well you got me there. But I'm not entirely sure why you credit this as a pro-Trump thing when the man literally gave one of the biggest windfalls in history to those same corporations in 2017. He was obviously trying to rile nativist sentiments to get votes; if he actually cared, why did he all but give trillions to those same corporations who are for open borders like Reagan and Bush and rather than pull a Teddy Roosevelt to crush big business's exploitation of cheap foreign labor? It's basically because business rules America, and even Trump wouldn't actually attack the business class. But that leaves open borders a bogus problem solved by stupid stunts like the wall, because big businesses will basically just sell the same ropes and ladders cheap foreign labor will use to cross it. The "limited government" argument fundamentally is double-think when paired with anti-immigrant sentiments. If you're pro-limited government, you're pro-open borders because it takes a strong government to enforce borders and punish companies that exploit open-borders. This whole GOP "limited government" grift is a scam and has been for decades. If Trump wanted to be more effective, he should have been more authoritarian. He's the only one who could have ended the Republicans' dumbass word games and openly embraced authoritarianism, which is the only possible way to achieve the goals Republicans espouse.

Trump's solely good credit was the checks he sent out. I'm still baffled by that one, because the GOP was desperately trying to thwart it. It's blatantly obvious by this point that the American republic's only going to survive if a basic income is implemented— and I say that as someone deeply suspicious of UBI because of its easy potential to chain the citizenry to the ruling party.
Everything's gone to such shit that a $1,000 monthly check for every American is basically the only way we're going to keep the economy solvent. I wouldn't be surprised if Trump actually floats that idea if (or should I say WHEN) he gets back into office, while Biden sleeps on it.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

On the note about China completely BTFOing Trump's pathetic attempt at a trade war:
China’s Trade Surplus Hit a Record in 2021. These Stocks Helped Make It Happen.
Biden's slept through any effort to undo this because "nothing will fundamentally change." He's not going to rattle China, and has been basically tolerating every action they take against NATO's efforts against Ukraine because they're just too strong. Still, without the trade war, they wouldn't have been in such a dominant position so soon.

To this day, I'm still flummoxed by what Trump thought he was going to accomplish. The only hope America has in this field is in the possibility that China's property bubble is SO overwhelming that it takes the whole country down. But the thing is, the trade war if nothing else kept China afloat for years longer than they otherwise would have been in that scenario (and considering Russia's getting locked out of the West and India remains loyal to Russia and apparently is working around their relations with China as a result, that just puts China in an even MORE dominant place). It's just a mess.

A mess I can completely see the Republicans exploiting to a supermajority in 2024, and then promptly doing nothing to resolve (that doesn't involve nuclear war).
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

GOP Rep. Upton, who voted to impeach Trump, will not seek reelection
Source: Washington Post
Rep. Fred Upton (R-Mich.), one of 10 Republican lawmakers who voted to impeach President Donald Trump, will not seek reelection.

Upton announced his decision on the House floor Tuesday morning and in an email to supporters.

“Even the best stories has a last chapter. This is it for me,” Upton said. “Thanks, again, to the people of my district who placed their faith and confidence in me all these great years.”

Upton, who has served since 1987, also backed the bipartisan infrastructure bill and received death threats afterward for helping President Biden get a legislative win.

Read more: https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... eelection/
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

Central Californians Head to the Polls to Fill Devin Nunes’ Vacant Congressional Seat
by Dustin Manduffie
April 5, 2022

https://www.courthousenews.com/central- ... onal-seat/

Introduction:
(Courthouse News) — Former California State Assembly leader Connie Conway was leading Tuesday night in the special election to determine who will replace former Republican Congressman Devin Nunes in representing California’s 22nd Congressional District.

But as Conway, a Republican, had only 34.5% of the vote as of 10:20 p.m. with 83.7% of precincts reporting, it appears that the race is headed to a runoff election, which is scheduled for June 7. In second place with 19.9% of the vote, was Democrat Lourin Hubbard, while Democrat Eric Garcia and Republican Matt Stoll had each garnered 15.1%.

Republicans Michael Maher and Elizabeth Heng trailed with 8.8% and 6.5% of the vote, respectively.

Facing a newly redrawn district map that would have left the former congressman fighting an uphill battle for reelection, Nunes instead chose to retire from the House at the end of 2021 to take the CEO job at former President Donald Trump’s new media company.

Because District 22 will disappear at the end of the year, whomever replaces Nunes will only be present in Congress for a few months. Governor Gavin Newsom scheduled the April 5 special election to fill Nunes’ vacant seat, which was expected to cost local taxpayers between $1.4 million and $1.6 million, according to the Fresno County Registrar of Voters.
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

Local Republicans are Rejecting Trump’s 'Carpetbagger' Candidate in a North Carolina Primary
by Alex Henderson
April 7, 2022

https://www.alternet.org/2022/04/local- ... ry-report/

Introduction:
(Alternet) In a GOP primary in North Carolina’s 13th Congressional District, former President Donald Trump has endorsed 26-year-old MAGA Republican and football player Bo Hines. Trump likes loyalists, and Hines — who Trump considers an “unwavering America First patriot” — fits that description. But according to Politico reporter Natalie Allison, some local Republicans are rebelling against Trump’s endorsement — as Hines doesn’t “live anywhere near” that district and is being slammed by locals as a “carpetbagger.”

“With Hines set to join the former president on stage at a rally in Johnston County (on April 9), a local effort is afoot to sink his candidacy before it takes off,” Allison explains in an article published on April 7. “Through newspaper advertisements, e-mail blasts and door-knocking, some local Republicans are trying to spread the word that Hines, Trump’s favored candidate in the 13th Congressional District, is a carpetbagger. In their view, the former president was misguided in endorsing Hines over homegrown conservatives invested in local party politics.”

Allison adds, “The revolt against Trump by conservatives who adore him, while rare, isn’t the first of its kind this year. Trump has issued scores of midterm endorsements, in some cases for candidates who are all but unknown to local GOP officials and activists.”
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

In Race for Pennsylvania Governor and Senate Seat, Early Leads are Scarce
by Alexandra Jones
April 8, 2022

https://www.courthousenews.com/in-race- ... re-scarce/

Introduction:
(Courthouse News) It was October 2020 when U.S. Senator Pat Toomey, a Pennsylvania Republican, announced that he would retire from Congress at the end of 2022 and, perhaps more notably, that he wouldn’t be running that year for governor either.

“The reasons I have reached this decision are not political, they’re personal,” said Toomey, who went on to note that he’d then been in office for 18 out of the last 24 years.

Toomey, a strong Republican vote who had won two Senate terms in the Keystone State and previously completed three terms in the House, said he was looking to spend more time with his family and perhaps return to the private sector.

The senator’s absence has been deeply felt this year as candidates swarm one open-seat race for the gubernatorial primary and another to find Toomey’s successor. Because Pennsylvania is a closed-primary state, voters in primary elections can choose only among candidates running in their own political parties.

“We haven’t had a race like this in Pennsylvania since probably going back to ‘78 when you had an open race for governor—and now it’s combined with an open Senate race,” said West Chester professor of political science, John Kennedy, who has written extensively on Pennsylvania elections.
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

'Nina Is a Real Leader Who Fights': Sanders Endorses Turner for Congress
by Jake Johnson
April 13, 2022

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2022/ ... r-congress

Introduction:
(Common Dreams) Sen. Bernie Sanders on Tuesday endorsed progressive firebrand Nina Turner's campaign for the U.S. House seat in Ohio's 11th Congressional District, calling her a "real leader who fights for higher wages, Medicare for All, and affordable prescription drugs."

"I know Nina and I know her heart," Sanders (I-Vt.) said of Turner, who co-chaired his 2020 presidential campaign. "With Nina, we know that she will not be afraid to take on the corporate interests that are driving up the price of gas, food, and just about everything else."

"Nina knows the job is more than just voting the right way," the Vermont senator added. "It's about leadership."

Sanders' endorsement comes less than a month out from the May 3 Democratic primary in Ohio's 11th, where Turner is rematching Rep. Shontel Brown less than a year after the two faced off in a heated race for the House seat vacated by Marcia Fudge, the secretary of Housing and Urban Development.
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill